It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

tazz72 HB User
Question Effexor XR For Fibromyalgia???

Hi,
Just checking out this sight!!! I am suffering from Fibromyalgia/chronic pain. I have tried all kinds of therapy, Massage/Chiropractor/Accunpuncture etc.
My doctor has now suggested I try taking Effexor XR to try & ease my daily symptoms/pain & discomfort. Is there anyone using this medication for Fibro & how is it going. I tried Elavil for a while but I coulden't tolerate it very well and had to eventually discontinue.

Last edited by tazz72; 04-18-2006 at 10:50 AM. Reason: misspelledword!!!

Old 04-19-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Effexor XR or Fibromyalgia???

Hi,

Just a note on Effexor. It can cause agitation and it is hard to come off of. I personally wouldn't take it and in my honest opinion i don't see how it could help with you fibromyalgia.

Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
(female)

secondfiddle2 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Effexor XR or Fibromyalgia???

I've Been On Effexor For Over 4 Yrs Now And Have Had No Adverse Reactions At All..i Think This Is The Cadillac Of All Anti Depression, Anxiety Medications.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
(female)

secondfiddle2 HB User
Smile Re: Effexor XR or Fibromyalgia???

I Was Also Recently Diagnosed W/fibromyalgia, However This Is A Very Disputed Diagnosis Among The Medical Field..some Beleive That Fibromyalgia Is Really Just Symptoms Related To Anxiety And Depression..ie: Aches, Pains, Sore Muscles, Etc..
I Dunno..i'm Overweight As Well Which Adds To The Mess..my Guess..weight Loss..good Anti Depressents Or Anxiety Meds, Well Balanced Diet, Low In Fats And Excercise Would Make It Better..

Old 04-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
(female)

secondfiddle2 HB User
Post Re: Effexor XR or Fibromyalgia???

For The Record, Effexor Is Not A Pain Reliever At All..it's For Anxiety And Depression Only.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:23 AM   #6
(female)

tazz72 HB User
Re: Effexor XR For Fibromyalgia???

Hi Second Fiddle,

Nice to hear from you!!I have recently just begun taking Effexor and am hoping it will show some relief soon. I realize it is an antidepressant(not a painreliever) used to treat Depression/Anxiety but according to my GP people suffering from Fibro/Chronic Pain also have low seratonin levels similar to Depresion patients and these medications can also benefit Fibro patients. I am very reluctant to take any meds but at this point I will try anything. I was taking Amitriptylene but coulden't tolerate it.
Thanks for the advice!!Take Care!!

Old 04-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
(female)

buddy100 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Effexor XR or Fibromyalgia???

I would not take Effexor if I were you. It's bad stuff. It has been known to lead people to think "suicide." It did me and I tried it 3 times before I ran into a great dr. who took me off of it and put me on Cymbalta. 30mgs. I can't tell you how it has changed my life. I don't know how it affects my Fibro, I take alot of natural supplements for that. Go to a good Health Food Store, ask alot of questions to see if you trust their knowledge, and go from there. And Good Luck to you

Last edited by Administrator; 04-24-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:25 AM   #8
(female)

the mad katter HB User

It is good to remember that everyone reacts differently to these anit-depressants. Eventhough we all suffer with a similar thing, Drugs affect us diffently. BUT, my personla experience with Effexor was not that great because it has a speedy type of effect. And what comes along with "speedy"? Well, muscle tension for me. Which kind of throws me a strange curveball. I am now looking for another drug, but I would try Effexor because I was on it for 6 years and it served me fine until Firbomyalgia popped its ugly little head up! So, it *could* work! It definately does improve my mood...

Good Luck! And welcome to the site. You will find many friends here willing to listen and help if you need it. Much love,

The Mad Katter

Old 04-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
(female)

galpster HB User

I started taking effexor a few months ago and at first I loved it but then it had some intimate side affects that I hated (I can't have an O) anymore. So I decided to stop taking them. I followed my doctors taper for about 2 weeks then just stopped taking them all together - I have never been so sick in my life. I had horrible dizziness, vertigo, nausea, it was horrid. I had to go back on it. Now I feel I'm stuck on a drug that I can't get off of.

