It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

ddboles HB User
Neurontin used for Fibro?

Hi, my neurologist gave me a prescription for Neurontin, not having diagnosed me with anything. I'm not sure what good it's going to do me. I was wondering if anyone had been given this to treat Fibro?

Old 05-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
(female)

yourkie HB User
Re: Neurontin used for Fibro?

I was given Neurontin and tried all different sized doses. It makes me crazy and hungry, but I sleep. I've lost so many things that I had to stop taking it and I got very dizzy. It is supposed to stop pain sensors from sending messages to the brain. That's my experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I used 600 mg every 5 hours for burning skin. I don't have to take it anymore.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

Nasty drug. I was in a daze when I took it. Forgot things, had a hard time driving etc. It helped my Fibro a little but not to the extent it was worth taking.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
(female)

Suni321 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Neurontin used for Fibro?

I hadn't heard about it really being given for Fibro. But, I know Neurologists have been perscribing it for people with peripheral neuropathy. Usually those dealing with high nerve pain levels. My mother took it for awhile but, it put her in a "fog" and she couldn't think. So she went off it.

But, we know another person who's on it and loves it as she can be "normal" for part of every day. She has Fibro & peripheral neuropathy & Lupus. (Dose was 1200mg per day). She's used to being in a lot of pain - all the time. With the Neurontin it seems to take the pain edge away, add energy & bring down the level of "shakiness". However; she's gained weight while on it - but, it's unclear if it's the Neurontin or the Prednisone that she's on. Another effect is her sleeping patterns have improved & she has less early morning wake-ups. (Using generic Neurontin).

So the bottom line is - it's different for everyone. Do work with your doctor to see if this is a product that will help you manage your symptoms. Hope that helps - keep us posted.

Suni

PS: Do ask your doctor what he thinks you have. You can also check with the nurse to see what "diagnosis" he "billed" the office visit at.

Last edited by Suni321; 05-26-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Like some one said it is a nasty drug...I took it for a while and at the same time another doctor threw in percocet. WEll I BLACKED OUT...two seperated occassions...and put them both down the drain....Just wasn't fun waking up and finding my dinner on the floor and my clothes in the kitchen.
I knew someone else that took it for pain..did him no good and he got HIGHLY depressed off of it...But like all drugs all our stystems are different..it just might do you good...

Good Luck!!!

Old 05-27-2006, 07:35 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

i have been on 1200mg at bedtime for 5 years. it was given to me for restless leg syndrome. to my knowledge it is not used to treat fibromyalgia. i have not had any problems with it. my doc says it is the safest of what is available out there for r.l.s.
each of us is different. unfortunatly the only way to know if it helps you is to try it.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 05-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
(female)

Ducky2020 HB User

I was recently diagnosed with fibro and was prescribed a low dosage of Neurontin (300 mg/day). I was very hesitant about taking it, but it did help in my case. I am new to this, but haven't experienced any bad side effects so far.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
(female)

hopelm HB User

hello. just today my sister-in-law confided in me she has fibro. she knows i'm going through a lot of testing and fibro is one . ohhhh the pain. well she told me she starting taking this drug recently and it has changed her life. she was diagnosed 10 years ago and she says she feels actually the best shes felt in these 10 years. i called the pharmicist and asked about it and found out there is a new sister drug to neurontin called LYRICA. my first endo gave it to me and i didnt take it because i started klonopin for shaking/buzzing/tingling. and dr. feels i have autonomic seizures so i didnt take it because i was taking the klonopin(which is also a seizure med and has really helped with the tingling throughout my body), and i didnt want to take another drug. wrong, i was!!! lyrica is more subtle, but has the same effect as neurontin. this drug is known for helping in easing nerve damage. my sister-in-law says her feet and hands dont burn anymore, which is what i have big time. just putting my two cents in, take care, lmhope

Old 05-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
(female)

babyboosmom HB User
Cool Re: Neurontin used for Fibro?

I tried neurontin it worked good for awhile. i took it at night and it helped me to sleep but like most meds i have taken....works for awhile when a med quits working my dr changes meds,but if i go back the med will work again.

Closed Thread