It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
(female)

Sugar Sugar 31 HB User
What kind of diet? Vitamins?

I have seen a few post on here related to low carb and other diets. I was wondering if they helped, what kind of diets should I look into, and some examples of meals would be great.
Right now I have a crummy diet. I usually eat once a day...supper. I'm not a huge meat fan, tho I do eat it but prefer veggies and fruits any day to a "meat and potatoes" kind of meal.
Also, what kinds of vitamins should I look into? I can't tolerate anything with iron. What about herbal remedies? Teas? ETC...?
Any advice on diets/herbs/vitamins would be appreciated.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: What kind of diet? Vitamins?

Breakfast: oatmeal with flaxseed, 1/2 cup milk or scrambled eggs with cheese and toast

Snack: orange or orange juice, 1/2 banana

Lunch: broth based soup and tuna with 40 cal bread with 4 grams of fiber, light cream cheese and all fruit

or protein shake with berries and metamucil

(I carry dry cereals for when i get hungry so i won't go to McDonalds)

Supper:1 serving meat (mostly chicken), (once a week salmon), 1 veggie and a dark green leafy salad, same toast

or chicken stirfry with one tbs oil and brown rice

or brown rice and black beans with salad

snack: same toast with light cream cheese and all fruit. low-fat hot chocolate
nothing after 7:30 pm

magnesium, malic acid, mineral supplement, CQ10, vitamin A, fish oil and sometimes flax oil, chromium, ester E and time-release C, B complex, biotin, I take iron because i have heavy long periods. I don't take a multi-vitamin.

green tea and noni juice when i can afford it
64 oz of water a day.
1 4 oz soda a day
dark chocolate when i start my period
I take my supplements with my meals

Hope i helped, It has been hard to stick with this diet during Christmas holiday. It sounds like a lot of calories but its not. The bread has flax in it also and with 4 grams of fiber plus the oatmeal and salad, i don't get constipated. i love the protein shakes with berries and oj and banana, and plain yogurt but it has a lot of calories and i get hungry again too soon.

Donna

PS I have lost 14 lbs on this diet with walking and my balance ball work out. I start yoga in January and water aerobics when i can find a swimsuit. Then i plan to step up to an aerobics class w/o step. i only lift 2 to 5 lb weights because of chronic myofascial pain with latent trigger points.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
(female)

Sugar Sugar 31 HB User

Thank you, that was very helpful.
This may be TMI but I have horrible dirreah when my pain is at it's worst. Not for sure if that's due to FM or my nerves from being in pain. Would the fiber help regulate that (I know fiber makes you go) or would it make it worse?

In the world of FM, what foods are the worst? Sweets, fats? I guess what I'm asking (these days I couldn't find my own butt with both hands).....is the diet part of your routine due to the fact that eating healthier = more energy and overall better health or has certain foods been proven to ease the pain/flare ups of FM?

Congrats on the weight loss! Losing weight is hard to do. Thank you again for your reply.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I try to follow a low sugar diet, sugar seems to set my fibro in motion and make it worse. I have also read the low glycemic index diet and followed it until my hubby started chemo and can only eat soup. I refuse to fix two meals I don't have children at home so I just eat what he eats. Anyway the glycemic index diet seemed to help too.

Vitamins I take are calcium, magnesium and malic acid Bcomplex vits AD and E coQ10 and fish oil. Thats about it.

Glojer

Old 01-01-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

Hi,

My diet is mostly non-processed foods. Typically, you can find those on the outside edge of the supermarkets. I never believed in the low-carb diet. Eating natural "whole" carb foods is actually healthy...good for some people with adult-onset diabetes (surprisingly so).

I changed to eating brown rice instead of white rice, and actually when I can make my own cereals with wheat berries, I do that. Wheat berries are the actual wheat seed. Once we tried to make natural homemade bread out of these wheat berries, but it actually jambed the bread machine. The dough was too think. So, for now, I'll eat the processed bread, but with whole wheat. So for a lot of us, I say to avoid processed foods, but it really hard to have only non-processed foods for some of us.

Avoiding processed foods is good because one is not consuming all the hidden sugars that are within. These hidden sugars have many different names like corn syrup. Check those processed foods, even catsup (ketchup) and you'll find those sugars. Those sugars add calories but do not provide nutrients.

