It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
do you retain fluid?

do you retain fluid? I was just wondering how many of you are retaining fluid on a daily basis?

My feet, hands, ankles and elbows are swollen, but my doctor says its soft tissue swelling and i was wondering if they are swollen because i could be retaining fluid? I havent been able to wear my wedding rings in over a year, and nothing seems to fit anymore. Does anyone use a diuretic to flush the fluids out and what kind do you use? Is it an over the counter or is it prescribed? i feel like i weigh 10 lbs heavier and that most of it is due to retained fluid.

Last edited by Jenetti; 05-19-2006 at 06:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: do you retain fluid?

Hiya Jenetti,

Yes I have lots of fluid swishing about, mainly in my ankles and lower legs normally. My hands get puffy as you describe and I have problems wearing my rings.

I am at the moment though quite bad with all over body fluid retention, but this has been brought on by a lot of things. I have increased my diuretics for the past 3 weeks and hopefully this will help me some. I am due to have an echocardigram done though to make sure the fluid isn't causing problems with my heart, as I do have ongoing cardiac issues.

The thing is when a reference is made to soft tissue swelling, it usually means your skin, fat and muscle, together with any glands and vessels contained within them. Any of those tissues can become inflamed and swell. The doctor should, I am sure, be able to differentiate between fluid retention and soft tissue swelling.

Anyway though, if you feel that you might be retaining fluid anyway, it can't do any harm to ask the advice of your doctor and perhaps ask him for diuretics. You can only, as far as I know, get diuretics from your doctor. They are not generally an OTC medication.

I do hope this helps. Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 05-21-2006 at 11:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread