HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Lumpy Muscles? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/400209-lumpy-muscles.html)

MEmanuel 06-11-2006 10:40 PM

Lumpy Muscles?

Ok I noticed just the past year that sometimes my muscles get lumpy. I'll try to explain.......I want to call them noduels. I have thought of everything to explain them. I thougth it was age, I thought it was this or that, and then I noticed that when I had an episode, that I now know is a flare, they would get worse bigger. This last flare, I finally realized its connected. I wanted to show the DR here recently and they were gone, started a flare and I'm covered with them. In my legs arms, abdomen, ever where there is muscle. I was even wondering if it wasnt my lymph glands acting like jerks. They dont really hurt like the nodes in neck, and under arms. Does anyone know about this? Or experience simular noduel type tubular, elongated in their muscels???? Thanks Michelle

bluelakelady 06-12-2006 05:33 AM

Re: Lumpy Muscles?

hi michelle,
you are just down the road a few hours from me. i go thru stockton to see my daughter in fresno.
i have the same experience. my physical therapist said mine are scar tissue. for years i had flares and my tissue could not heal, ie, those lumps during a flare. those lumps over time became scar tissue. i have a ridge down each side of my spine and a whole coral reef evolving in my ciatic region. it goes from hip to hip almost. please know that i was not proactive in my health care back then. i was a disconnected, scared little rabbit running away from the reality of fibromyalgia and cronic myofacial pain.
it is too late to do anything about these. however massage therapy helps to soothe my inflammed, torn tissue. maybe i will not grow more ridges. who knows? i exercise alot. i am over 50. exercise seems to be my tool for combating flares. long as i stay active, really active, the flares are tiny and short lived. this is huge when i consider that i was in a wheelchair only a decade ago. coming back was hard. those lumpy muscles were shrunken with atrophy. don't stay down. even tho you want to curl up and scream when it hurts. i got so afraid i went into my little hole and hid for a few years. don't do that either. i tried it and it doesn't work.
again, welcome, sister down the road.
peace,
bluelakelady

Chef Elizabeth 06-12-2006 06:56 AM

[QUOTE=MEmanuel]Ok I noticed just the past year that sometimes my muscles get lumpy. I'll try to explain.......I want to call them noduels. I have thought of everything to explain them. I thougth it was age, I thought it was this or that, and then I noticed that when I had an episode, that I now know is a flare, they would get worse bigger. This last flare, I finally realized its connected. I wanted to show the DR here recently and they were gone, started a flare and I'm covered with them. In my legs arms, abdomen, ever where there is muscle. I was even wondering if it wasnt my lymph glands acting like jerks. They dont really hurt like the nodes in neck, and under arms. Does anyone know about this? Or experience simular noduel type tubular, elongated in their muscels???? Thanks Michelle[/QUOTE]
I was told by a massage therapists I went to years ago that those pockets are accumalated latic acid. He said latic acid is produced by the body to give muscles energy to move a lot. But because of our lack of energy, and not being active due to pain and stiffness the latic acid builds up into deep round or long pockets becoming a toxin, causing more pain, stiffness, lack of oxygen and water to move thru the muscles. He would give me a deep muscle massage (it took several for them to break the pockets up) and had me drink lots of water afterward to flush the toxin out of my system, I had never felt so good in my whole life. I wish I could afford to have a regular deep tissue massage again. But it is not covered by insurance, no matter if your doctor says it is what you need. But if you can afford it, I highly recommend it. But know that it will hurt like the dickins for a few times before (and you will think it is not working or will work) it starts feeling wonderful. I know after I recover from losing my job and get back on my feet, that is the first place I'm going!

stick2013 06-12-2006 12:10 PM

I don't know if what you are explaining is the same thing that I have, but it sounds close. I have these small to med. bumps ALL OVER, just under the skin( sort of) They are painful when touched. Almost like fibercystic breast. Mine are everywhere. Sides of breast, abs, runs along rib cage, groin, insides of thighs, up near collar bone. I have asked everyone of my Dr. and NOT one of them can give me an answer. Mine started by the sides of my breast, and then spread to LOTS of areas of my body. They are more painful when I am having a flare, but they never go away either.

Have a great day :)

MEmanuel 06-12-2006 07:38 PM

Thanks BLUE I aggree with you, and CHIEF E I agree with you, and Stick it does feel just like my fibercystic breasts, except they dont hurt, well most of them dont, and they dont get bigger with caffiene, like the breast do. Maybe its a combo of both, and BLUE its nice to know someone is so close wow, but um you guys I wanted to cry to just thinking about a massage. And of course goose bumps, just to imagine it. I already have a small amount of atrophy, and I'm 36. I have been taking DHEA for brainfog and noticed my muscles feel stronger and they are developing again, finally, I dont know why they wouldnt do anything before, I couldnt get them stronger for nonething, and I ended up injurying myself a couple of times with strength training, it was so frustrating. I know now that I went about it the wrong way....we have special needs when exersizing. Man this whole message thing makes me want to cry, but I dont want lactic acid in my muscles either, I happen to already know what that is. So you say it will hurt at first then it will get better? Man, if thats what it is I'm going to hate it. Thanks for the replies and BLUE if you hear a blood curdleing scream from south of you its me trying out a message LOL

septemberwoman 06-13-2006 12:13 AM

I got those lumpies! Some of mine hurt really, really bad--even without touching and some of them just hurt when you try to massage them out. I have been getting them for 25 years now and my husband sometimes forgets and starting kneading them like I do for him when his neck gets tensed up. That hurts BAD! Bless his heart, he is trying to help and I start "ouching"!

