It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User
Accupuncture for FM/CMP ?

Hi All,

I know that I have heard alot about accupuncutre for all kinds of pain and a friend of mind's husband just had a treatment for back pain and I believe some numbness he was feeling. So far he seems to be doing well but of course he's just had the one treatment.

I know very little about it exactly but my friend just asked me about my possibly trying it for all my pain. I am sceptical and as I understand it insurance does not cover it. Can someone who has had it, esp if they had it for FM and or CMP tell me about it and if it helped. Also about how much are the treatments are (ballpark figure will do). Also how often do you have to go back for a treatment. Lots of questions on this . Any information anyone can give to me would be very much appreciated.

Blessings,

Granniluvs8

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Thumbs up Re: Accupuncture for FM/CMP ?

Hello there granni,

I had acupuncture a number of times for problems with a very stiff neck and shoulders caused by my work with computer, though this was very long time ago. I found it to be very beneficial. You do need to make sure that the practitioner is registered though. This type of treatment in the wrong hands can do more harm than good, as can any thereapy of this type used in the wrong way of course.

The number of treatments depends on the severity of whichever medical condition you present with. A good practitioner will discuss things with you beforehand and then let you know if they think it is a suitable regime for you to undergo for your problem.

The thing is I am in the UK so giving you a cost for this treatment isn't of any use to you. Having said that I found it was worth the money to me to get some type of relief. My treatment wasn't for fibro at that time, but I honestly think it would be ideal for you to try. It is not a harsh thing to go through, and once you get used to how the practitioner operates, there is no stress to the body and you feel totally relaxed. Worth having a go I feel.

Hope this is of help to you.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 06-12-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User
Re: Accupuncture for FM/CMP ?

hi.....this may or may not help. I do not have fibro but have been a dancer all of my life, am 61, and have used acupuncture successfully to treat severe osteoarthritis of my right hip. I am having hip resurfacing on Ausust 29 and have bone on bone osteo of that hip.....the pain is really bad and I walk with a limp. I have had acupuncture treatments for a year and a half awaiting surgery. The only pain med I have had to resort to is motrin.....it has worked very well. he treats me for stress as well, since pain seems to put the body under tremendous stress when there is no let up.....you have nothing to loose but money and there are no drugs involved unless you care to deleve into Chinese herbs......Karen

Old 06-13-2006, 01:31 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

I went a few times (4). It cost me $120 the first visit and the following ones $80. My insurance does not cover it and I had a hard time feeling good about spending the money. I will say the times I went, I felt better anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes afterwards. I had read that if you aren't getting good results after 4 visits, then it may not be going to work for you. Don't know whether that is right or not, but the expense was more than my fibro nerves could take. So I had to balance out the feelings and came away with stopping. Someday if I have extra money to spend then maybe I will try it again.

Hello legallyblonded--I am a Karen also!

Hi Goldenwings! I DID feel VERY relaxed while it was going on--fell asleep. The guy I saw was an MD as well as accupuncurist (where is my spellcheck?) He said a lot of his patients fall asleep. Also some of the places hurt when the needles went in and some didn't. Some bled, some didn't.

Last edited by septemberwoman; 06-13-2006 at 01:37 AM.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User

Thanks to all who replied. Any more replies are also welcomed. I am just in the process of trying to figure out what to with meds and such. This may an altermative later on, depending on the cost for me. Although it probably would be worth it in the end if the procedure actually works.

Blessings,

Granniluvs8

Closed Thread