It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2006, 01:34 AM   #1
(male)

linkin01 HB User
B12 injections vs. sublingual

Anyone tried B12 for fatigue? I think the usual recommendation is large B12 injections, 3000-5000 mcg every few days.

Recently I tried a B12 sublingual 1000 mcg. I made the mistake of taking it in the evening and I had severe insomnia. Didn't sleep a wink for the next 24 hours, not even naps. (I felt very tired, too,... it's not like speed or something where it wired me up completely. I just couldn't sleep.)

I tried it again this morning, 500 mcg sublingual. I had a lot of energy and felt slightly wired. For the most part it really improved my fatigue level, though for some strange reason I went through an hour-long period in evening where I could barely stand up I was so tired. Suddenly that passed and I had energy again. Weird.

Several sources say that the body doesn't absorb b12 well from pills, even subligual, compared to the shots. If that's true, then would the shots be like 10 times more effect? That would be dreadful for me.. sure, the increased energy is nice, but the wired feeling is not (it makes my anxiety worse) and I even felt like I was close to hallucinating when I took the 1000 mcg and couldn't sleep.

Or maybe the wired/insomnia is a side-effect of the subligual due to the mechanism, and the shots wouldn't have that???

People with experience, please let me know.

Mike

Old 05-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: B12 injections vs. sublingual

Another example of YMMV! (your mileage may vary) B12 is commonly rec. by holistic docs for insomnia treatment.

I've used B12 for yrs. to HELP my sleep. I take 1000 mcg (1 mg.) sublingual of METHYL B12 each night & it improves my sleep architecture.

B12 needs other cofactors to do its job. Do you take a multivite w/good amts of other B vitamins? Folic acid & B5 (pantothenic acid) are big B12 helpers.

Mike, It does sound like you are absorbing from the sublingual. Maybe you are one of those people who does better taking it in the a.m. I've known lots of people who've benefitted from sublingual B12, esp. the methyl form. The cyanocobalamin form is a little less dependable.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
(female)

NataliesMom HB User

Yep, I've tried B-12 and it did absolutely nothing for my fatigue. I have MS as well as Fibro so my doctor just patted my knee and said well kiddo, I think what you have is good old fashioned MS-Fibro fatigue that's fighting like the devil with you and me both.

I've tried stimulents and Provigil, nothing has helped with my fatigue. I wake up tired everyday and by the afternoon, I feel like I've worked out with Tony Little and ran a Marathon. I'm wiped out.

I really hope you can find some relief. Keep us posted.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
(male)

linkin01 HB User

Thanks for the info Natalie's Mom. I'm so sorry that you have to feel so tired; I know exactly what that's like. I do so little in a day compared to normal people.

However, the B12 seems to helping now. I switched to 500 mcg sublingual in the mornings for the past 4 days. My energy level is WAY up. I'm excited, this may be a very important long-term cure. There are plenty of other supplements for energy to try, and maybe I'll get even more effect in combination.

Some of my other meds are known for their effects of depleting vitamins, so I may be dealing with a deficiency due to those meds.

Take care, hoping that you feel better,
Mike

Old 09-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
(male)

kiran26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin01 View Post
Thanks for the info Natalie's Mom. I'm so sorry that you have to feel so tired; I know exactly what that's like. I do so little in a day compared to normal people.

However, the B12 seems to helping now. I switched to 500 mcg sublingual in the mornings for the past 4 days. My energy level is WAY up. I'm excited, this may be a very important long-term cure. There are plenty of other supplements for energy to try, and maybe I'll get even more effect in combination.

Some of my other meds are known for their effects of depleting vitamins, so I may be dealing with a deficiency due to those meds.

Take care, hoping that you feel better,
Mike
Thanks mike.this thread helps mea lot . I started taking B12 supplements for 3 months as prescribed by doctor.it is nervigen . is this capsule has any side effects .

Closed Thread