Some of mine are definitely lymph nodes swollen--the tender ones. The others feel like they are just under the skin...not in the muscles per se. The ones on my chest seem to roll an inch here to there when they are "goofed" with! ("goofed"--couldn't think of another word--the fog is rolling in!!)

love to everyone...

MEmanuel 06-13-2006 11:10 AM

September that sounds just like mine. Some are under the skin and move and some are deep in the muscle. And by the way the move like an inch like you said. This is so weird it cant be normal.

stick2013 06-13-2006 02:42 PM

Mine move too, and I have asked 3 different Dr's and a nurse practioner, "What are they?' There answers were the same," I don't know." And we have to pay them for their services.... hahahahhaha I get more info here than I do at the Dr. Anyway, mine are spreading more and more over my body, and mine hurt, in a flare, or not in a flare. Just touching them hurts.

Take care

septemberwoman 06-13-2006 03:09 PM

You know I have actually worried about a lymphoma at times since I had a cousin die of non-Hodgkins lymphoma, but seems all the fibromites have these...so...well, there you go!!

(had to edit for spelling)

Jenetti 06-13-2006 08:34 PM

yes i have those too, in fact i had posted a thread but uhm put a silly title to it, but it was the best thing that seemed to fit, it was called knotty arms, lol no wonder no one replied lol. my doctor and my massage lady as well, said its due to fibro. forgot how they both explained it, but its either the muscles or tendons or something that gets hard and starts turning into elongated shreds of tissue, different sizes and shapes, most of them nodules and as bad as 2 inch long peice of straight tissue , all under the skin of course. they are PAINFUL little critters. my massage lady works on them to break them up, but ohhhhh be warned, PAINFUL , and the majority of the time, they come back in the same place, same size, maybe they just moved while she was massaging, then went back into place? ive got them all over my body, so does my mom, we complain alot about them. my mom has fibro as well.

Chef Elizabeth 06-14-2006 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=bluelakelady]hi michelle,
you are just down the road a few hours from me. i go thru stockton to see my daughter in fresno.
i have the same experience. my physical therapist said mine are scar tissue. for years i had flares and my tissue could not heal, ie, those lumps during a flare. those lumps over time became scar tissue. i have a ridge down each side of my spine and a whole coral reef evolving in my ciatic region. it goes from hip to hip almost. please know that i was not proactive in my health care back then. i was a disconnected, scared little rabbit running away from the reality of fibromyalgia and cronic myofacial pain.
it is too late to do anything about these. however massage therapy helps to soothe my inflammed, torn tissue. maybe i will not grow more ridges. who knows? i exercise alot. i am over 50. exercise seems to be my tool for combating flares. long as i stay active, really active, the flares are tiny and short lived. this is huge when i consider that i was in a wheelchair only a decade ago. coming back was hard. those lumpy muscles were shrunken with atrophy. don't stay down. even tho you want to curl up and scream when it hurts. i got so afraid i went into my little hole and hid for a few years. don't do that either. i tried it and it doesn't work.
again, welcome, sister down the road.
peace,
bluelakelady[/QUOTE]
Were they able to see this scar tissue with an MRI or something or do they just feel them and know what it is? I would like to go and find out just where they all are, if they are connected like a ridge and how bad they are. My hips really bother me and feel sort of lumpy but more like you explain with the coral reef thing. Would I need to go to a massage person or a physical therapist?

airmail1997 02-09-2009 06:23 PM

Thanks Fibro Friends, who needs doctors, all we need is google and each others. Finally know what my lumpy muscles are. yeah!!!

SnowBunny89 02-10-2009 02:36 AM

OMG just the other week in my spine it felt like a bump or something but i noticed it was in other places. So this is a Fibro thing?

rosebuddy 02-10-2009 06:31 PM

my lumpy muscles were trigger points....chronic myofascial pain...I was treated with injections and phys ther to release the knots and muscles at a pain mgmt office.

yunamyhero2 04-13-2010 08:08 PM

I know exactly what your talking about! Mine I just call lumps and bumps. I recently looked up "lactic acid" and that didn't really sound right. My Chiropractor suggested that I should look into it. However according to the definitions I found it sounds like you have the bumps a day or so after exercise. Where as mine are 24/7. The bumps under my skin seem to be spreading t o a new muscle every day! It started in my neck but then went to my arms, hands, abs, rib, feet, calfs, thighs, and now my breasts and throat too. They don't necessarily hurt more when someone touches them though. They feel like they're kind of squeezing my bone???? It's hard to explain if anyone gets more information I would really like to know.