It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

Chef Elizabeth HB User
Sugar

Does anyone have a continous desire for sweets, sugar based food? I have always been a chocolate fiend, but it seems the past few years that I constantly crave sweets. I was diagnosed with FM about 8 years ago and have run the full gamit on symptoms, but the sweet thing appears to be getting out of control. I would rather eat a piece of cake than regular food.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Sugar

Yah, but sugar also gives me flares ... one to watch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

sugar? did i hear sugar? you will always get my attention with that, giggle.
at first the cravings were so big i grew into them. literally, i gained 50 pounds stuffing my beautiful body with goodies. love, love chocolate!
that was 12 years ago. my weight became an issue for my feet so i cut down. i am very active and am able to maintain my weight at 135 and allow myself at least 5 candy bars a week. i stay away from ice cream.
why do we crave our goodies? at first it was related to meds i was taking. later to unhappiness. now i attribute it to joy. pure simple joy. i have alot of trouble getting my body to eat. usually once a day and only a small amount. i am vegetarian so when i do eat it is healthy. then i eat my candy so i can have a well balanced diet. tee hee!
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 05-31-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
(female)

irishsue HB User

oh yes i hear you about the sugar its terrible i just crave it bluelake lady what happens to you feet just curious?

Old 05-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

If it has sugar in it, dip me up a big helping and that would be me sneaking in line for seconds and thirds. To answer the question.....YES.....I love sweets! I am not a real chocolate fan though, it is ok but I am a little picky about my chocolate.

Like elmhar it does give me flares though so I have to be very careful. I have discovered that splenda does not seem to bother me and I don't have a problem with it so it satisfys my sugar crave.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
(female)

bilij HB User

Hi everyone, I've never been a ''sweet eater''. My mother always
said as a child I'd rather have a green apple than a piece of pie.
When I read about the benefits of dark choclate, I started eating
2 or 3 of the dark choc. Dove pieces. I really enjoy that. I've always
cooked desserts of my family, but ate very little.......now beans, corn
bread and sweet potatoes, that's a different story; just sugar in a
different form! At 75 I don't worry too much about my weight and
except for fish, I'm a vegetarian also and have been for 50 years.
I had a doctor tell me one time, that as a woman grows older, she
needs a little extra body weight. It's getting late and what I've posted
sounds so silly, but I'll send it anyway.......blame it on the Ambien!!!
Bilij

Old 06-01-2006, 06:01 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi sue,
nice to meet you. my feet got so sore from carrying the extra weight around. they would swell and throb if i was on my feet for any lenght of time. now that i have lost that weight i can be on my feet for hours and never have any trouble. my feet tell me first if i gain weight.
like bilij i don't worry about my weight. i do pay attention to my comfort level. oh bilij i can taste your good food right now. yum! by the way i always order desert with my meals so i can eat them together. giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 06-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #8
(female)

Suni321 HB User

Ah sugar - I could eat sweet things morning/noon & night! It's a constant desire to have them & to fight it off. As sugar filled treats makes me flare - completely increasing my muscle/body aches & not to mention when I crash down somewhat depressed! Not to mention wreaks severe havoc on my sleep. If only I could have an addiction to fruit or vegetables. Ah wouldn't that make life simplier?

Old 06-01-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

same here, dont know if it was the meds, probably was. love carbs and sweets, and YES have gained so much weight its ridiculous. i also have a thyroid problem so that hasnt helped at all in losing weight. but like the others, i get flareups and or rather small flareups/reactions to the sugar and end up hurting for a few days, so have limited my sugar intake considerably. have decided to go on a diet, trying the atkins diet tho not so sure how that will work for me. but i do think sugar is bad for us who have fibro.

Closed Thread