It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
(male)

mattysoftball HB User
Need Help With What I have

okay a year ago i was told i had lyme and was treated and no difference. went to another doc he said no you don't have it. here is what i have going on.

sever pain
knees
right shoulder
hips both
back lower part . even numbness in the legs
skin tags
ganglio cyst on my left wrist
blurry vision
high blood pressure
get red bumps on side of my temple on my head
heartburn all the time
anxiety
severe nasal congestion all the time

so one doc told me i have
degenerative disc in my back
osteoarthritis in my knees
also in my right shoulder

DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR FOR FIBRO OR JUST OSTEO ?
thnks

Old 05-23-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Need Help With What I have

Hi Matty,

Fibro is MUCH more common in females, so the average doc may instantly disqualify you based on your gender. Not that your doc should do this, it's just the way medicine is practiced, more & more these days.

I have both osteo & fibro. Osteoarthritis is more in the joint itself. There is often swelling that you can see, esp. later in the day. There may be redness. Sometimes osteo is particularly severe in a joint that was injured, or in one that had a lot of use in the past, athletic or otherwise.

W/fibro, the muscles, tendons & ligaments are usually painful, sometimes also the joints. But IME, there is much more of a soft tissue component. Usually there are "tender points" on soft tissue, in all 4 quadrants of the body. Pain is more allover & symmetrical than in osteo. Everyday activities can cause severe, burning muscle pain that lasts for days or longer.

Fibro is notorious for "flaring" and being very severe at times, whereas osteo can follow a much more predictable daily course. When my fibro flares, I often need to use a walker for a couple of weeks.

The most definitive dx for osteo, AFAIK (as far as I know) is xray, where various degenerations of bone & cartilage can be seen as the osteo advances. Bone spurs & deteriorating cartilage are not typical of fibromyalgia.

AFAIK, blurry vision is not a typical osteo symptom. Nor have I experienced this w/fibro. Have you seen an ophthamologist?

I don't know much about spinal disc degeneration, sorry.

Best wishes.

Last edited by elmhar; 05-23-2006 at 08:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
(male)

mattysoftball HB User

thanks for the reply
i have not seen an eye doc yet, but on the list to do. it sounds to me that i have both like you osteo and fibro.
my feet at the days end KILL me big time. they feel swollen. i lay down around 5 and take a nap then i am good to go till night. but i am up until 3 every morning whether i nap or not. anyway thanks
what meds are normally taken for both ?

Old 05-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Matty,

I do not tolerate meds well & use a host of alternative med measures to make life bearable. Works for me.

One Rx med I do use, mostly for joint pain & inflammation, is a topical NSAID cream that is applied directly to the sore joint. This is not over the counter like absorbine, mentholatum, emu creams, etc. It was ordered by my doc & put together at a compounding pharmacy. I do not tolerate oral NSAIDs (like Motrin, Advil, Aleve) well, but the topical is OK for my gut. Very effective for the pain & swelling, I might add, though I do use it very sparingly. All NSAIDs in the long term contribute to joint deterioration, though they improve pain & function in the short term. So it's a trade off.

I would not be likely to try the newer osteoarthritis drugs like Celebrex/vioxx due to the side effect profile.

I'm not the best person to ask about Rx meds for fibro. I think some people here use painkillers, even have narcotics prescribed. Others have "neuro meds" like Lyrica & Neurontin. Hopefully some of those folks can reply to your question about prescription meds.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread