It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Is not getting numb from dental anesthestic related to fibromyalgia?

I'm wondering how fellow fibro sufferers respond to injections of dental anesthestic. Do you get numb pretty easy? Anybody have trouble getting numbed up or staying numb through drill & fill? How about getting crowns & root canals? A-OK?

I've had dental work done OK most of my life, but the last while haven't been able to get numb. It's a real pain & I'm wondering if this might be something related to the fibro. I've had dentists tell me it's a) rare or b) in my head (of course!).

Love to hear from you all, whether your experience was normal, or otherwise.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-23-2006 at 06:42 PM. Reason: because the post was phrased as a survey - no polls or surveys as per the posting rules

The following user gives a hug of support to elmhar:
TexasGranny (04-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 06:53 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Is not getting numb from dental anesthestic related to fibromyalgia?

hi elmhar,
i also developed difficulty getting numb. i have had 15 root canals, 10 fillings at least, and finally had my upper teeth removed.
with the meds i am on my body responded with dry mouth which in a very short time rotted my teeth out. add some gum disease to the mix and gee what fun!
my dentist uses two types of med to numb me now and that works. it is extra time for him and he is cool with that. we have good communication going and he is gentle.
talk with your dentist. my personal take is that we are more sensitive to pain stimulus with fibromyalgia so we have a harder time being "pain free".
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
(female)

NataliesMom HB User

Good observation. I've never thought of that. It took 3 shots to numb me up for a couple of fillings. The last time I had dental work was about 2 years ago and it was awful, I hate those mean old nasty big needles. I like what they do with my kids, gas 'em. I've decided anymore dental problems and I'm having them all yanked at once under a general.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
(female)

Suni321 HB User

Hi Elmhar, I've always had trouble getting numbed for dental appointments. I'd always just sort of "take it" vs. having more shots. Whether it was root canals, wisdom teeth, drilling etc.,. I've got a great dentist though though that works with me to ensure I'm numb before anything is started. I'd never really thought about it being a "Fibro" related thing since I can't remember not having this issue. But, I agree with BlueLakeLady who feels that Fibro patients tend to more sensitive to pain (since we experience so much pain in general) so it does make sense.

In general though I've heard that Fibro patients tend to have more teeth/gum issues than the general population & require more individualized care. There's a book by Flora Stay, DDS called the Fibromyalgia Dental Handbook that's really helpful.

But, definitely talk with your dentist & if they aren't helpful - find one who is.

Hope that helps!
Suni

Old 05-31-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
(female)

Chef Elizabeth HB User

I have the same problem, and it has been a problem for over 30 years, no dentist has ever been able to numb my mouth for any dental work. I also did not respond to a saddle block (very old description for numbing from the waist down for a c-section). But until now I never asssociated it to FM. Wow, this means that I have been suffering a lot longer than the 8 years since I was diagnosed with it. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm......

Old 05-31-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I really appreciate hearing all of your experiences. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

I just saw this post and had to reply. I recently had a root canal done, and it was a horrific experience. Add a nasty unsympathentic dentist who made me feel like a crying baby to the mix made it doubly worse. I had several painful injections and could not get competely numb.

I've had lots of dental work in the past including crowns and root canals with no problems, but this one was awful. He could not complete it and sent me to an Endo, who finally finished it up.

It even took double doses of Mepergan to dull the pain afterward for hours, enough to put a horse out.

There could be something to this.

Closed Thread