It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 05:40 AM   #1
(female)

PollyGirl HB User
Muscle Cramping Again

Someone please tell me why my muscles are cramping again
This happened awhile back and what really prompted me to seek medical attention. I am not talking mild cramps in just my legs but my entire body....ie, neck, sides, back, shoulders, arms, thighs, calves, toes.....etc. I hurt all over and have been stretching my whole body while I am sleeping.

I had horrible cramping during a major flare up and then it started to go away but now it is back full force. I don't recall doing anything to over exert myself other than on Mother's Day, hubby and I drove around to visit family and did sit most of the day.

I am also so dizzy now I can barely rise from bed when it is time to get up. I feel very unstable

Old 05-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Muscle Cramping Again

Hi Polly,

If simple things don't help -- like making sure you are getting enough calcium, potassium -- you should make an appt w/your doc to rule out other factors. Sometimes people have more than one disease process going on.

Sometimes adrenal-function related dizziness will improve w/the addition of a small amt of salt (1/8 tsp) to a cup of fruit juice. Simple to try, anyway.

Magnesium deficiency can be helpful for certain types of muscle cramps, however you need to be careful if prone to low blood pressure & dizziness, as mag can exacerbate that.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Muscle Cramping Again

There are calcium/magnesium combination supplements that you can try, they have helped me immensely. I was having increased muscle tension and cramps to my legs and feet. I haven't had anymore problems since taking the supplements.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
(female)

PollyGirl HB User

I do take a multi-vitamin & mineral with calcium and magnesium.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello there,

This is a horrid thing to go through. I have it a lot of the time, the pain can be horrendous can't it ?? The thing is ask you doctor for a quinine based medication, this is good for short term use for cramp.

The other thing I have just discovered for my legs is soemthing you have to prctise for a little while to get used to it. Face the wall, put your hands out about shoulder height if you can and then step back as far as is comfy for you not to be unsteady on your feet and so you feel secure. Lean into the wall and you will feel the gentle pull on your calf muscles, and they will be stretching slightly, honestly with repeated attempts it does relieve it a lot. You will have to work up to doing this for a few times, the "normal" recommended time is 5 minutes, but you feel the stretching in the muscles and the relief does come.

I can only suggest this for the leg muscles, but the overall muscle problems I can't advise on, except for the quinine based meds as I said earlier. Worth a try though I think ??

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 05-21-2006 at 10:24 AM.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
(female)

buddy100 HB User

Just have one more thing to add to all your great advise for muscle cramps. When taking magnesium I found out that your system also needs magineese to help with the absorbtion of the mag. I take up to 800 mg. of magnesium thru out the day...last dose at night since it helps relax the muscles and aids in a good nites sleep.

Closed Thread