Had I known the side effects and the withdrawls of it I wouldn't have taken it...your milage may very...

Old 04-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
(female)

mrsnank HB User

OK heres the deal. Effexor is usually given to fibro patients for the seretonin and energy booster. I know someone who takes it for anxiety I think and absolutely loves it.

Well in my personal experience, it did basically nothing for me. Now, when given with a cocktail of medications for fibro it can be affective because fibro people ARE lacking in seratonin. Coming off of it is another thing alltogether. The withdrawls are horrid as another person mentioned. I weened off a bit then stopped completely. It took about 4-5 days for the withdrawl symptoms to go away. I spent most of the time in bed because I could not stand with the dizziness and nausea. I would never never never go back on that medication for those reasons. Even if I forgot and missed a day I would know immediately it was time to take it. NOT FUN NOR PRETTY. For those people it works for, great, keep on keeping on. Sadly with fibro different meds work for different people. Therein lies the difficulty with treating this awful disease.

Galpster, I reccommend reading up on it before taking it and decide if it's right for you. I would however as your doctor if there is another seratonin inhibitor you could try instead just incase it doesn't work for you and you have to suffer the withdrawl symptoms as well. Good luck making your decision

Old 07-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #11
(female)

Mora HB User

Love how "normal" I now feel after all these years of misdiagnosis and meds that do not touch the pain, the brain fog and the hopelessness. BUT taking Effexor and not having any more "O's" has to be my cruelest fate!!!

Old 07-18-2006, 05:25 AM   #12
(female)

caronp25 HB User
Re: Effexor XR for Fibromyalgia???

I took Effexor XR and it did nothing for my pain and when I came off of it I had terrible side effects.

My doctor also had my try Cymbalta which at the time I was in such bad pain I was willing to try anything. I was suprised and relived that it did help my pain, then my doctor such a nice guy had my stop it. Again with the horrible side effects. At this point I will not try another anit-depressnt at all because of the withdrawl symptoms. My Effexor XR lasted almost 3mo. Cymbalta thank goodness only 3weeks.

Good luck with what ever you do.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #13
(female)

Darla821 HB User

I've taken Effexor for several years and it has been a terrific help. It does help you relax and sleep both of which can help the fibromyalgia. My doctor recently prescribed a low dose of Elavil. I took one dose, had horrible nightmares and quit. She then prescribed Ambien. I took my second dose last night (1/2 of the prescribed 10 mg) and had to come home sick today. I've been dizzy and vomited and now have some sort of ringing in my ears.
I would strongly endorse Effexor before any of the sleep aids. Ambien has a low incidence of side effects but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I'm in hell today. If you try the Effexor, let me know how you like it. Both of my sisters are on it (following hysterectomies) and they've thrived with it.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:24 PM   #14
(female)

tazz72 HB User

Hi Guys,
It's been great hearing from you.Lots of great advice. I have been on Effexor for months now & it seems to have helped decrease my flare ups for a little while. Now that I am used to the medication the flare ups seem to be more often & a little worse each time. This was how things went on the last medication I was on. Will have to wait & see how things go in the next few months. The pain & discomfort is still everyday with a flare usually 2-3 + a month. Alot of numbness in hands, arms, neck & shoulders! UGH!! The chronic fatigue that accompanies this can be very severe, to the point I almost had a traffic accident just last week, very scary!Anyone else having this problem with fatigue??? Definetly hits me very quick & can last for 1-2 days usually once a week.I feel extremely tired, weary all over & unable to function mentally or physically!!Very frustruating especially working full time & being a parent....any advice?
Take care,
Tazz

Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 PM   #15
(female)

buddy100 HB User

Hi to all: All I can tell you that my Dr. took me off Effexor and put me on a low dose of Cymbala (30mg) and also gives me scripts. for Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid (another B vitamin). I take a total vitamin supplement and minerals and my fatigue is gone!!! I called it "Body, Mind and Soul" fatigue, but now all I have left is the PAIN!! Wish someone could come up with a cure for that. But the pain is easier to cope with when there is not fatigue. Pain everyday, but the spirit is great!!

Good Health to You All

Closed Thread