It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
(female)

lilbear1978 HB User
Unhappy I Am So Lost

Today is the third day of my flare up...I went a whole week with very minor aches and pains...This flare up is so horrible...I haven't slept since saturday...I am seeing things that are not there..I don't know what to do...My dr. gave Tamazepam(sp?) before but it did the reverse effect i was up all night bouncing off the walls...I am hurting from the top of my head all the way to the bottom of my feet...It feels so crampy, achey, burning horrific pain...I just want to sleep and I can't I try and as soon as I lay down the pain intensifies by 100 and I don't know what to do. Please someone any suggestions

Old 06-07-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: I Am So Lost

hi lilbear,
i don't think we have met. welcome. okay, you can't be still. some flares are like that. i just get busy. i garden, paint, walk, anything to keep my mind and body busy. some days i am on my feet the whole day and into the night. laying down is not an option.
i do deep breathing, drink tons of water, and stay busy. not run around crazy busy. nice slow constant busy with tiny breaks.
as for sleep, call your doctor. i used to take long walks in the middle of the night. i live in the country. at first not sleeping really drove me batty. after a year or so of no more than 45 minutes sleep at a time i began to see night as a gift. i would star gaze and listen to the coyotes and night birds. i turned this negative aspect of fibro into a memorable experience. it took 4 years to find out why i did not sleep. now i take ambien and have for maybe 5 years now. i sleep. i do miss the night.
one thing i can tell you is don't get in the cycle of being frustrated and angry about not sleeping. i think i made the experience more difficult by allowing myself to stress out over it.
flares are hard. especially when they are new to you. you will get the hang of it. it will become less scary, less frustrating, and one day the fear will be gone. you will know how to be this new unique you.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

So sorry to hear you are in pain, LilBear. By now you've probably experienced the worst & will soon be on the road away from Flaresville. Our bodies have an amazing capacity to rebound.

Sometimes I think pain itself can cause a stress reaction in our bodies & brains that puts us further on the downward spiral. (This is my life, circling the drain ). BLL has made many helpful suggestions that will help you cope with the stress of pain.

Be proactive about getting some pain relief -- that will also reduce some of the stress. Phone your doc for a different class of med than the one that bombed. Explain your reaction. I always get a partial fill (2 or 3 days worth) of new meds because I metabolize weirdly, have had many adverse drug reactions. I save money with the partial fills.

Have you tried sleep meds like Ambien or Lunesta? Sounds to me like a good sleep would be a nice place for you to start. Maybe you could ask your doc, like the commercial instructs us ...

In the meantime, can you crawl into a tub to soak? (there are times one can't ...) A warm soak w/Epsom salts has given me many a temporary reprieve from the worst of the flares. The magnesium in the Epsom Salts promotes relaxation ... it's a nice thing to do before bed. I also like BaTHerapy salts which have both sulfur & magnesium, other goodies. I've seen them at most dept. stores like KMart, Walmart, Kroger/Fred Meyer. Not a cure, but something that helps a little for an hour or two ...

The best $20 I spent at RiteAid was for a microwaveable "moist heat" pad. The warmth penetrates rapidly & brings temporary relief. The pad stays warm for quite a while, so you can move it around. I make a game of it, try to find the most painful spots & make them feel better. Sort of like Bingo.

Pain that intensifies on lying down can sometimes be reduced with a different pillow (higher/lower/softer/firmer) -- or sleeping on somebody else's bed for a night. Don't ask me why, maybe our bodies get bored ???

Take a multivite & eat nutritious food. It will help, but I know it is hard to cook & impossible to shop when you're in pain. Treat yourself kindly & respect your activity limits right now. That will help you heal.

Best wishes.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I used to have pain like that and I recommend going to a pain management practice with onsite physical therapy. You may have chronic myofascial pain. I know i put this in all my posts, but this book has been so important to my recovery. Many fibromyalgia books don't even cover chronic myofascial pain, which i have but am symptom free. Many people with fibromyalgia don't even know they have cmp. The name of the book is "Fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain, a survival manual" by Devin Starlanyl. It covers everything and answered questions that no one else could. I thought i was losing my mind until i found this book. I hope you feel better soon. Also, I was bed ridden for a few months in the beginning. My mom told me to get up and scrub the floor and not think about it. She didn't understand at all. At that point in my recovery-onset-my husband took over all the chores.

PS. I take flexeril 10 mg and lamictal 200 mg at night to sleep. I take generic Neurontin for the burning sensation, 600mg 5 times a day ordered by my neurologist and then my pain mgmt doctor.

Last edited by rosebuddy; 06-08-2006 at 05:45 AM.

Closed Thread