It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
(female)

happiness is HB User
fibro and sleep disorders

I'm just curious if others are having their fibro being treated as a sleep disorder and by treating the sleep disorder, their fibro has improved? This method has worked extremely well for me for 24 years but the last few months I am having falling asleep and even more trouble staying asleep. My pain is starting to return. I've started changing around the dosage and times of my meds in hopes things will click back into place. I'm wondering what medications people are using if they are being treated for a sleep disorder?

Old 05-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
(female)

Avrod6 HB User
Re: fibro and sleep disorders

My rheum and family doc both say that sleep disorders are a HUGE thing with fibro. People with fibro don't get into the 3 and 4 sleep. And if you think about it....when healthy people don't get their sleep they too feel tired and weak. Imagine what we are dealing with. I am getting to know my body pretty good and I honestly believe that sleep disorders are a huge issue with me. I know for a fact that I get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. I don't wake up (I don't think) like you hear some people say. But I am always tired and after sleeping for this amount of time I can still go right back to bed and sleep a few more hours. That is not right!!!!
Do you mind if I ask what has been prescribed for you in the past. I take lunesta and just a week ago I was switched from flexeril to trazodone. I am still trying different things because I can't find anything to do the trick.
Thanks for any info. you might give

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
(female)

happiness is HB User

Hi Avrod6. When I was first diagnosed (family doctor, sleep disorder clinic and rhumatologist (sp??), many years ago I was put on Elavil to combat the sleep disorder. I was specifically told to stay away from sleeping pills or any like product because they diminish the quality of sleep where the Elavil worked on the problem at the central nervous system. It worked very well for me. About 10 years ago I started having panic attacks. I was taken off the Elavil and switched to medications which would help the sleep disorder as well as the panic disorder. I tried numerous ones including Paxil, Zoloft etc. Each had side effects which were not acceptable to me and we finally settled on Wellbutrin SR. I was taking 150 mg x twice a day. Over the years I have lowered the dosage to 150 mg once a day. This past month my sleep disorder has returned. I would wake up within 10 minutes of falling asleep and have a difficult time falling back asleep (if at all). Other nights I would wake up constantly. The result of this sleep disruption is that my fibro was back with a vegence. My entire back felt bruised like someone had hit me on every spot of it. My elbows and knees were killing me. I decided to up my Wellbutrin to 150 mg in the morning and 100 mg in the evening. As well, I am taking 1 mg of Lorazapam at night. The change over the past few days has been remarkable . . . elbow pain is gone, back pain is 95% gone and my knees are almost pain free. I don't know if everyone's fibro is associated with a sleep disorder but mine definitely is. If you don't get into the REM sleep then your body/muscles are never relaxed. Have you had a sleep disorder test . . . you spend the night there wired up? I was tested prior to going on the meds and the doctor said I woke up an unbelievable amount of times throughout the night. He said that normally people do wake up for a split second but nowhere close to the amount that I did. He said that you don't even realize you have woken up but the tests show each time you wake up. After going on the meds I was again tested. An unbelievable improvement. I used to complain of the same thing . . . I would sleep 8 hours and wake up exhausted. This was because the quality of sleep was compromised and when you have a sleep disorder you really aren't getting anywhere close to 8 solid hours of sleep. I'm not familiar with the meds you are taking but if they are sleep aids, you shouldn't be taking them. Hope this helps.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I take flexeril and lamictal to help me sleep. Maybe this would work for you. I sleep all night unless i have to get up to empty my bladder.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Butch0926 HB User
Unhappy Re: fibro and sleep disorders

Hi Avrod6,
I don't get here very often, but like you, I'm looking for a way to handle my sleep problems. I agree that if you don't get to stage 3 and 4, your body feels like the typical "run over by a mack truck".

That's me lately. I walk around in a haze. I've begun to take two or three naps a day. Nothing helps. And doctors are at a loss as to what to do for us.

I had a sleep study done - no apnea or RLS. "Just" lack of deep sleep. I take Elavil (10 mg) and Trazodone (75 mg) before bed. I don't feel like I wake up at night except for a once a night trip to the bathroom. My doctor prescribed Flexeril (10 mg), but I've been afraid to take it. I read somewhere that it also relaxes the heart, which is a muscle. I've also tried 5 mg of Ambien once in a while, but that gives me such a hangover! I feel like I'm drugged for the whole next day.