When my fibromyalgia symptoms were very painful about 20 years ago, I totally got away from any sweets, candies, cookies, cakes, donuts, ice cream and pastries. I mean I went "cold turkey". I just decided I'm not eating any of that junk again. Now, maybe once a year, I'll cheat a little, but that is it. I was so determined to beat these strange pains that doctors could not understand, that I was ready to change anything.

Then I started with Ginseng herb which was great for my muscle pains and shins after I tried to run. When I got sicker about 17 years ago, where I just didn't want to live any more, I got back to taking herbs. I read many books about it, and decided to go on this route alone...totally alone. For which doctor was going to help me? All they did with their drugs was make me worse or do nothing for me.

Later I had my mercury fillings removed about 11 or 12 years ago, after I found a lot more pain when one of my teeth broke and the mercury amalgam came apart in my mouth.. I continued on this path of good healthy foods, herbs, and less toxins. Today, I'm a changed person as I stated before many times.

It's great to be healthy. It was such a long road. There was no easy fix...but I followed that natural path...doing things that made me feel better...without knowing the science about it. Why? I don't know. But I do know when I ate better, took those herbs, and got rid of those poisonous fillings, that I'm now healthy. I'm so healthy that I now run almost 20 miles a week.

I hope I have helped. For I believe that for some of us, there is a natural way to be healed. I call my herbs "magic". Why do they make me feel better? I don't know. But they do, through much experimentation. They did wonderful things. When I was so sick about 17 years ago, they would give me rashes in the area of pain...horrible itchy rashes that if I scratched they would itch even more. With aloe vera, I controlled the itching.

What pulled me through all of this, was constant prayer...belief that with Faith I would be healed. It was impossible doctors might say to be cured, but for me there was someone bigger and more powerful than those doctors, that kept me on the right road of recovery. It was those silent words of encouragement and support that I heard, to go beyond traditional care.

For vitamins that you asked about, I mostly tried to get them from foods. That's why I mentioned the type of foods so much. If you would like to know about the herbs and how I prepared them, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
(female)

Sugar Sugar 31 HB User

Thanks G and R.
G, I hope your husband is okay. How is he doing?

R. I live in very tiny, tiny, blink and you'll miss it town about 2 hours away from anything near a "city". I have tried to find herbs, all natural foods, etc.... and obviously they must think "hillbillies" do
n't eat those types of foods since they are nowhere to be found. As hard as it is, I'm going to have to decrease then cut off the sugar supply. I'm not a big eater but I drink Mello Yellow like there's no tomorrow.
I also like sweet tea......very sweet tea and have made it with Splenda.....do you use splenda as a substitute? It was just as good as regular sweetend tea. Maybe I won't throw my body into shock if I can atleast drink something that tastes sweet

Old 01-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Sugar, my husband is holding his own thanks for asking. Using splenda is one of the ways I have cut back on sugar. Like rody says you need to watch for the corn sugar and high fructose syrups and such, but just making a conscious effort to cut back on as much sugar and fat as possible will help. I try not to eat deep fried, breaded fat foods. I really love them, and I also love sweet tea but I use splenda and stay away from the fried foods.

Don't try to do everything at once, take baby steps and eliminate as much as you feel comfortable with at first. Unless you know 'cold turkey' is the best for you. A lot of times when we do the 'cold turkey' thing we set ourselves up for failure by being too drastic all at once.

Also, start on just a few vitamins and work your way up to more. Or if you are not a pill taker or have a touchy stomach get a good multivitamin and do a trial an error test to see which supplements you want to add if any.

I hope some of these suggestions help, I know for me watching what goes in my mouth is a big help in keeping the fibro in it's place. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Glojer

Old 01-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes, as Glojer states, it's difficult to go "cold turkey". Most people do not. Taking baby steps is best. For me, I was just so mad at being sick...I was sick of being sick, and that it was one of my first attempts at eating healthy.

I don't take any artificial sweetners. I would be too afraid to take any "unnatural" components. But I can understand the sweet tooth. I get most of my sweet foods from fruits. For example, I mix dates with my peanuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and raisins. I eat that as a snack.

