It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User
Daughter angry because I have fibromyalgia...

I live with this on daily basis, nothing different then what you are experiencing....just maybe a bit of different situation. 4 years ago when coming down with this the pain was so intense she heard me contantly complain of the excruating pain. It was so unbearable she could barely hug me with me gringing. It's probably the worse thing she will always remember about me. She has watched the house go from normal to a mess. She has watched me go from 130 to 170. On the go to always exahausted and little energy. Stress/depression/ medication/a bit better/pain/ down again/ up a bit and so forth. You know the drill ladies. If I could change everything that has happened coming down with this....I would do anything to make her life normal again, but unfortunately I cannot. She has become so bitter with me I feel as though she doesn't love me anymore and we have always been extremely close, I love her with all my heart and this is tearing me apart. She is 19 and I long for the energy to get the house back into order so she is happy to have friends in, I just don't know where to start. I have tried to get her to the doctor and she refuses, she is 19 and contstantly says I am the one who needs the doctor. Well folks, I've seem em all, but where have I gone wrong with her and I do I convince her to get help. It's not just the fibro, my brother died a few years ago she was very close to and them a year later my dad came down with cancer and died. I went through a divorce with a not very nice man. Not her dad thank goodness. I know people have said just kick her out, she's 19 and should be helping you....I went wrong there where things were going down for me I stopped making her help and she got lazy. Please, please....anyone with some good solid advice. If seeing a doctor is what you recommend, how do you get a 19 year old there if they refuse to go. I appreciate more then you could ever know your kind words of advice.
Hugs, Annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Daughter angry because I have fibromyalgia...

dear annie,
you won't be able to get her to do anything. she is 19. we all go thru the age of hating our moms. no matter how perfect a mom we have we decide she is dumb and knows nothing.
when we get sick we give alot of our personal power over to others. not a good thing, but we do it. sounds like it may be time to reclaim your power. you have to set boundaries and keep them. you know how much fibro changes your life on the outside, and on the inside there is a breakdown in communication between mind and attitude.
your daughter does not hate you. she is going thru a normal faze. if she was out of the house you would experience it differently. rare phone calls, rare visits, shutting you out from their lives. stuff like that. with her at home it is different. you are both right there in the face of it.
her anger about your fibromyalgia is fear. with so many of her trusted adults dying there is a fear, deep and not recognized, that you too will leave. under all anger is fear.
if she wants a clean house for her friends to visit, she can clean it herself. period. you ought to be loving an empty nest. if she chooses to be home, treat her like a roommate. give her a list of her responsibilities and how much rent to pay. then stick by your guns. tell her she has to buy her own food and mark it. prepare her for life outside of your home. you know the total freedom from responsibility she has now is not the reality of the big bad world out there.
hope this helps a bit. how well i remember when my daughter jackie ripped the umbilical cord out of me. she was 17. she is 26 now and we are as close as we were when she was 10. it all comes full circle. have patience, cut her some room, and treat her like the adult she now is. i always told my kids if you want me to treat you like an adult you must act like one. act like a baby, and, well, you will be treated like one.
many mommy hugs,
blue

Old 05-17-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

There seems to have been changes in her life that she wasnt able to control, your brother dying, then your dad, then the divorce. Tho i dont know how she feels about the divorce. She is probably afraid of losing the last one connection to her, her mother. Whether by death or the death of the way our life used to be, she is afraid of that change.
At 19 yrs of age, she should be helping you with the housework if she wants her friends to come visit her at a clean house. Perhaps shes afraid of losing her mother, her closest helper, as she sees you changing daily, monthly getting worse.
If she wont go to the doctor with you on her own, perhaps you can ask her if she'd drive you there and go in with you because you want to be able to remember everything that is being said. sneaky? yep, but it might work.
also getting her material to read up on the subject might help, and letting her know that fibro wont kill you, just feels like it will at times.
Allow her to help with housework as long as she is under your roof, she should be helping, 19 isnt a young child and she should be picking up some of the slack daily since i know those of us who have fibro cant clean a house up in one day.
Im positive she still loves you, tho might have a hard time showing it right now, perhaps she thinks if i dont get too close to her it wont hurt so much if she passes away with this thing. Remind her that its not fatal. Tell her you need her support, and help these days. Ask her if she'd do you a favor and read up on our lives here at healthboards so she can see what youre going thru is what others with fibro are going thru as well.
I would suggest you dont let her disrespect you in any way, shape or form. At that age she is a young adult, whether she wants to accept that fact or not. Ask her why she is angry with you and if she thinks you asked for this dd. Again, provide materials for her to read up on fibro, its symptoms. You might also ask a dear friend or relative to talk to her about what she is feeling if she doesnt want to open up to you.
If all that fails to see how much you are suffering and that its not your fault, it might be best for her to move out on her own, you dont need the extra stress. She can get a job and provide for herself and see if its that easy. She has it made at home, and i get the feeling you do things for her out of love, cleaning up after her and much more, but sometimes we just have to let them grow up, its about time she did.

