HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Gabapentin (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/391392-gabapentin.html)

jam338 05-13-2006 05:52 PM

Gabapentin

In 2003 a new study funded by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases measuring the effectiveness of [B]GABAPENTIN,[/B] an anticonvulsant medication, in reducing symptoms of fibromyalgia syndrome. It is a neurotin drug used primarily in epilepsy. However, it is also prescribed for secondary conditions such as menopause hotflashes.

Has anyone here tried it or know someone who has; results? Negatives? Dependency risks? Thanks for ANY info on it.

Glojer 05-14-2006 02:40 PM

Re: Gabapentin

Jam so sorry have never tried it, but it seems a long while back we had some threads on it so I am sure someone will have some input for you.

linkin01 05-15-2006 02:26 AM

[QUOTE=jam338]In 2003 a new study funded by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases measuring the effectiveness of [B]GABAPENTIN,[/B] an anticonvulsant medication, in reducing symptoms of fibromyalgia syndrome. It is a neurotin drug used primarily in epilepsy. However, it is also prescribed for secondary conditions such as menopause hotflashes.

Has anyone here tried it or know someone who has; results? Negatives? Dependency risks? Thanks for ANY info on it.[/QUOTE]

I use it and it is wonderful. It gives enormous pain reduction and I can actually sleep for the first time in years. It also cured my restless legs syndrome.

I had a bit of sleepiness when I first took it, but that completely wore off. I got sleepiness at first on the lowest does (300 mg), but I was able to steadily increase the dosage and got less and less sleepiness. Weird. Now I'm on 4800 mg! That's right, 4800. For me the restless legs cure and sleep didn't really improve until I got way up there past 4000.

I have ZERO side effects. My pyschiatrist says it is a very clean mediation and doesn't interact with other medications. It's very safe.

The only problem is that I have to take it 4x/day because it has a very short half life. I set an alarm to wake up in the middle of the night to take it, so I will feel okay in the morning. So that's annoying.

I don't know if there is a dependency risk. I know that I start to hurt pretty bad if I don't get to take it on schedule.

Mike

jpk 06-02-2006 05:28 AM

Hi,i hope you have tried the gabapentin and have found it helpful.My 12 year old is about to trial it,we are just waiting for the government funding as it costs $140 per month here,jess had it for a week in hospital a month ago and it was starting to help.Once jess has been on it for a while i will let you know how she is going.

Jenetti 06-02-2006 06:08 AM

i think its the same as Neurontin, which is just another brand name of the same med. ive been on it and it didnt work as well for me. i am on lyrica now, which is i believe almost the same, (antiseizure drug) and that works so much better on the pain for me. i dont take it everyday tho because lyrica does a number on me, takes the pain away, but for some reason just knocks me off my feet and makes me very drowsy, sometimes i can sleep for two hours after taking it, but works wondefully for the pain. i am not sure on the drug dependancy thing for it, but i dont feel for me that i am as i take it only as a last resort for the pain (take lortab and soma for everyday fibro pain). i guess it just depends on which antiseizure med works best for us, but i do believe they work on the fibro pain.

Suni321 06-02-2006 07:28 AM

Hi - Gabapentin is the cheaper generic of Neurontin. Thank goodness! As in & of it's self it is not a cheap drug. But, it does seem to work miracles on some. In my understanding it did start out as a way to treat bi-polar disorders but, is seldom ever perscribed for that nowdays. Nowdays it's given more often to treat nerve pain.

For me it's made a huge difference in my life - especially with my nerve pain which can be pretty severe. Suddenly I had a little more energy, went to sleep easier (doesn't help me to stay asleep though!) and it helped to take the edge off the pain. However; I truly notice when I'm late taking a dose so it's important to really keep to a tight schedule.

As a note I noticed that in the beginning I did tend to feel the need to eat more after taking it. My doctor however said it couldn't of been the Neurontin. But, if you research this drug look at the possible side effects - it says weight gain can occur.

My mother-in-law tried it a few years back and found it made her feel "dumb" like she was walking in a fog so she discontinued it.

Sometimes it takes time to find the right dose obviously for you. But, again different drugs work differently on different people. Keep working with your doctor to find the right dose/drug for you.

Good Luck! :wave:

rosebuddy 06-05-2006 11:33 AM

I used it for burning/scraped skin sensation. 600mg 5 x a day did the trick.