It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
(male)

linkin01 HB User
Antioxidants

A doctor, Ray Strand M.D., wrote a book about the power of antioxidants to cure a lot of conditions, including fibro. He says that oxygen is damaging our cells and can cause, or at least exacerbate, many illnesses. Does anyone have a story about how taking antioxidants (like caretenoid complex, E complex, and grape seed extract) improved their FM?

I'm starting an antioxidant supplement now, the one made by Dr. Andrew Weil.

Mike

Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Antioxidants

Let us know if it helps. I read a research study just this morning that found about 30% of fibro sufferers have chemical markers of oxidative stress in their blood, much more common than in the control group.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
(male)

linkin01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmhar
Let us know if it helps. I read a research study just this morning that found about 30% of fibro sufferers have chemical markers of oxidative stress in their blood, much more common than in the control group.

Best wishes.
Thanks very much for your wishes. I will let you know. I am hopeful.. and that in itself is a valuable thing. I've been struggling with whole body pain since 1993, finally dx FM in 2003. Sad Sad Sad sad sad ...

I also have depression and anxiety. My doctors have not really tried to explain my FM pain since they figure depression and anxiety causes pain. I suspect that there is some other condition exacerbating the pain. Taking B12 made it one heck of a lot better! No doctor ever suggested that! I had to try that on my own. I am also about 80 pounds overweight, and my understanding is that high amounts of visceral fat screw up your hormones. I am now on a weight loss diet and looking forward to improvement in all my symptoms as I get lighter. Even if it does nothing else, losing weight will make me lighter on my feet, and I'll probably have less fatigue. My dream is someday to go skiing again. Right now that is unthinkable, I would die from pain and fatigue before getting halfway down the slope.

Thanks again for your wishes,
Mike

Old 06-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

Don't be sad. There were times I couldn't walk away to save my life. I had chest pains, lower back pains, muscle aches at the joints, headaches and many other fibromyalgia symptoms. But I'm well today. I run nearly 20 miles every week.

Over 10 years ago, I got rid of my mercury fillings. Before that, I started eating healthy and completely stopped eating sweets or drinking alcoholic beverages. I experimented with herbs...with excellent results.

To this day, I'm still experimenting. I sometimes think that when my muscles hurt a little more after running, that maybe I should just agree with that doctor in 1978 who said that I'm too old. But no. There's too much to learn and understand. We must not quit. We must not be sad.

I think it's this way.... If we want something bad enough, we'll do the right thing to get healthy. I believe removing toxins or allergens, and eating right can make a great difference for some of us.

Well last January, I got horrible thumb and forearm pains. I couldn't understand it, for I was doing everything so healthy and it just didn't seem like the pains I had before. To make a long story short, I determined that I got "nintendo thumb" and now it's getting better after 4 weeks of proper treatment. (It was not getting better before because I kept using the arm with pain and ignoring the pain.) Of course, I started increasing eating even better, especially raw carrots and brocolli...and I discovered another thing. These are loaded in antioxidants. This has helped my running improve again, so now I don't feel so old...even though I know that age will eventually slow me down.

I pray this story gives you some hope. There are some of us that beat this thing, even though my doctor told me to not run more than a hundred yards about 28 years ago. It takes lots of work and determination...lots of reading. Please look and see if finding a natural solution like I had done might work for you and others.

Doctors couldn't help me, so I had to find another way. I just couldn't find a doctor that emphasized nutrition nor understood the affect that mercury fillings could have on a person.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

I wanted to add some things about antioxidants. I was never able to isolate and determine what affect that they had on my health. But before I had my mercury fillings removed, I used to drink a spinach and brocolli mixture that I made with my Vitamix food processor.

In those days, I was willing to drink (yuck!) raw green vegetable juice (that I made myself) to get well. But this helped me, so I took it like medicine, rather than like food. I guess I should have mixed carrots with them to make them taste better. I've read that raw foods such as these are very beneficial, and hope that you all have a chance to try this out for yourselves. Have any of you done so, and gotten better also? What I mean, is that have you felt better, even if you weren't completely cured? Or did eating healthy with foods high in fiber, enzymes and antioxidants have no affect at all?

Closed Thread