Old 05-19-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I will just give you a little story of me and my daughter and maybe you can decide if it applies to your relationship. My daughter is now 30yrs. old divorced, college educated with a career and finally is on her own. I say finally on her own not because she didn't want to be and didn't try but because I couldn't let go. Let me say that again.....I....couldn't let go. I have always been the one holding on to tight, for some reason and I don't know that reason, I have always wanted to make things perfect for my daughter. Yes I wanted them perfect for my son also but he took care of things on his own and wouldn't let me do that for him so I was always pulling my daughters feet out of the fire because she is such a procrastinator and I was just too eager to take care of things. Finally after her divorce and moving back home for almost 3yrs. until she could get all the emotional and financial problems straightened up. I was able to let go. I think it was because I finally saw her as a young women that was able to take care of herself and if her feet got a little cinged in the fire that was her problem and she was certainly capable of taking care of things and if she needed help she was not afraid to ask. I finally saw her as the wonderful person her dad and I raised and not my little girl, my first baby that I wanted to make life so perfect for.

She has her own apartment now and a new boyfriend of two months (a record for her since her divorce) and we talk like adults with each other and I have gained a new respect for the woman I see yet I still have my daughter.

I know your situation is a little different, but I thought maybe the holding on too tight scenario might give you something to think about. Believe me when my daughter was 19 attitude and sulleness and all that goes with the age was difinitly there and I was still holding on too tight and no one could tell me any different. I tried as hard as I could to keep the bumps out of the road and I was wrong. Your daughter has already experienced some of those bumps with the lose of your brother and father. She has to find her way and that may be hard on the both of you. There is a time for talking, a time for letting her take responsibility and a time for letting go. If she wants a clean house, she can clean if she doesn't understand fibro she can ask but she probable does want to be reassured that you are not going to die and leave her and although you don't feel the same as you once did you are still the mother she has always loved and you will always love her unconditionally.

Hope I have helped some.

Glojer

Old 05-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

I cannot begin to thank each of you for your compassion and advice. My heart is skipping a beat sitting here thinking, wow, I'm not so looney....ha, but true. I can't begin to tell you how good it feels to see what each of you have wrote and understood. What I read, is what my 28 year old son has said to me so many times, and now at the point....mom, whatever you say let, it stick. Don't say one thing and not follow through. (How many times as a parent you give that very advice.) If you say leave, don't feel guilty. You have been a great mom to all three of us, single mom for 11 years and look at my sister I. We both went through college and have very good jobs. You came down with this by chance, not by choice.

So for the life of me I can't understand why I can't just let go?? I do see depression in her and I have many, many times tried to talk to her about getting help.....she lashes out at me and I walk away blaming myself. I guess if life were so easy....I could wave a magic wand at her...she would go and get the help and I wouldn't feel so guilty about saying it's time to go. My son is getting married in June...so it's another reason I keep telling myself not do anything to disrupt right now....but I guess it will always be something.

If I read this about someone else it would be so easy to advise, but boy is it hard when the shoes are on the other feet. When someone is rebelling and you lack the energy...it's so difficult.

You are all so wonderful. You have helped me through losing a job and simply being there everyday. I don't know what I would do without my family here. I wish I could get beyond, it's time to go and be on your own or if you are not happy here.....I get that far and cannot find the strenght to get beyond that. I guess the fear of unknowing....but this too isn't good for either of us.

