It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User
Exclamation Fogging up the mirrors

Over the past couple of weeks I have had trouble even speaking! Went to the Sonic for a burger and had to say my order over and over because it wasn't coming out right. The guy inside thought I was being funny. I didn't find it too amusing but I did manage to laugh with him and tell him "sorry". I hope this is FM Fog!! I hate to think of what else it could be. I seem to be able to put sentences together tonight (morning) at 2:20 a.m. Maybe I am at my best in the middle of the night. Now if everyone else would just wake up!!!

Old 06-14-2006, 07:30 AM   #2
(female)

Chef Elizabeth HB User
Re: Fogging up the mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by septemberwoman
Over the past couple of weeks I have had trouble even speaking! Went to the Sonic for a burger and had to say my order over and over because it wasn't coming out right. The guy inside thought I was being funny. I didn't find it too amusing but I did manage to laugh with him and tell him "sorry". I hope this is FM Fog!! I hate to think of what else it could be. I seem to be able to put sentences together tonight (morning) at 2:20 a.m. Maybe I am at my best in the middle of the night. Now if everyone else would just wake up!!!
Especially during a flare the brain fogs are the worst for me. Sometimes I feel like a studdering idiot, not able to put a whole sentence out there. Here is a good one, how about when someone is talking to you but you're not comprehending it all and just stand there staring at them trying to put together what they were trying to tell you??? So far that doesn't happen alot right now, or the next thing I might see are men in white coats coming after me.
All kidding aside, it was because of the brain fogs that I had to give a career in 911 that I just loved. But now I'm doing the next best thing I love, cooking so I can't complain too much.
I hope your fogs are far and few between, that your FM doesn't progress to quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

My hands are starting to fail me now. I am 50 this September, but my hands think they are 20 years older. I am getting my grandmother's disabiling osteo arthritis. I think this is espcially bothersome along with the fog since it makes me seem much older and senile than I am. Not that THE fog makes any of us look particularly young and fresh...har, har.....

Seriously though, in the 26 years of FM I have never had such a battle for my brain to behave. I have started a supplement of magnesium at bedtime to try to aid 3 things: my foggy condition, slow bowels and as a sleep aid. I get my calcium in dairy and leafy greens each day, but not much magnesium. Therefore I will let ya'll know if I am just blowin smoke!!

I slept with my winter gloves on last night and it helped my hands bunches!! Looked a little on the crazy side, but it really prevented the "lock up".

Old 06-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Oh the fog, my favarite place to be lately. I know I am under some stress lately with my hubby being sick and in the hospital but.....come on! Yesterday I got a little salad and drink from the hospital cafe and the bill was $2.46 and I gave the cashier $5.04! Why I added the four pennies I will never know, she was so nice and said, "ok then here is the change part" then I started to walk away and she said, "you didn't get your dollars." I just turned around and said oh yes and mumbled some sort of thank you. I was very embarressed that I would be so foggy as not even pay attention to what kind of of money I was giving her and not know what I should get back. Thank goodness for honest and thoughtful people. She could have said what the heck is the four pennies for, do you know you came at the end of a busy lunch rush and your lucky I am on the ball.

Oh the fog sometimes I wonder how I get through it!

Glojer

Old 06-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

oh yes fibro fog, my almost constant companion. I had to give up a very lucrative antique and gift shop business because of it. Sure part of the reason was the fatigue but the other reason was when clients would ask about a particular item such as a peice of dish (antique) and i couldnt even remember the name of the line or the age of it, made me look like i was incompetant, like i didnt know what i was doing and had no business selling antiques. thing is i knew every dish, year, history, paintings, furniture, history, line, you name it. i enjoyed the history part and giving them the history of the peice they were buying. i also find it hard to listen to a long story, by the time they finish i forget the first part. i say things like put the towels in the fridge, and hubby says what?? then i'll repeat it the right way. but i swear im telling him to put them in the pantry, but the words i use dont go with what im saying

Old 06-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

You know another one of the frightening things is that it SO imitates Alzheimers. I lived with and helped take care of my father in law for one year. He had stage 4, so he was much farther gone than we "look" like, but his earlier years--well, sometimes I have remind myself that I have been this CONSTANT way for over 26 years. I am now almost 50 (in September). I fear some of the older ones with FM actually have A and go undxed. It is the recent memory that A takes, then works it's way backward--89 yr, then 75, 65, 50, 30, 20 12, 6, 3, ....etc. stealing your memories. Eventually you end up 0 with no functions at all. What a terrible thing! Makes me thankful for my fibro fog.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
(female)

nmamommy HB User

I used to hate how everyone laughed at me because of the 'fog'. I know most people don't believe it is the cause of my forgetfullness. But now I just laugh with them and go along and blame it on the fact I have 3 kids and too much on my mind. For some reason people are a lot more comfortable with that. But it is scary!
Maria

Old 06-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

i know what you mean about people laughing at us, used to bother the heck outta me till i started finding humour in the things i did or said as well, trust me that has helped me alot now go thru it. my hubby takes so very good care of me, treats me like a queen, and so on, helps me out with the fibro things. but he has a ball with me, hes always laughing, finds it a blast to live with me, says he never knows what i'll come up with next or say. sometimes we have to find humour in painful things just to get thru them, and now, he doesnt laugh at me, we laugh together.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

My husband and I have running jokes--like when I said "this or that" and the levity is great especially after someone looks at you like you are on drugs. Of course...I AM on drugs...well.........uh? Pain DRUGS!! But, honestly I don't have ANY side effects from them anymore so I can't blame them. When I told my husband about the fast food kid's comments and actions, we both started laughing and had to admit if it were us it would be hard not to laugh. Each night when we snuggle I try to remember all the goofy things I did and he tells me all about his day. It is our "laugh out loud and squeeze harder time of day." He says I am cute in the fog with my giant snow mittens on in bed. I'll take that!

Closed Thread