It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
Veteran

jeepbabe HB User
Yoga????

Has anyone tried yoga as a form of exercise for fibromyalgia? Did it work to help ease the pain? How much did you do it? I am just trying to find something that I can get exercise with, without hurting myself.

Thanks,
Sunnie

Old 05-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
(female)

lu55 HB User
Re: Yoga????

Yes, I have fibro and do yoga. But, I don't use it for pain relief. I do yoga for flexibility. I am so sore and stiff. On most days, I have to do yoga and/or a hot bath just so I can walk.

I use acupuncture for pain. I was skeptical, but it works.

Lu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 03:48 AM   #3
(female)

Suni321 HB User
Talking Re: Yoga????

Hi Sunnie, I'm still quite stiff & still have my normal pain levels. But, I do stretching/yoga (really easy/modified stuff at home) despite those symptoms. It really helps to keep my muscles stretched out & to stay focused mentally. I still have points where I can barely stand upright or walk up the stairs. But, I found that my overall flexibility has improved & the days I don't do it - my movements are stiffer & muscles overall sorer.

But, do take it easy if you decide to start. Many people make the mistake of jumping right in (back to their pre-Fibro days) & then causing a flare-up by over doing.

Good luck & let us know how you do!
Suni

Last edited by Suni321; 05-25-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I found that the poses were too painful or impossible to do. I use a balance ball which includes some yoga and pilates. It is a beginner's tape i got from Giaim.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Veteran

jeepbabe HB User

Thank you all for replying! I really appreciate all the comments. I am also considering yoga to lose weight. I am hoping that it will help with the flexibility and the weight loss.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Sunnie,

I cannot do physical exercise such as yoga or pilates, nor can I do gym exercises of any type. Only because I am disabled because of other medical conditions, so what I do are stretching exercises that I devised myself. These help to keep me a little more supple and I sure can feel the stretches, especially around my neck and shoulders which helps with the fibro stiffness and burning.

I also use a resistance exercise band, which is basically an elastic band type of aid, this is a long piece of material much like what balloons are made of and I have it hooked around my ankle and then pull on it and it lifts my leg up for me, as I can't do it myself. This then gives me the movement in my legs that I couldn't manage to do do without this aid.

I have actually posted my own set of upper body stretching exercises before, but if you want me to I will post them again.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 05-29-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran

jeepbabe HB User

Thank you golden wings. I appreciate your information.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:23 PM   #8
(female)

Suni321 HB User
Talking Re: Yoga????

Goldenwings - I'd love to have a copy of those upper body stretches - if you don't mind reposting.

Thanks!
Suni

Old 05-30-2006, 04:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Suni,

Glad to be of help. Thing is though, obviously this is something I devised for myself so if you tie yourself up in knots or have a mishap, please don't sue me hee hee !! I am not a professional physiotherapist or anything like that.

I have to do all of these exercises whilst being seated. It is up to the individual how they do them. However you do them, relax your body as much as you can before starting - difficult I know. Aim to do all of the exercises 5 times each side, if you canít that many at first then work up to doing 5, but no more. It doesnít sound a lot but it is enough pull on the muscles without overdoing it. All of them need tobe done in a soft flowing way, no sudden pulls or jerking of the head or body if you can help it. Righty ho, here we go.

Bring your head slowly down onto your chest, without pulling it, just letting it go gently. Bring it up again slowly and gently until you are looking upward towards the ceiling. Do 5 times. Rest for a minute.

On your left bring your head down sidewards towards your shoulder as though you are aiming for your ear to touch. Gently back up again. Do 5 times. Rest for a minute. Repeat this to your right shoulder. Do 5 times. Rest for a minute.

Look ahead, then turn your head to the left so that you are looking to the side. Gently bring it to the front again. Do 5 times. Rest for a minute. Then do this towards the right. Do 5 times. Rest for a minute.

Shrug up your shoulders until you feel them touching your ears. Do 5 times. Rest for a minute.

Rotate your left shoulder backwards. Do 5 times. Rest for a minute. Then repeat with your right shoulder. Do 5 times. Rest for a minute.

Repeat the above rotating your shoulders forwards.

From your waist, bring your body over to the left and feel the pull of your middle and lower back. Do 5 times. Rest for a minute. Repeat this on the right side. Do 5 times. Rest for a minute.

Totally relax your upper body by bending forward to the waist. The stretch will be felt.

I know this doesnít seem to be a big workout, but believe me is stretches and loosens you up very well. Work up to doing 5 of each, but no more.

I hope this is helpful to you. Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 05-30-2006 at 04:58 AM.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #10
(female)

meeeeelee HB User
Smile Re: Yoga????

I wanna try yoga. Anyone know of a good online site thats free?

Closed Thread