Hugs to all of you! Annie

Old 05-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
(female)

bilij HB User

Hi Annie, I'm the mother of 4 children and grandmother of 6. The
four of them are so different. Any advice or encourgament I could
give would not be a good as our friends have already given you, but
I wanted to tell you what a sweet lady told me one time.......''We are
never happier than our saddest child.'' I've been a mother for almost
55 years and I have found this to be so true. We hurt along with our
child, even when they bring it on themselves. It seems that having
fibromyalgia makes it even worse for me. May God bless you Annie.
Bilij

Old 05-21-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Thank you so much. Just hearing other stories, does help me put my into perspective and maybe even give me the strenght to let go and still love.
Hugs, Annie

Old 05-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Wishn letting go is not easy. Some children want us to let go just so far and then be sure and pull on the rope when they need something. The hard part is letting go of the rope! My daughter fought hard after her divorce for me to let go and finally I did. I had plenty of advice from wise old aunties and good friends that told me I was holding on to the rope and if I let go she wouldn't fall, and if she needed it she could climb up that rope on her own. They were right. Your daughter will not get help for herself until SHE decides she needs it. Without her willingness, it wouldn't help anyway. You have done a great job raising your children take hold of that and keep putting your youngest in Gods hands and watch her blossom. You know she still loves you.

Glojer

Old 05-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Glojer,
Thank you so much for thinking of me with your response. At times it feels like I am climbing the rope, but just when I'm half way up....I slide back down. Talking helps...and so often with this fibro I feel more alone then ever before. Funny thing...I am always helping people at work, giving advice and simply listening. It's funny how I can't seem to listen to myself and take the advice. My son's wedding is less then a month away and after, I will need to set my priorities straight here. Thank you everyone and believe me....each time someone writes, I am writing down your advice and experiences and reading over and over. It is bound to be part of my wall when I can take a deep breath and be happy for me and her again. I care so much about all of you. I only wish more people who experience fibromyalgia were lucky enough to know this site and get to know the kind, supportive people here with hearts bigger then anything I have ever experienced before. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 12:41 AM   #10
(female)

o_janus_o HB User

When I was 14 my mother was diagnossed with FM and Lupus. My grandmother died, my father left my mother less than a week before my 15th birthday and moved to Oregon. My mom and I needed eachother very much then and were supportive of eachother in many ways.

On the other hand things were so very different. I had to do everything that I needed for myself. I got a job and anything I needed with few exceptions I had to pay for myself. The support structure that I had had completely disolved. My mom clung to me because I was all she had and I felt like I didn't have a mother anymore. She couldn't care for me like she used to. I was having trouble in my life and she couldn't be there for me because she was so overwhelmed with her own problems. The medication she was on warped her mind a little too.

The house was a mess, but I didn't care enough to clean it myself so I wasn't going to expect her to do it. Most of my friends loved me enough to not care that the place was filthy. I also spent any time I could away.

Long story short. I moved out when I was 17. I think my 17 was like your daughters 19. Painful. Lots of fighting. An adult brain without the experience to back it up. I just turned 24. My mom and I are so close. She says I'm her best friend. I wouldn't quite mimic the statement, but she is an invaluable part of my life and other than my partner, my closest confidante. I still fear that I could lose her to Lupus or any other of her terrible illnesses that she has going on, but I treasure every phone call with her and since I live many states away I miss her like I would miss water in a desert.

Things will work out with your daughter. Encourage her to move out. I almost guarentee that as soon as you two aren't living together anymore things will get better. You can go shopping and out to eat and all those wonderful mother daughter things without having to go home together at the end of the day. When you live with another adult it can be hard to get along.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2006, 07:05 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

o janus o, you delight me. your words are more healing than any uttered here. bless you little sister, for your honesty. one day when you are my age, and i am old compared to you, giggle, you will find your mom to be the only person who truly and deeply knows you. it is a gift, rare and precious.
wishn, i love you too. this is a special haven. may the wedding go well. you will shine, mother of the groom.
love,
blue

Old 05-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

O Janus O....you took my breath away....I felt like I was reading a post from my daughter. I am still sitting here almost numb. I appreciate so much your honesty and being frank....I need that. A bit teary eyed....because I feel so badly at the thought of not being able to give my daughter a more "normal" life, a better and cleaner home...the mom I use to be, but I am still me. I love her dearly and there is nothing I wouldn't do for her. As I can certainly relate to your post, fortunately the medication I am taking (hopefully) does not make me appear "warped" to my daughter. Hmmmm....let me back up...some of the things she says would probably make warped seem fun, loving and great person to be around...ha! I do hear what you are saying and take your post very serious though....and...very much appreciate your insight.

