It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User
Unhappy pain pain go away

i cant deal with the breakthrough pain anymore. its keeping me up at night, i cant sleep it often brings me to terrible bouts of tears and wishing i could scream becaue i hurt so much. my doctor has me on 150mg ultram BID but its not enough, it helps a tad but that is all, my system got use to it super fast i went from 50mg to 150mg within a few months time.

my whole intire body hurts,my legs are affected most, then my back w/ the muscle spasms wich increase the pain, then the rest of my body.

my dr wont give me anything stronger then ultram, my fiance also told me that my dr said that my insurance wont cover anything higher then ultram for me?? im so confused on that part. i want a new dr but fiance is so attached to this one. i been through most of her collegues as well, the only one i loved was fired .

ive taken several types of tylenol and other OTC meds ontop of the ultram to boost it per drs orders and it helped until my body adapted.. i seem to adapt so fast to meds that they stop working after a week. Its like i was just taking sugar pills.

ive been to the er twice this last month for pain and they tell me they are giving me pain meds but they then give me ativan instead to relax my muscles (yeah right like thats gonna work) i jus twant to yank my hair out and let off a huge scream just to get the frustration out!!

what should i do? ive thought about a pm dr but whats the use if nothing is covered. im too anxious to call up medicaid and ask as i often stumble over words and slur and dont hear what bein said to me. People have even hung up on me when i asked them to repeat themselves, its just so frustrating.

I am dx with fibro w/ possible lupus (dx then un dx'd cuz blood went neg and dr stopped testing after that).

plese please help me im at my wits end and need some sleep

Last edited by KittenPaws; 06-09-2006 at 09:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: pain pain go away

good morning kitten,
i am wrapping you in a big soft warm hug that will ease your pain. girlfriend, over the years of having this the only thing i have found that helps with my pain is breath. remember to breath properly. pain mgmt. clinics will teach you alternate methods of coping with huge pain. it's not just about pills. besides there are some good rx pain meds that don't cost that much.
i am sure your fiance believes what is being done now is what's best. ie, your doctor. fiance being attached to the doc is not why you should go there. it's why fiance goes. you must find your own doctor. one you fit well with and trust.
if you feel like screaming, then do it! i have. really loud and really long. know what? it feels good! sometimes you simply have to let the energy out. a good scream does that. i would make sure i was alone and let her rip. once my neighbor came running to see if i was okay. i smiled and said, now i am. giggle.
water, breath, exercise, and psychological therapy helped alot in the beginning. now i rely on breath, exercise, and my attitude to get me thru those rough days.
breathing exercise i do. 3 breaths in thru your nose and out. 3 breaths in thru your nose and out your mouth. 3 breaths in thru your mouth and out your nose. 3 breaths in thru mouth and out of mouth. i do it slowly focusing on expanding my lungs fully. what i discovered is by focusing on the breathing exercise i was no longer fully focused on my pain. our brains are powerful tools. i know that for me my own body helps me the most when i curl up in a tiny ball and wonder what planet i am on.
as for the pain in your legs. walking. i know it sounds stupid, but it works. i started out doing 8 5 minute walks. now i can go for a couple of hours. i swam 2 miles yesterday, danced one hour and did water aerobics for 20 minutes. i am 51.
it took me 2 years to get to this point. i had atrophied from the years of curling up in pain and doing nothing. it was not easy. it is worth it.
please consider giving the pain mgmt gig a try. nothing vetured, nothing gained. i went thru 17 doctors to find the ones who assist me now. i have 7 doctors including my dentist.
do not leave your life and your joy behind you as you journey forward with fibromyalgia.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 06-10-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

ps. dang i did it again. have you tried otc benadryl for sleep? i still take it, along with my ambien (rx) for sleep. when i started having trouble sleeping the benadryl helped alot. then it was not enough so i had a sleep study done and have been on ambien for 5 years without losing any of its wonder.
blue

Old 06-10-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
(female)

kidd123 HB User

Dear Kitten, So sorry to hear of your pain--just wanted you to know that I have been there as I have several autoimmune problems; dx with Fibromyalgia in 95 and just recently with lupus. Please listen to bluelakelady & look to all the natural ways that you can help yourself. Deep breathing exercises have helped me tremendously, but you need to really focus on it and take your time in order for the oxygen to get from your lungs into your bloodstream. Do it at least twice a day, or more if you are under stress.
Also, I have found that magnesium from rice bran really made a difference for me in that it helped tremendously with sleep and it also got rid of my high blood pressure. It is the calming mineral and our bodies need it(& potassium) in order to function. It really calmed down so many of my symptoms that I urge you to look into getting more into your diet. Now I don't even take daily supplements, just eat almonds & other nutrient rich foods every day. If you go to buy magnesium supplements look for ones that can be absorbed into the bloodstream. Mag oxide & hydroxide are in Milk of Magnesia and they cannot be absorbed--they work on the intestines if you are constipated. I liked the natural mag supplement and only took it for a couple of days. It worked THAT well. Hope you feel better soon. Hang in there and keep us posted = )

Last edited by kidd123; 06-10-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

you guys brought tears to my eyes just seein that someone understand. the breathing is calming me maybe ill try to sleep. im soo tired.

BBL i havent tried benadryl yet ithink ill pick some up later today along w/ looking into the magnesium

thank you guys soo much!!

Old 06-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Kittenpaws,

Maybe a new doc would be a good idea. If the pain meds aren't working well, perhaps a fresh, new approach is in order.

I LOVE to take mag at bedtime. It's also good to use as a soak in a warm tub ... put in a few handfuls of Epsom Salts & stay there for 20 min. or so.

Have you looked into endocrine issues, like thyroid, that might be contributing?

Best wishes.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
(female)

kidd123 HB User

That is a great idea--checking the thyroid. I wonder, can the rheumie order bloodwork or is it better to get with an endocrinologist? My next appt with the rheumie is not until Aug. Since I am having a lot of trouble with being either too hot or too cold, I am suspicious that my thyroid might be malfunctioning. Any advice would be helpful...

Old 06-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

im HypoT, been medicated for it for over a year now. TSH was down to 0.35 last testing. Currently on 0.2mg Levothyroxin. No matter what my TSH is i never felt any symptoms to HypoT to begin with... or really any relief to the lowering of TSH levels... lol. Though it prolly adds to it.

I did get some sleep this afternoon finally. Just seems im flaring pretty bad this time i guess.

I'll bring it up to dr that i want my thyroid checked again

Thank you for your kind words, BLL and kidd your words help me so much last night. It helped me remind myself to look at the happier points in my day then to focus on how miserable im feeling. Much huggs.

Peace and Love - GBU

Last edited by KittenPaws; 06-10-2006 at 08:32 PM.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Just getting the TSH is a very huge problem for most people. Actually the Ft4 and Ft3 tests show the actual circulating thyroid hormones.

My sister has fibromyalgia, and they always did the TSH test and they said it was okay everytime. I just found her after 13 years, and made her get the Ft4 and Ft3. Sure enough they are quite low, but of course the TSH is in the so called labrange. So, with my knowledge of thyroid disorders that I have had for 17 years, she is on her road to recovery. Unless she has some hormone resistance going on, that might be a problem for her.

Her symptoms are:

gaining weight and having trouble losing
high cholesterol
depression
ringing in the ears
swollen face hands feet
high bloodpressure
diabetes

It might take awhile for her to feel good, but I have faith she will.

Closed Thread