It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
New to fibro.........feel like I am CRAZY

hi everyone.
I have been reading here for a few weeks and I finally decided to say hi to you all. I am newly diagnosed with Fibro and am wondering what the heck this really is!
The pain is not always bad but then I go weeks at a time and feel like heck, especially in my back around my rib cage and upper left abdomanal area. I have had IBS for many years but this pain is different. My Dr thinks it is from the fibro............anyone else have unexplained pain here? I have had this for a couple of years I think, so many test have been done and nothing wrong yet I ache here and I ache there...........I read a sympton list of fibro and had almost everything on it.i was shocked! how do you all deal with this? I am a tough gal and have many surgeries and am not new to pain but this seems so strange to me. I know this doesnt make much sence, I guess I just need to vent.
do any of you know of a GOOD book about fibro with GOOD information I could pick up? Does diet help????? I am starting Effexor now, have tried Cymbalta and did not do well on that............my Dr thinks the Effexor will help, do any of you have any experience with this? I have taken Wellbutrin before and did well on it for depression but dont know much about the Effexor.
Any comments, advice, anything would be so helpful to me right now.........I know I can manage this as I am determined not to let it take over my life...
thanks for any feed back..........
dlh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: New to fibro.........feel like I am CRAZY

From Fatigued to Fantastic, by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, who is himself a fibro sufferer as well as a clinician. What I like best about this book is its balance. There's a lot of fibro books out there pushing one therapy or another. Not saying those don't have their place, but Teitelbaum gives thoughtful pros and cons on a whole host of fibro treatments, both conventional medical as well as alternative med.

Good luck.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

I also have to agree on From Fatigue to Fantastic

another book that is also helping me is by Claudia Craig Marek. Its called "
Fibromyalgia" (The First Year - A patient-expert walks you through everything you need to learn and do) (well thats all the big letters on the cover LOL). This one is really helping me deal with the disease physically as well as mentally.

When looking for a book i suggest finding something current and up to date, the old ones are really out of touch with treatements of today.

I hope you get your peace.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Thanks to you both...............I will pick them both up..............afterall, knowledge is power............or so they say, LOL! Thanks again!

Old 06-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

dear dlh,
welcome. the pain you describe is quite familiar. in the beginning you will wonder about your sanity. will you be able to stay sane thru this? yes. for myself a good shrink was in order. after 9 years of therapy i graduated with honors. giggle.
this change in your body requires new coping skills and boundaries. therapy assisted me in establishing both boundaries and creating new skills for living in pain. i found my joy, as i am.
i too thought i was one tough babe. and i am. however i was ill equiped for such a drastic change in my physical reality. with the skills that are appropriate for me i am now a smooth sailing old girl with fibro. and i like it. i decide if i am happy. i am. even on the days i curl up in tiny balls and say ouch, my joy is laying there beside me saying, tomorrow is another day.
get your knowledge. it will empower you to incorporate this new aspect into your reality and not be so fearful of tomorrow.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 06-09-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
(female)

NancyJones HB User

DLH -

I have this same exact pain on my left side. It drives me crazy just because I don't know what it is, but it's one of my first symptoms. It comes and goes like yours for weeks at a time. I had an endoscopy and they found mild acid at bottom of my esophagus and mild gastritis, but nothing major, so I'm not taking anything for it.

I am on a drug trial for Cymbalta, which seems to help a little, more calming than anything. I think Fibro just brings out normal body function pain that maybe is normal but that we just didn't feel before.

Nancy

Old 06-09-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Nancy,
thanks for the reply. I had an ultrasound done this week and anxiously waiting the results........i too had the endoscopy and have acid but I have to take meds once a year or so for about 8 weeks or it is just too bad. I have had every test under the sun in the last few years.......but this pain is the worst and I have never hurt here before like this. Guess I will wait it out!!!

Bluelake lady,
you are an encouragement to everyone here. THANK YOU!

Old 06-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #8
(female)

NancyJones HB User

DLH -

Definitely keep us posted, we are anxious to hear!

Nancy

Old 06-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Get the book Fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain, a survival manual by Devin Starlanyl. It saved my sanity. It covers everything.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #10

Yvonne46746 HB User

I took Effexor for awhile and my doctor was going to switch me to wellbutrin, well instead of weaning me off the effexor he made me quit cold turkey and I had horrible withdrawl from it,, be careful.. I went thru this for a week,, i had tremors,, tunnel vision...etc...
just my opinion on it.. someone else may of not had any problems with it...
Take care!!

Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJones
DLH -

Definitely keep us posted, we are anxious to hear!

Nancy

I got my results from my ultrasound today........... ALL GOOD! Dr is sending me for an upper GI and having some bloos work done ASAP although she thinks it is all going to be OK, she knows I will worry so I think it is really to ease my mind.....fine by me!!!
I am picking up the reccomended books, thanks! Did get some relief yesterday and today hasnt been so bad, at least with the stomach.
thanks again!

Closed Thread