If you want a substitute for ice cream, try a banana shake. Take two or three ripe bananas, some ice, pumpkin seeds, and a little bit of milk...and run them through a blender. I use a Vitamix which is a heavy-duty blender, that chops up the seeds and ice as well as mixes everything up. You don't need the seeds, but it gives it a nice nutty taste.

Eating healthy to fight fibromyalgia and other diseases takes time, to learn what best works for you. For example, some people are allergic to milk, so you could just substitute a little water to the above mixture.

One time I made a natural apple pie. I made the crust out of wheat berries, eggs, and so forth and just baked it all together with the mashed up apples. It was really sweet. The cooking enhanced the sweetness. I modified the recipe to exclude any baking soda or anything artificial. I thought it tasted great but not everyone thought it tasted great...but then one has to experiment some...to make something wholesome...but something that tastes good too.

Even though the pie didn't taste like the traditional pies we commonly eat, I was astonded how sweet it was. I would think that some modifications could change that. I'll have to try it again sometime, keeping all the ingredients "natural".

Old 01-04-2006, 07:34 AM   #9
(female)

Texcin HB User

Hi Sugar! Taking sugar or carbs from your diet does help. I haven't quite completely . I went the baby steps route. If I need something sweet , I have a piece of dark chocolate or maybe one cookie, instead of the all day nibbling on sweets that I use to do. I've cut back on carbs too. I eat brown rice, sweet potatoes, more green veggies and more fruit. I hated fruit, I still make myself eat that instead of a sweet. I gave up all sodas. I kept putting less and less sweet in my tea, til I don't use anything now. I use Stevia in my coffee or if I need added sweetness. You can get use to the taste. You have to have some self control or stubborness! I guess when you see it makes you feel better, you learn.

I take Barley Max. It's got two of the Super green foods, plus some vit. and minerals. All natural, organic whole food.
I take an Omega 3, calcium +D, garlic, and extra B12. That's it. I do better with this , than a multiple vitamin.

Always keep moving too!

Old 01-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #10
(female)

ctheri HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhody
Then I started with Ginseng herb which was great for my muscle pains and shins after I tried to run. When I got sicker about 17 years ago, where I just didn't want to live any more, I got back to taking herbs. I read many books about it, and decided to go on this route alone...totally alone. For which doctor was going to help me? All they did with their drugs was make me worse or do nothing for me.

It's great to be healthy. It was such a long road. There was no easy fix...but I followed that natural path...doing things that made me feel better...without knowing the science about it. Why? I don't know. But I do know when I ate better, took those herbs, and got rid of those poisonous fillings, that I'm now healthy. I'm so healthy that I now run almost 20 miles a week.

I hope I have helped. For I believe that for some of us, there is a natural way to be healed. I call my herbs "magic". Why do they make me feel better? I don't know. But they do, through much experimentation. They did wonderful things. When I was so sick about 17 years ago, they would give me rashes in the area of pain...horrible itchy rashes that if I scratched they would itch even more. With aloe vera, I controlled the itching.

For vitamins that you asked about, I mostly tried to get them from foods. That's why I mentioned the type of foods so much. If you would like to know about the herbs and how I prepared them, please let me know. Thanks.
Which vitamins are you trying to get from food? You mention ginseng and staying away from sugar/processed foods and removing your mercury fillings (I did this too... :-)

Thanks!
-Cindy

Old 01-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Cindy,

It's always great to hear of another person that has taken that route to remove toxins (such as mercury fillings) and eat healthy. Have you improved like I did?

The foods that I've found to be filled with vitamins and minerals are green leafy vegetables, whole grains, seeds and nuts. Basically, by staying away from processed foods (as much as possible), the ratio of vitamins and minerals to calories is so much higher. In my salads I eat brocolli, spinach, cilantro, lettuce, tomatoes, plus other vegetables. The whole grains I consume are wheat berries, brown rice, and millet mainly. I've taken others, but those three seem to be regular for me. Millet by far is the most bland tasting but the easiest on the digestive tract (for those starting on high fiber diets it's best). I use the Vitamix to grind up the whole grains and make my cereals. I have these cereals in the evening; not in the morning. I think the low carb diet thing is wrong in part, because I believe it's carbs from processed foods that's wrong. I eat tons of healthy wholesome carbs, and combined with my running, I'm not overweight. (I lost about 20 to 30 pounds when I first changed my diet about 20 years ago...and never gained it back.)

