It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

Heather_Brennan HB User
dizziness and other things

I've been "dizzy" for almost 3 straight days now. I havent taken any different medication or anything but I feel almost like I am doped up. Sometimes I can even feel my eyes fluttering. I have fibromyalgia so everytime I go to the ER or my dr, it is just contributed to that. I don't disagree with my dr's diagnosis of fibromyalgia but it just feels like there is something else going on. Twice in the last year alone I have went to the hospital by ambulance for fainting and passing out. Both times I was diagnosed with vertigo. I looked into Vertigo and it is defined as everything else spinning around you. And its not like that. I feel really lightheaded and sometimes my ears will feel really hot. The last 3 days, my head has felt heavy, and when I stand up I can see shots of color before my eyes. Is this normal for fibromyalgia? Also the other thing that has really really been getting on my nerves are these stupid things I have been doing. For example, I was making a bottle for one of my kids today. I put the milk in the bottle, then I put the carton of milk in the microwave and put the bottle in the refridgrator. I didnt even realize I was doing it. Yesterday I put the mail in the refridgrator instead of the mail rack, which is near the refridrator. Last night I went to put a video in the player for the kids to watch, the video needed to be rewinded so I put it in the player, pushed rewind, then when it was done i turned the power off the player and totally forgot that i was rewinding the video for the kids. They reminded me, of course. I know things like this happen to people occasionally and then its funnyn afterwards. My grandmother even has a name for them, "brain farts" is what she calls them. But the problem is I am having occurances like this happen to me 5 or 6 times a day and its definately starting to increase. Is this another one of those rare syndromes of fibromyalgia? If not any suggestion on what I should do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: dizziness and other things

Some of us experience the "fibro fog," which may be a more polite name for those BFs.

The main hallmarks of fibro are fatigue & muscle/tendon/joint pain & weakness, often accompanied by tender points that really hurt when a little pressure is applied.

A fibro dx is very nonspecific, and IME, so often other glitches in the body, esp. hormonal ones, can contribute. People who suffer frequent dizziness may have a weakness or glitch in their adrenal function. Many people w/fibro have thyroid or other hormonal problems that add to the mix.

Do you have any idea about your blood pressure, whether it might run high or low?

Have you seen the book, From Fatigued to Fantastic, by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD? I found my first copy at the local public library. Lots of stuff to learn about this syndrome.

Best wishes.

Old 05-23-2006, 05:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

i have fm for 22 years and have gotten off my equilibruim at times to the extent of vertigo and yes everything was spinning and I felt nauseated, but have never passed out. the hot ears I have experienced also plus visual disturbances but not to the degree that you are stating. You may have another problem going on and I would change DRS. if you feel your present DR. is not checking you out thoroughly.

I hate to tell my DR. about anything of my pain or the things we get with FM because she immediately wants tests done.

She told me if I ever go to the ER not to tell them I have FM until I feel comnfortable that I was checked out thoroughly, she is always afraid something will be overlooked.

Don"t worry about the brain farts, they go with the territory. I hada mammo appointment last week, wrote down 1 oclock, at 10:30 the tech called wanting to know where I was, I told her my appoinment was at 1 she said no 10. she reschelduled me, so I forgot to add the zero. Yesterday I went into the shower with my hearing aid in. I do dumb things all the time.
BTW I am from Pa. also near the poconos.

Good luck, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Last edited by pa235; 05-23-2006 at 05:52 AM.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User

I was diagnosed with fibro over 2 years ago. I suffered ALL of the same symptoms as you. I, however, was treated for anxiety and panic attacks. I am currently taking Effexor and it has helped greatly. I still have some quick moments of dizziness or eyes fluttering but not nearly to the degree that it was. Is is possible that that could be what you're suffering from?

Brain farts, or fibro fog, is common with fibro. I've been driving down the street and forgotten how to work my windshield wipers. I too have placed things in the freezer, microwave or cupboard and then forgotten about them. I've made tea without the tea bag. Things like that. If you do a search on the internet for fibro fog follies, there are great websites with funny stories to make you laugh about it.

Hope this helps

Old 05-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
(female)

Heather_Brennan HB User

You cant imagine how much of a help this board has been. After I was diagnosed with fibro my doctor started me on zoloft, when that did worked she upped the dosage on it and also gave me wellbutrin. When the combination of these drugs didnt help she suggested I see psychiatrist and she started asking me questions like "Have you ever thought of hurting yourself or your children?". I told her no and she still recommended I see a psychiatrist and refused to give me any pain medication. My mother is a patient of hers and she has some mental problems and depression, but I don't. She was treating me like I was crazy. Then all these weird fibro fog things start happening to me and I started to think maybe I was crazy and that this was all in my head. After talking to people on this board, I know that I am not crazy. I am seeing a different doctor today for my fibromyalgia to see about getting a second opinion. I have been to physical therapy, a chiropractor, a pain clinic, a rhemetologist, behavioral therapy, a variety of medication, and even tried some of that hippy chanting stuff. The only thing that has helped in the least bit are pain medications. I used to be a big advocate against pain killers and pain medication for people who werent diagnosed with cancer, but now that I am one of those peopel in pain, I understand the need for it. I just can not live in this pain everyday, but really what choice do I have? I hope my new doctor has some different ideas that will be beneficial to me. I just want to stop doing those stupid things I have been doing. This morning I put the laundry in the sink and the dirty dishes in the microwave then went to lie down on the couch and it jsut all hit me that I did something totally stupid. And you're right sometimes you just have to have a laugh at yourself.

Closed Thread