It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User
Feeling Flu-ish in the sun

Does anyone get sick from sun exposure with fibromyalgia? IS this a common symptom or is it an auto immune symptom? My doctor dismisses everything... i tested positive for auto immune twice last year, and when they tested i was neg and it got dismissed and i feel like im being mistreated and ignored and that i have more then just fibro so i really really need to know is Sun sensitivity is a symptom. (though i got several others that can count for auto immune as well..)

Thanks in advance

Old 05-24-2006, 11:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User
Re: Feeling Flu-ish in the sun

If I am outside in the heat very long I start to feel dizzy and kind of heavy. I also feel my skin burning, yet don't get sunburned. So I guess the feeling is just the sun's rays hurting my cells, but not enough to burn them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 05:00 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

Well, the sun gives me a rash, very quickly I might add, but it only itches and burns a little bit (not a sunburn). It goes away after an hour or two. If I'm out in the sun very long I also sometimes get nauseaous and weak feeling.

However, I have tested positive for lupus. Not positive ENOUGH however, to be officially diagnosed. My titer was 1:32. I get retested annually.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Last edited by GodsGirl4ever06; 05-25-2006 at 05:00 AM.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

ive tested positive for lupus also, but my dr is convienced i dont have it, so is my rheumy, i was just wondering if its all linked together or if im going crazy and should just give up...wich im so close to doing. Im just waiting for the world to fall on my face and something bad to happen just for proof... but with my luck that'll never happen lol.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
(female)

tweiler HB User

I take Norflex and nortriptylene daily and on both these is a caution to watch sun exposure. I get hot and flushed and have almost passed out just from being in the sun. I have to stay inside during the middle of the day when its hot otherwise I stay inside in the AC. But at night the AC makes me hurt worse so I frequently sleep in the recliner to stay away from the AC.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

In addition to photosensitivity potential from meds, the sun sensitivity in some AI diseases, there's also heat intolerance common in thyroid disorders. That can make you feel kinda sick & flu-ish.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Kittenpaws,
What tests for lupus came out positive?
I have Lupus, so just wondering & being concerned. If you have had repeated positive ANA or especially positive double strand DNA test, then get a new rheumy--you should be getting treatment.
Fibro often goes with lupus which can cause for a lot of confusion, but if lupus is there, it should be treated.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
(female)

la_brat HB User

Our daughters are photosensitive. One in particular, has to ware sunglass color glasses inside. They both get flu-like symptoms from being in the sun. They suffer the next day and sometimes longer. They cover up and stay in the shade as much a possible.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:39 AM   #9
(female)

NataliesMom HB User

Hmmm. I'm not sure. I also have MS, which in and of it's self is not a friend of the sun. Because of that I have something called Autonomic Dysfunction. I cannot tolerate the sun or heat for a very long time at all. I will and have passed out because of it. I do know that after a hot shower my "knots" hurt, especially around my shoulder and my knees and the ones in the bend of my arms. So I think maybe moist heat may affect me more than a dry heat. You could very well have some sort of auto-immune thing going on. I'd keep trying to find out about that.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #10
(female)

steeltowngirl HB User

I also have fibromyalgia. If i'm in the sun too long I start to get a really bad headache. sunglasses help some and I try to drink a lot of water. but in general I know exactly what you mean.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User

Having a reaction to the sun is not from Fibromylgia....

It's a big Lupus symptom.

Godsgirl...a titer of 1:32, which means 1:320 is quite significant. You might want to find a new doctor.

If you do have Lupus, treatment is very important.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #12
Veteran

jeepbabe HB User

I think I need to be retested for lupus because the Sun and heat related things make me ill. I get tired quickly from it, I get sick to my stomach and dizzy. Not to mention the head aches. Oy it is aweful.

Closed Thread