It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
Veteran

jeepbabe HB User
Work

Has anyone had trouble keeping their job due to FM and the pain and symptoms associated with it? My work is giving me such a hard time. I am afraid I am going to lose my job. Then what? What does everyone do for work that has FM. Do they work at all? Can you get on disability? As you can see I am sooooo worried about this. Please help.

Thanks,
Sunnie

Old 05-29-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Work

jeepbabe,

Work was very difficult with the fibro and other health problems I experience. I did however manage to keep going for several years but kept reducing my hours of work until I was finally parttime. I then gave up my job in 2004, the work was not worth it. I fortunately have a husband who has a good retirement plan and we do fine on that.

I know for those who may be younger than me (57) it is so difficult to keep going and keep up with everything. I really don't have a solution for you but I am sure others on the board will have better advice.

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Veteran

jeepbabe HB User

Glojer,

Thank you so much. Even just knowing that others are going through the same thing helps. I am so upset because I am so young. I am only 24 and already feel like a sixty year old woman. I wouldn't normally say that to someone but I know you understand what I mean. I just wish my work was more understanding. Has anyone on here gone into home based business to suppliment or anything?

Old 05-30-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
(female)

nmamommy HB User

Hi,
I, too, am very worried about the work question. I am 41 and have been a stay at home mom and not worked for over 10 years so I can't get disability. My husband and I are getting divorced because my being ill killed our already sick marraige, and the money I will be recieving from him will not be that much. I have looked into home based businesses, but it's hard to tell which are legit. Also, I found the claim about working your own hours to be not so true. Turned out to be impossible for me because of the kids (I have 3, and the youngest is 4).
I do know that many people with Fibro have gotten disabilty, but it was a kinda hard fight, and age may play into it. I also know that there are a lot of legitamate work at home opportunities, or at least some that you don't have to pay to get involved in.

[ REMOVED ]

Maria

Last edited by moderator2; 05-31-2006 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
(female)

Jennio HB User

I can completely understand how you feel--frustrated, scared, hopeless, and helpless. I am 27 and have fairly severe fibromyalgia. I nearly lost my job until I learned there are laws to protect you. I am now on disability.

There is the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), which protects your job for a total of 12 weeks of medical leave. If you do not have sick leave to cover your time away from work, your FMLA leave will be leave with out pay, but it protects your job while you are gone. Talk to you human resource representative about FMLA and other options that can help you with work. Also, research on the Internet about FMLA in your state.

There is also the option of state disability. Chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia do qualify for disability. Talk to your doctor about whether you would qualify.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi jeep,
in america there is a thing called 'the peoples with disabilities act'. it protects you and your job. it states that a person cannot be turned down or let go because of a disablity. i had a friend who had polio as a child. she was turned down for a job and used the act to get that job. she also has fibromyalgia.
i am sure you can do a search on gov. sites for this act and read up on it. my daughter is going thru the same thing at work. she also has fibro and works for the gov. she is having a hard time and i think she will have to stop soon if she does not get feeling better. she is new and in her first true flare.
find out your rights. it is the only way to protect yourself. going on disability is not easy. emotionally it is hell. i know. i did it. they would not give it to me for fibro. they did give it to me due to my emotional state and inability to cope with normal stresses that arise from working. so, i am a nut case, giggle. whatever works. i have a roof over my head and i eat. i'm happy.
keep us posted and hang in there. do not let them send you running to the ladies room weeping. there is a song, get up, stand up. stand up for your rights. bob marley.
peace,
bluelakelady

Last edited by bluelakelady; 05-31-2006 at 06:02 AM. Reason: dropped a letter

Old 05-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
(female)

ajtesto3 HB User

hello-
i to have been diagonosed with fibro about 3 months ago right after i had my son. i never had any symptoms or anything. i cant work, i can barely walk around my house. i went from being very active with 3 kids and always going shopping or walking around stores or just going out, to barely leaving my home. grocery shopping, my hubby does half the time. in the mornings its the worst, and its even harder when i have to take care of a 4 month old. i know how ya feel about feeling like an old lady, im only 30 and i feel the same way. half the time i look like it to when i walk. i havent found anything to help me. i take vitamins but thats about it. i am trying to get on ssi disibility at the moment. hopefully that goes good. i know it takes a while to get approved. well hope all is well, god bless you!!! amy

Old 05-31-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

First let me welcome ajesto to the board.

Jeep I know it is hard to fight and get on disability, and there is a disability board that may have some helpful hints for you but don't ever give up fighting to get good health care and fighting for your rights. When I was working, because of the length of time I worked at that job I made more per hour than the others (there was always a big turnover). New management came in and he tried to get rid of all us old ladies for the the newer more stacked versions who made less money. He had my manager give me a very bad review and tell me I had 6mo. to shape up or be dismissed. I had worked there for about 8yrs at that time with nothing but glowing reviews and letters from the corporate head that told me what a great job he thought I did and special impromptu dept. meeting called by the GM to tell everyone that he was directed by the regional GM to let me know my name was brought up in the corporate meeting as being the best at my job.

