It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
(female)

Emmabean HB User
Sun and tanning beds

It really seems as though the heat and the light from the sun are therapeutic for me. The only time in the last couple of years that I remember being almost completely pain-free was on a vacation in Miami by the ocean. OH! It was awesome...so relaxing and no pain. It felt as though the sun just penetrated my muscles.

I live in an area that is dreary most of the winter, and recently it has been very rainy, cold, and cloudy for days. I would pack up and move in a second, but extended family is too important to me, so I can not.

A couple of mornings ago I saw the Today show (or a similar morning show) and the topic was Tanning Beds. They said that tanning beds cause a person to release endorphins, therefore, for some people the feeling of going to tan becomes addictive. The program tried to deter people from going to tan. However, I was thinking about the fact that I need more endorphins to help my pain, and I am now considering giving it a try. I realize there are risks. Maybe I will have a dermatologist check me out first.

Has anyone else considered this? Anyone find the sun or UV rays to be helpful?

Old 05-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User
Re: Sun and tanning beds

Hi Emmabean....Annie here....
Funny you should be asking about tanning beds as I went to one yesterday....but for a bit too long. Ouch! I have only been 3 times and the first two were so relaxing. I had only gone for 10 minutes each time and yesterday was pure "no thinking" involved by over doing it. A bit pink on the back and back legs....but I deserve it. The times I went were on rainy days and I cannot tell you what the simple 10 minutes did to relax me. It was actually my pain management doctor who suggested it, but did say, "Do not over do it." There are risk of course involved and knowing to take all precautions, eye goggles, skin protection, short time periods and even covering my hair with a cap....etc. Would really like to hear what others say as this is a first for me. Today was the first day I did not take pain medicine until 4 pm, but that could be just having a good day. You wonder what is worse, putting meds in your body or using things on the outside of your body negative. Fibro..it's all so confusing what to do.....

Hope you are having a pain free day.... Annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread