It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

deenie HB User
Is this fibro or peri-menopause? Shortness of breath, night sweats, light sleep

I am 44 and since having my second child (2 after the age of 40), I am always exhausted. Now I know that having a 2 and 3 yr old is tough but I can never seem to get enough sleep. I was always a light sleeper but even if my mind isn't racing, I never get into a deep sleep and dream a lot too. I would like to get a sleep study but I fear I won't sleep there at all. I don't want to rely on sleep meds but take OTC Benadryl and sometimes Lunesta or Ambien which don't even work well.

Since I became pg with my second child, I really had a hard time sleeping. I would get night sweats while nursing but it still happens at times even though she's been weaned for a year.

I saw a couple of therapists for anxiety but I wonder if it's more than that. I don't take any meds currently. I've had bloodwork and my internist couldn't find anything. I'm in good shape although the only workout I do is chasing after the kids now!

I don't have typical fibro symptoms because I don't have achy muscles but I am very prone to muscle spasms in my back. It happens a lot. I know that can be related to stress too so I've looked at that as well. There have been times over the years that I've had a low grade fever (1 degree or so above my normal 98) that doesn't seem to be related to any illness. It will linger for a few wks. It doesn't happen often but I found it unusual when it does.

I don't know if I'm off base but wondering if it's fibro related at all. What type of Dr. treats and diagnoses this? I don't have much time to go to Drs so I figured I'll see if I'm even in the ballpark online.

Thanks for your info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User
Re: Is this fibro or peri-menopause? Shortness of breath, night sweats, light sleep

Hi deenie, That's the nickname my family calls me. The senior members will be of more help. But I am 40 and started on this journey with swollen lymph nodes, night sweats and low grade fevers. Then had biopsy which was benign thank God. But then then the pain came. I still have night sweats and low grade fevers. Some lymph nodes are slightly swollen. First I was dx with Hashi's. Which is a hypo thyroid. So I am trying to ge that leveled out as well. But I also have fibro but mine has a lot of pain.
I too have young ones a four and six year old boys. So it put a small kink in things.
I hope you don't have fibro. But if you do your in the right place. And life does get better.
Best wishes Deena

Old 06-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Is this fibro or peri-menopause? Shortness of breath, night sweats, light sleep

Hi Deenie,

There aren't any really definitive tests for fibro yet. However, your OBGYN can order blood levels of certain hormones that can give info about perimenopausal status. The tests may have to be done at a certain time of your cycle.

Usually as women enter peri they start to notice a change of pattern in their menstrual cycle, due to the hormonal variations that occur.

Fibro can have an endocrine malfunction component, often thyroid, and the majority of docs only run TSH which does not give the most helpful info. Levels of free thyroid hormones are more revealing.

I hope you can soon get some restful sleep. Tissue repair occurs primarily during deep sleep, when growth hormone is released. Could be that just working on the sleep would help the back spasm problem. Have you considered getting a sleep study done?

Best wishes.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

okay, since i am an oldster i will pop in. sounds like perimenopause to me. i am post meno now. night sweats, tremors, sore breasts, backache, tired, no sex drive. thank heavens it ends! have your hormones checked and there is a hormone your brain produces that sends the message to your ovaries to produce their hormones. be sure to ask for that to be checked too. that one hormone can knock your whole body off. my brain was going batty producing more and more hormone. sending it's message to a now silent ovary. for about 2 years i went back on hormone therapy. estrace. i had a stroke in march and chose to quit hormones as they can bring on strokes. i feel fine. the only thing i notice is loss of elasticity in my skin and dry skin. no more night sweats, no hot flashes, yipeeeee! i am offically a crone! yea!
keep us posted. i too hope you do not have fibromyalgia.
peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread