It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 04:51 AM   #1
(female)

MissHelen HB User
short term memory loss

I just started reading this forum. I've been on others. My question is this. Does anyone else have short term memory problems and cognitive problems? I've had mri's twice over the last three years and there's nothing there. The neuropsychological test show "attention" problems. I asked if it's like ADD and the neurologist said no. My ability to do anything more complicated than eating I have trouble. I've been in real estate sales for years. Used to do 70+ deals a year. I just had to take on a partner, so I can keep working. I was told I had fibromyalgia about 10 years ago. I also have hypothyroid, which is in control and diabetes that's pretty much under control

Thanks

Old 01-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: short term memory loss

greetings miss helen,
in time you will incorporate new tools, like note pads and post its and partners. till then relax as best you can. we all have memories that go hide. i have a little calendar book i carry in my purse. i call it my brain. i have been relying on this for almost a decade. it works. the only thing i have to remember is to look at it, and i am doing mostly perfect with that.
i get alot of exercise walking in circles here at home wondering what i was after and why and then where is it. by the time i find it i wonder why i wanted it. giggle. i learned to laugh at myself and invite others to laugh with me.
in real estate it is not possible to forget anything due to the delicate nature of your work. you help others find their sanctuary. you are smart to take a partner in. never be afraid to ask for help. you will be amazed how gentle people can be.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

MissHelen,

I second what bluelakelady says. I have a little calendar I carry in my purse and the big one I use at my home. It has everything on it otherwise I would forget who I am. I also make lists of things I need and places I need to go. Remembering what day it is sometimes is also a challange. Relaxing and not worrying about it is a step in the right direction. For some reason the concentrating and paying attention to remember things seems to be the hardest for me. I take pen and paper to the docs office and write down what I want to ask and the answers to my questions. If I get a phone call, pen and paper are right there so that I may jot down something important I need to remember.

Taking a partner is a wonderful idea. My hubby and I did real estate in one fashion or another for years. People we know who were the most successful always had partners and others to help them out. I think you are just doing the smart thing for your business.

Glojer

Old 01-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

MissHelen, I have the grand honor of being named "Queen of All Lists" by my good friends. They are helping me take in stride as best as possible all the bizarre things our bodies seem to now do or in some cases not do. Post it notes literally help me keep my mind relatively intact. I label everything and leave myself reminders on the bathroom mirror, coffee pot, and backdoor! I also have 1 LARGE calendar that we keep in our kitchen. Everyone writes down appts., events, etc for me to help me reassure myself constantly that I am working my way through what I am supposed to accomplish or acknowledge that day. I keep an identical, but regular size calendar in my bedroom, and the den with main events highlighted and times to be there. Same thing for my pocketbook. My roommate has been a lifesaver. She and my son do their best to keep me straight!.....LOL good luck to them.... hee hee
~Mim

Old 01-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

PS I learned these helpful tricks as I took care of my grandmother who eventually died of Alzheimers. Keep in mind, good can come out of the hardest and darkest times.
~ Mim

Old 01-24-2006, 05:56 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

well said mim, well said. i applaud you for caring for your grandmother. it is the deepest honor to care for our elders. there is so much we have to learn from them before they leave.
i use the mirror in the bathroom too! it is the one room i absolutely know i will go in more that once a day, tee hee.
peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread