It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User
Smells and nausea and hot tastes

I have been really battling the smell, nausea and hot tongue lately. I started the smelling of lettuce that wasn't there back 30 years ago. We even had to thrown out a fridge. Now the smell is fires, spoiled milk and such. My nausea has been really bad for a couple months now. I had some patches prescribed for me, but they make me looney. Now I can barely eat any hot spices at all. My mouth just BURNS like crazy when everyone around me is eating the mild sauces I buy and saying they are not hot at all. This has been getting worse over the last 2 years. Soon I will not be able to eat any spicy foods at all. I am life threatening allergice to several foods--crab, pineapple to name two. It seemed that I had read in the FM Aware a while back that the smell, tastes and nausea thing are a part of the FM fun. How bout you guys?

Old 05-25-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Smells and nausea and hot tastes

you betcha! any smell can get me. i can be in a store and smell body odor and gag instantly. car exhaust too. actually on a sensitive day any smell can put me over the edge. in winter i open all the windows to get the house smell gone so i can be inside.
for me spicy food is about all i can get down easily. i will eat your share, kay?
without candy and mexican food i would shrivel up and blow away. giggle.
love,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
(female)

bilij HB User

Hi September, I'm also sensitive to smells, taste, noise and I'm sure
even small injuries seem to hurt more. I think fibromyalgia hightens all
our senses. The only good thing, some smells are so wonderful, like
the honeysuckles blooming around my house. It's just a pleasant scent
to everyone else...to me it is intoxicating. Sometimes at church they have the
sound so loud that it actually hurts my ears.(ear plugs dosen't work) then I look
across at a dear lady who isn't hearing the beautiful old hymns we all love so dearly.
She comes anyway because she says she loves the fellowship and she sings
along. I've always heard that we aquire taste. It's sure hard to give up the
foods we enjoy so much, but sometimes we just have to do whatever it takes.
I'm sounding like a ''Pollyanna'', which I'm not. We had a dead rat in our attic
that nearly drove me crazy. No one could smell it but me. Finally my husband
made a 3rd trip up there and found it decomposed; because he couldn't smell it,
he thought it was just ME.
I was so happy to see your name again, it's been awhile. My prayers are with
you as you find the solution to this problem.
Bilij

Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
(female)

NataliesMom HB User

Wow, I'm a super sniffer too!!

I like it at times, but hate it at others like all of you. I hate when a smell can wake me from a dead sleep on the rare occasions I have that luck to sleep like that.

I could never work in a restaurant though, a bunch of smells if blended together make me feel sick as a dog sometimes. I had no idea this was a part of Fibro. From what my doc said it is also an MS thing too. Something about the sensativies of people that have chronic illnesses tend to be extreme because of the things our bodies have to do on a daily basis to keep us running.

All I know is that it drives my DH nuts sometimes because I'll smell something that just isn't there and go looking all over the house for it or make accusations that their hiding something from me. For 2 weeks not to long ago I kept smelling pine, we have no pine stuff in the house. It was awful because it made me so sick to my stomach to keep smelling something like Pinesol.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User

Oh my GOSH!!!! My smeller is so sensitive! And Nataliesmom, I have woken up before from a rare dead sleep over it. This is gross but if my 6 year old comes to our room and goes pee and forgets to flush the toilet it has woken me up! Or I'll get up and spray Lysol all over the house. If someone is sick it smells so sick to me I have to open windows even in the winter to air it out.
I thought I was losing my mind over this.
Yes, the honeysuckles are in bloom right now in my backyard and it is wonderful. But the chemicals in the spa.......
How weird is all of this. No one commented on my last thread but my doc thinks this is all a "blanket set of symptoms" that could go with anything.
I think we all have too much in common.
As for taste I love anything still. But I have always gotten nauseous easily but lately I am a lot. And some loose stools too. Don;t know.
Deena

Last edited by MOMOFBOYZ; 05-25-2006 at 08:48 PM.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

Well, it appears I am not alone! I have been down in bed for a couple of days with a migraine. It started, of all times, during intimacy with my husband. I have been sick to my stomach and THE headache, light sensitivity, etc. ever since. The first thing was numb lips, then the SMACK of the headache. I used to have my scalp go numb in my 20s. Now my lips....argh....went for a shot at the urgent care clinic because it is 1 mile away--GP is 10 miles--and all they could give me was Tigan and something called...oh I can't remember what. It did work for 40 minutes, then wham. I am still feeling it on the "edge" if you know what I mean. I guess this is off my own subject. Thanks for replying everyone. I hate being alone....and thanks for noticing I have been gone Bilij.

karen

Old 05-26-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

you are never alone karen. you have all of us popping into your room, anytime you need us.
i used to have migraines. yes i remember the edge. migraines can take you there, quickly. stay quiet, drink your water, and breath. don't set a date for when it will end. that adds stress, especially if your head ignores you. you know it will pass, in time. do what you know to do, and let her rip. i had them for more than 30 years. like other illnesses acceptance takes all the fun away from the migraine monsters that dance in your head. may not make the pain go away, maybe tho, you won't be frustrated.
it took a few years to get the hang of it. at the end they did not seem to last as long. still intense, oh yea.
peace and love,
bluelakelady
peace and love,
bluelakelady

