It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
(female)

dridlen HB User
Worried

Hi, I have been diagnosed with fibro. I am probably worrying over nothing, I often do

But

I have some anxieties over my meds that I have been prescribed and have been on for about 1 1/2 months.

I am on Effexor and Wellbutrin. They say that depression hurts and it makes fibro pain much worse, well I would have to agree because not only am I feeling better emotionally, (anxiety and depression greatly improved) but my pain is a lot less. Most of the time anyway. Am hurting quite a bit tonight, but that is beside the point.

I also take Lorazepam (not sure of spelling) at night to help me sleep. The sleep is not going so well, most night/mornings I do not get to sleep until well after 3am.

Now to the worry part. I am scared to death of the things I have read about Effexor and withdrawl when it is time to stop taking it. It almost makes me want to quit taking it now so I don't have quite such a hard time. The second concern is the Loranzepam, I seriously don't want to become addicted to it. I have first hand knowledge of drug addiction as our son has had the disease of drug addiction for years. It has destroyed his life.

Any thoughts?

D.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Worried

hi d,
nice to meet you.
people with fibromyalgia seldom get addicted to the meds they are on. a wise doctor will wean you off any meds when it is time to stop. usually by presenting an interim drug to ease the way.
your experience with your child is different. the thought process behind his way of life is not the same as yours. please do not compare your journey with his. you are on such opposite roads.
if you are caused stress by the meds you take you must find peace with the meds or find other meds you do feel safe with. all of them have potential side effects. it is a crapshoot as to which risks you are willing to take to have your quality of life back. talk with your doctor some more. it is so important that you see your meds as helpers to your healing.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

okay this is just my view point about talking to Doctors about medication..They just don't know anything about prescriptions let alone what goes with what...Every person's body is different so what may affect one person may not affect another. Sorry I learned along time ago that they are not gods as most of them think. You kind of have to ask the pharmistist, read the read outs you get and do reasearch of your own on the internet about side effects then make a decision. Just like all anit-depressants you have to wean yourself off of the Effecxor when it is time..I personally could not tollerate the Wellbuton.. let alone mixing it with something else. Made my depresson worse. The loresepam you could have problems getting off of it also...I took colesepam but was on it for like 7 to 8 years...your body does get addicted to it..but then if you drink coffee or eat chocolate everyday your body will get accoustomed to it..You might read on the Effexor and Wellbutron about causing insomnia...maybe you need to cut down on the dosage so you can sleep. Or just stop it..or just keep doing what you are doing for now...I know even though I took a sleeping pill didn't always make me sleep either...

Good Luck....
Hope you get well soon...

Old 05-29-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Hi, I understand your concern about taking the meds. I took xanax which is a benzo like lorazepam for 10 years and am tapering off of it now using the Ashton method. It will take me 33 weeks to get off of it. Benzo's are for short term use.

I take wellbutrin sr not the extended release. I have done well on it, but plan to taper it also after the xanax, just to see how i do. I have also be on it for 10 years.

My husband took effexor for about 3 months and had no libido and was agitated all the time. This is a difficult antidepressant to get off of and when he was ready to quit, he doctor wouldn't taper him. He went through withdrawals for about 2 weeks.

If i had it to do over again, i never would have taken the xanax. Flexeril helps me sleep all night. At the time i started the wellbutrin, i was having severe depression but it was do to something going on in my life, that is not going on now.

The main thing is to be the manager of your healthcare providers. What they say is not the gospel. Educate yourself on every med and treatment and keep track of your symptoms. I learned this the hard way. I just did whatever i was told. Take care and keep the faith.

Donna

Closed Thread