I am not trying to brag, just making a point to let you know you have options. I had forgotten all this until some of the other posts. When the new management tried to get rid of us old girls with the lousy reviews, some of us said 'age discrimination' and some of us said 'americans with disability act'. I was able to use both and believe me it wasn't 2weeks and I had a new review with "the new review forms" not the "old ones".....wink wink! Funny I had a great review and I was never bothered again by management or given any static about the hours I said I needed to work or anything. I do remember when I went to HR about the bad review I told the director I was going out of that place on my terms not managements. I guess they knew I was serious.

Make sure you DOCUMENT EVERYTHING (I always did and they knew it) put down on paper anything that is said to you and the date and time and keep records of everything. I am sure this will help you also in your fight for disability if you need it.

Glojer

Old 06-03-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I had to quit my job and went on ssdi. I had 8 years of psychiatric records for depression so i think that they based it on that and the fibro. It took 6 months from the time i filed. My check is $1050 a month. I wasn't eligible for long term disability because UNUM wouldn't cover the fibro. They have been sued over and over but still continue to deny claims. I am recovering well and plan to return to work.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
Veteran

jeepbabe HB User

Thank you all for your comments. This will really help in my goal to make them stop treating me this way or to stop work all together.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

i had to stop working mainly because of fibro and i also suffer from anxiety and depression. i decieded to file for disability through SS. i have been dealing with it for i think 3yrs now and it is a fight.
i am already at the federal level and even have a 2nd case going now.
i do have a new atty so i hope that helps.
i am 30yrs and have 3kids so i think that makes it hard..
hope this helps.
robin

Last edited by girl75; 06-05-2006 at 10:06 AM.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:16 PM   #12
(female)

lilbear1978 HB User

Hey I know what you are going through...I have lost 5 jobs in the past two years due to FM...I am in the process of applying for diability...I know that it is a long battle but just keep the fight and you will get what you rightfully deserve...I live in Canada and we have to explain why we feel our health problems keep us from work and it is hard...People don't understand because we don't look sick on the outside...we just look tired...But if only they could live life in our shoes for one day and feel what we have to deal with for days, weeks, months, to years depending on how bad the flare up is...I have had 2 weeks that were pretty good just the odd burning aching cramping and now a flare up has hit...It is 3am right now and nobody understands what we FM patients have to deal with...Keep fighting for your disability and hope everything works out in the end...You will be in my prayers...

Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I could never hold a fulltime job. Thank God I am fortunate enough to own my own business where I can have people work for me. And my business sometimes suffers from having Fibro. Things I should be getting done, I don't, like paper work etc. I feel so sorry for anyone with Fibro that has to get up every morning and go to work. I am in pain every day. Sometimes I am so stiff in the morning, its hard to get dressed.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #14
(female)

Chef Elizabeth HB User

SSI......they don't care you are, how old you are, what you have (I even know a guy that had no legs) most can not get SSI in less than 2-3 years. They want you to be completely destitute and with single people that doesn't take long. They want you to give up.....this is crazy! SSI is part of what I have worked the last 30 years to have if I needed it! I'm not sure if they have always been that way, but they surely have for the last 10 years. I know so many that tried and won(but it took them 2-3 yrs.), some that tried and lost, and a few that just gave up all together. Being a single wage earner, I'm going to have to stash plenty of cash before I can attempt to apply for SSI. Surely they know that you have to have a roof over your head and food to eat, utilities and meds just to live. I can just see my landlord waiting for 2-3 years for his rent. And I think I can put off eating for a couple of days, but 2-3 years would be pushing it, or not having my meds. I would probably shoot myself (which is probably what they would like, therefore they could close the request). I know ADD has recognized FM as a disability, but they have recognized paralysis also, the filing is the same, you apply get denied, appeal get denied, appeal again, get denied and the lawyer you have to get drags it out because the higher the retro pay is the more he gets for his part. Why do I have to have a lawyer for something I paid for by working all those years??? If anyone has any way to speed up the process, please let me know.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
(female)

la_in_fla HB User

I am also concerned about this.

I have been working the same job for almost nine years, and the past few years have been very difficult. My boss has been amazing when it comes to being patient with me, but he has a company to run and he needs to be able to count on the work being done and being done right. I find I'll have a couple good days where I'll work like crazy and really get a lot done, but that is always followed by a week or more of days when I can't think or concentrate and just making it to the office is a feat. I am so far behind in all my paperwork and it is causing a lag for my coworkers when they need to know something and I can't put my hand on it without first digging through all my unfinished work. I feel that at this rate, I see no hope of ever being caught up.

I'm also in a new relationship, and early next year we will be moving a few hours away due to a transfer in his job. I'll need to have the work at my current job caught up and be able to train someone else to take over, and then go and find a new job with a new company and a boss who might not be as willing to work with me. This scares me a whole lot.

There are days when I have a lot of trouble dealing with these work issues, and I mentally beat myself up for being unable to properly handle the responsibilities of life and an ordinary job, but I can't even think of applying for SSI, since one has to not be working for such a long time before they'll approve it, and that is just not a possibility. Somehow I have to make it work, so I keep trudging along and trying new supplements and diet alterations and hoping against hope that I can increase the two-good-days thing so that I can have more good time before the rough time comes again.

I wonder if there is some sort of business that a group of fibro people could start together, using all their varied experience and abilities. Maybe by working together and covering for one another during the "down" times, the things that need to be done could be done and everyone could have some peace of mind income-wise.

Any ideas?

Closed Thread