Old 05-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran

jeepbabe HB User

Add me to this list as well. Wow I learn something new everyday. Things that I thought were a part of my everyday life are actually the ever glorious gifts of FM. LOL! Sarcasm for those of you who didn't get that. Yeah I smell that strangest things and my Fiance always thinks I am losing it. Well it is nice to know that I am not alone. I also have the sensitivity to spicy foods. If there is even one fleck of pepper on something (at sensitive times) My mouth will be on fire. Wierd huh? For most people yes. But not for us.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

jeepbabe,

yeah, I know what you're talking about with the black pepper. eeeek....it really almost sends me gagging--it seems so over the top hot. live one day, learn lots.....

everyone else:
the headache expanded into something I have never had and lasted until today around noon. Wed through Monday. VERY bad stuff. Then my mom called and said my sister had had the same kind of headache practically on the same days. (we live 120 miles apart) and we haven't seen each other for 6 weeks at grandpa's funeral. now is that weird or not????? She has been dxed with RA, FM and Thyroiditis over years. She also has extra sesitive nose and taste buds as well as shellfish allergy like me, but she eats shrimp anyway. That is NUTS. But I am off the topic again.........

I may go see my GP tomorrow to see what this headache could have been. I have had one stroke already and though I don't sense any differences, it is strange to feel this way--especially the numb lips and cheeks.

well,,,,,,,maybe I will or not,,,,,,I HATE going to the doctor!!

Xs & Os tonight guys!!!!!karen

Old 05-29-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

Almost forgot!!!!! My husband says we should bind together and become the X-Women (men if you are out there) with our super senses--kind of spidey senses!! We could make our uniforms out of the cardbord boxes O24 comes out of and wear nose clips until our services are needed. LOLOLOL

Any joiners???

Old 05-29-2006, 11:05 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User
Lightbulb Re: Smells and nausea and hot tastes

Almost forgot!!!!! My husband says we should bind together and become the X-Women (men if you are out there) with our super senses--kind of spidey senses!! We could make our uniforms out of the cardbord boxes O24 comes out of and wear nose clips until our services are needed. LOLOLOL

Any joiners???

Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 AM   #12
(female)

Laura630 HB User

I'm glad to know i'm not the only onehaving these problems. My family didnt get it. I cant stand the smell of our dishes and glasses. I dont like to eat at home or cook anymore! I cant stand the smell of tuna, meats...I can smell tuna a mile away...Im so tired of these problems.

What I'd give to just be normal again.

I have fibromyalgia, neuromyalgia, sarcoidosis, chronic pain, artheritis and bi polar. I'm 35 with 2 children. I have to have help taking care of them. I have a tutor for my 3rd grader. I cant afford the tutor but I cant afford not to have her! My son deserves a good education, like all kids! My disabled mom has to help me with cleaning and do laundry.

My husband is working his butt off at work and home. Im so afraid hes going to get sick of all the problem and leave me. He keeps insisting he wont. He keeps telling me Im gonna get better.

Im so depressed... this was not my plans for my life! Im so angry, We just got married and all this started. I feel like a failure.

Im just feeling sorry for myself. I cant belive everything is going to hell.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:19 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

dearest laura,
welcome to the boards. take a deep breath. you are not a failure. none of us are. no one get's the exact life they dream of. no one. there are always twists and turns in life that throw our plans out the window.
being angry will not help. it will make you sicker and it will make life for those around you harder. watching someone you love be angry over something they cannot change is hard. fibromyalgia eats anger and loves it. turns all that anger and fear into pain. big hurting pain. huge monster pain.
i know it is hard sister. you must find a way to be at peace with this change in your life. for the sake of your children, your husband, your mom and yourself. we set the example for our children. let them see how strong, adaptable, accepting and capable you are no matter what life hands you. let them see just how able a disabled person can be.
i got myself into a shrink to learn how to live in my new body. 9 years of therapy. worth every moment. i have a bunch of stuff including strokes, and yet, here i am. strong, happy, and loving my life and my body. this is my life. i decide if i am happy. i have decided i am.
you come here and ask any questions. there are some pure loving humans here. many of them.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps hey september, i get to be "the aging" zena warrior goddess, kay?

Old 05-30-2006, 06:38 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

I was thinking last night laying in bed about the acute sense of smell and decided that it just might actually be a gift. After all, who here hasn't had a bad cold or flu and couldn't smell for a couple days. Remember how TERRIBLE it was to not be able to taste any food? Well, we really taste our food since our smellers work so great and if you have to eat (not that I would ever call it "have" to eat) then isn't it great that we get to taste so vividly? Wow, we really are superheroes.......

Old 05-30-2006, 06:50 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

Laura630,

I watched a commercial last night that reminded me of "yesterday" before FM--which in my case was about 25 years ago. It made me weepy. After 25 years and I still can remember what it was like to "hop out of bed and jog several miles". Well, I thought about it and reminded myself that I am in EVERY way different from that young mother and wife so many years ago. I am different mentally, spiritually, physically (even without FM). My conclusion was this: I am ME and Me is a good thing. I can't do all the things I could but I am still an evolving person and that is also a good thing. I would suggest getting into therapy with a counselor you really mesh with. THough I started going for another reason, it has helped me to vent on the therapist once a week to avoid venting on my loved ones. ( I still do sometimes). I am blessed with good insurance, but most of them will establish a payment plan if you don't have any.

As far as letting it all hang out--I shutter to think where I would be without BlueLake, Bilji and the others here. We've got your back!

Closed Thread