I'm going to have to do something to get some sleep or I'm going to collapse! Luckily, I'm retired so I don't have to worry about going to work. That would be totally impossible!

Here's hoping we find the answer to our sleep problems - soon!

Old 05-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
(female)

Jennio HB User

My fibro doctor said the first thing we needed to tackle was sleep because it was such an important foundation in getting well. I had a sleep study done to rule out sleep apnea and other sleep disorders, which I didn't have. Then we worked on making sure I get restful, full night's sleep. First, we worked on sleep habits, like taking a hot bath before bed, doing gentle stretches, etc. Pain was making it difficult for me to fall asleep, so I now take a muscle relaxant, Zanaflex, and if needed, pain medication, Darvocet, before going to bed. Also, to help me fall asleep and get into the deeper stages of sleep (which fibro sufferers often have difficulty with), I take 3mg of Lunesta every night. I sleep much better now.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
(female)

ashraven828 HB User

At the moment I'm on ProSom (generic name: estazolam) and it isn't doing me much good at all. I'm still drowsy all the time and I constantly want to nap, but can rarely fall asleep and if I'm lucky enough to fall asleep I don't stay asleep long. At one point in time I was on Restoril (generic name: Temazepam) and it worked quite well at keeping me asleep, but it made it hard for me to concentrate at school and I was pretty much just a zombie all the time.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
(female)

Avrod6 HB User

Hi, I too was on elavil for a while in the beginning and it did nothing for me. Then I was put on flexiril and 3mg lunesta. Still waking up feeling horrible. So 2 weeks ago my rhuem. told me to quit taking the flexeril but stay on the lunesta and he also put me on trazodone. So far I can't say if any miracles have happened. The hard thing with trazodone is that you must take 2-3 hours before bedtime and sometimes that is hard to tell when bedtime is. I don't understand why if so many people have sleeping problems why can't they find a solution. It is kinda funny (in a horrible kinda way) so many doctors have such different approachs. It is so easy to take a pain pill if you are feeling soooo horrible, but as I have found out that doesn't really take the pain away it just fogs your mind and makes the time pass. I am trying to stay away from them altogether, but at really bad times it is all that I have and that makes me very nervous.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User

Hi All,

From what I can see it is all very personal and everyone is different on how they react to each medication. I was finally just dxed about 2 months ago with FM and CMP which I have had for over 20 years. I don't think that sleepog was to much of a problems however I might not have been getting the good sleep I need. However, lately I have been getting up every night a bunch of times to go to the bathrom. When I told it to my Rheumy she said that I probably just wake up and then rember or get the feeling that I have to go. That is probably true Well , first she started me on 10 mg of the generic Flexeril at night before bed. It did not seem to help that much, maybe a little bit. So she added the generic Clonazepam 0.5 at night. It seems to be helping me some and not having to get up so much with less pain during the day. So we will see and time will tell. That, I believe is an antiseizure and andidepressant that does something to the nerves that helps with the pain.

Hopefully I will not have to increase the dosaage. I hate beng on so much medication - also b/p meds, thyroid, and Forteo for osteoporosis. Growing old is not for sissies, as they say. However, when I starteed with all this stuff with EBVS before Chronic Fatigue, FM, etc) I was also younger and I still felt like. Hopefully these meds will get me to feeling alot better !! Good luck also to you all !

Let me know if you find the magic bullet (-: !!!

Blessings,

Graniluvs8

Old 06-07-2006, 04:22 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

oh wow do i have trouble sleeping AND when i do finally fall asleep have trouble staying asleep. i take elavil and have for about 8 yrs now. it worked wonders at the beginning and for years, lately tho, like for the last 6 months or so, i might sleep anywhere from NO sleep whatsoever the entire night (as in i just cant fall asleep so read instead) to 5 hours and in between. Usually it ends up being the "in between" with an average of maybe 2-3 hours of sleep if that per night.

Closed Thread