B.L.L. Thank you for always being there, always caring, understanding and loving to all of us. You are a gem!

Today for me has been a painful one. I am taking Cymbalta and did not realize how much it has helped with the pain, until you are no longer taking it. My prescription ran low and I neglected to contact the doctor until I had 2 pills remaining...well day 2 and the doctor has "neglected" to call in the prescription. Hopefully tomorrow morning it will be ready. This type of medication is no fun when you miss a few days...uhhhh....

The wedding: I finally found my dress! I had decided on a floor lenght sand/gold color. Very elegant, dropped off the shoulders a bit, some beading on the top area and a few layers on the skirting. This is what I had been set on for several weeks, but was not completely firm on it. (Oh what the heck....trying to lose a bit of weight.....ha! Did drop a size, but when you are a 14....a 12 wasn't my dream weight. Would like to have gotten back down to pre-fibro weight 4 years ago, 7. Yeah, yeah, yeah and I would love to have no lines on my face....a completely flat stomach....blah, blah, blah...thank heavens for control top panty hose.) Anyway...back to the dress....a sales women came up to me and said, I've seen you in here a few times...but always notice you pretty much search around on your own and do not accept assistance. (I'm too picky) She said, l would love to show you a dress I think would look very nice on you and with your blonde hair...it would be great. She took me over to a mint, very pale green dress. I looked and said....I am definately not a pastel person...but I will certainly try it on. Long story short...I fell in love with it! One piece, but the appearance of a top and skirt. Sheer layering skirt that has a "flow" about it...the top has beading that blends with the color, sleeveless with a sheer wrap....just lovely. I am still stunned I love the dress so much....not something I would have pulled off the shelf on my own. Ok, ok....I will stop boring everyone with the dress details....a little excited...

Hugs to all of you ( : Annie

Old 05-26-2006, 06:39 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

oh annie,
i can see you in your lovely cool minty dress. like a gossmer cloud you will dance thru your sons most special day. hey, a size 12, when you have fibro, is a brag, sister. we all gain so much weight we get lost in our own bodies. i went up to a size 18 and now i am a 10. who knows what i will be next year, ya know?
besides when you become a granny someday you will need to be all soft and squishy for the grandkids to snuggle into.
sometimes we also have to give our children a head start by drop kicking them to their freedom. each of my kids has come back to thank me for being so aware of what they needed then. freedom, to figure it out by themselves.
oh girlfriend i can see you in the sunrise. you are beautiful!
love,
blue

Old 05-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Blue....I love you!

I have experienced a migrance all day...until arriving home and taking medication...finally kicked it. It was awful.... Of course trying to get home and take the right med with traffic up the ying yang..."Memorial Day" traffic made the trip almost triple the time. Glad I am at home feeling normal again.

Have a wonderful evening....you are such a sweetheart!
Annie

Old 05-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wishn I love the dress and it sounds like it will be gorgeous on you. I have been the mother of the bride (our son went to Jamaica to get married didn't need anything for that) and it is such a wonderful thing to get all 'gussied' up and feel so beautiful. I knew the minute I saw the dress I wore it was perfect for me. Of course I insisted on looking some more but my daughter and I went back and bought the first one.

Please let us know how the wedding goes and fill us in on all the fun and wonderful things. Your dress sounds beautiful, enjoy all the wonderful things about the wedding and as you said deal with the problems with your daughter when the wedding is over.

Hope your headache went away I know how bad they can be. Oh, and I believe my dress (it was actually a two piece ankle length) was a size 14 and I am back up there again in a size 18. This crazy rollercoaster I think I have a handle on the thyroid now if I can get a handle on the stess and eating I might get down there again.

Have a great time.

Glojer

Closed Thread