Years ago, before I linked my pains to the mercury fillings, I would make a huge drink of raw spinach and raw brocolli (made from my Vitamix, mixed with water). I experimented with these calcium rich foods and found that it reduced the pains. Raw almonds helped too. I know this might sound silly to some, but I was trying anything to not be sick. It didn't matter what doctors said; I was going to beat this. After being told that I couldn't run by a doctor for any considerable distance (a hundred yards), I found ways to run longer with some problems. When the muscle pains increased, I would increase the consumption of my veggie drink. I have to say, drinking that much raw vegetable drink was hard to swallow, but it kept me well enough until I removed the mercury fillings and had them replaced with less toxic ones.

Today, I try to eat at least 5 salads a week. And I think eating raw foods is good too, because it provides enzymes. It's rare that I ever have to drink those special veggie drinks, since I'm so healthy now.

I still take the herbs occasionally. The ginseng was one of my first "magic" herbs to have a profound affect on my health. I hope that answers your question.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:22 AM   #12
(female)

ctheri HB User

Thank you rhody for your information!

It sounds like you've taken on a wonderfully healthy diet! The mecury fillings - I don't feel the difference.. but I haven't really detoxed either.

I too, am slowly changing - but I admit, I *love* my sweets. I was underweight until I quit smoking 1 1/2 years ago and went up to 5'4, 120 lbs.. so *I* Feel the difference. I feel best at 110..

Thankfully, my job requires light exercise, but to beat the stress I'm going to start yoga soon... and I called a message therapist to see if she can teach me some techniques to use on myself.

My mother is beating her Lupus with diet - so she is my inspiration, but I don't think I could do what she does - no salt, sugar, milk, gluten (most flours), processed foods, meats - which leaves fruits and veggies. I've been slowly eliminating things from my diet to see what hurts me (red meat hurts me and is what I ate before I went to the doctor so I'd be flaring and he could see what hurt... ) I respect the diet you follow - it's hard to find the right answers.

I'm slowly coming to terms with the "you are what you eat" philosophy. I've been tempted to go to a "DAN" (Defeat Autism Now) doctor because they do a LOT with foods and natural/herbal means to help autistic children (like my son) with diets to alleviate symptoms. Anyone go to that extreme?

-Cindy

Old 01-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

I guess I might be considered going to the extreme too. That is why I have cured myself of these pains, where very few others can. I didn't get better after the mercury fillings right away either (other than my headaches that went away and the teeth tightened up in place). I got impatient, and took anti-mercury components right after the mercury fillings were removed and got extremely sick. I've written about this on other posts. So with that disastrous consequence, I decided to only stick with my special diet and herbs and slowly improved over years. I think that's the best way to detox...slowly...based off of my experience.

I should mention that I also consume lots of fruit, especially bananas because the are so easy and quick to eat. It seems like every time that I eat too much meat, my muscles go back to getting a little sore, so I'm also on a low-meat diet.

I've also written about the herbs that I've taken. Years ago, I would take lots of them. In those days, I was experimenting, try very hard to be cured...I was in unknown territory...doing things that very few orthodox doctors would ever know about. This past year I took my herbs again after my left elbow area got a little sore in the spring. After taking the herbs (herbal teas), I got a rash in the summer on that same elbow, and the pains went away. It's my "red badge of courage". It's the only real thing that people can see. They can't see the pain, but they can see the rash. Another example of how herbs have helped: My right arm, and thumb started hurting a little bit last month. It's like a bruise, that if someone shakes your hand, it hurts a little. Two days of taking my herbs again, the pain is diminished and I expect that it will go away completely.

Part of the reason that I still get these pains I believe, is I'm always pushing myself to either run fast or exercise with small hand-held weights. I found the hand-held weights in front of the TV on my non-run days are best.

Oh, and I should mention that I cheat a little too. A little pizza or other processed foods is OK on occasion. But the desserts and sweets are definitely still a no-no.

I'm glad to hear that your mother has helped herself with her Lupus this way. I'm a firm believer that we can help ourselves get better of a lot of conditions that doctors don't understand, by taking better care of ourselves. And even if changing to a healthy diet doesn't help, it certainly doesn't hurt.

Closed Thread