It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 01:36 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User
Muscle Relaxers?

How many of you take muscle relaxers? And if so what kind has helped for you?

I get soo stiff that its hard to do anything comfortably. Even my jaw does it (might have TMJ looking for a dentist). I went through a week last week of barely no sleep, tons of pain and then ended up with stiff back/legs/arms/jaw/etc too ! I stole one of my fiance's Fexeril's 10mg and it helped me and i slept that night (since then all i can do is sleep....i love the up and down of fibro ). Im really thinking of asking for an Rx to take off an on when i need it, but i need to do my research before bringing up the question to my dr the 26th.

Also does it mess anything up with organs, as they are muscles?

Thanks a lot

Huggs and prayers to you all.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Muscle Relaxers?

Hi Kitten Paws, I love your name.

I am stiff in the mornings sometimes but it fades in about an hour. I do take flexeril at night to help me sleep. I haven't tried it for muscle pain. I have chronic myofascial pain that is chains of knots in muscles. They come and go. I have myofascial release with physical therapy, chiropractic visits, and injections by my pain mgmt doctor that makes the fascia release. Right now i have active trigger points (knots) that hurt in my buttocks and am making an appointment to see my pain mgmt doctor today.

TMJ is common in fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain.

I haven't had any side effects from the flexeril. Do the research though; that is a great idea. I will too.

I hope that you are feeling better soon. Take care and keep the faith. Seek out successful medical care. You don't have to suffer. I have been in remission for months now except for this morning when i woke up stiff and achey all over. I took a percocet and went for a walk. Now I am going to do my balance ball routine which I love. It is a tape by Giaim.

As always, I recommend the book Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain, A survival manual by Devin Starlanyl. It saved my sanity and helped me to get the treatment i needed. It covers everything.

Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

wow i have that book! i just havent read it yet hehe, im still reading my other fibro book right now by Claudia Craig Marek called Fibromyalgia - the first year.

Ive been trying not to suffer, but its so hard when the best GP ive found ignores me! LOL . Oh well its the best doctor in my city so itll have to do. I'm currently doing a diary of my symptoms so i can show her that im not a hypochondriac when it comes to my constant complaining about pain. (though we do feel like it dont we..)

I get stiff ALL DAY just want to punch something but BLL's dancing sounded soo good im in the mood for that lately. I love reading this forum hehe.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:12 AM   #4
(female)

nmamommy HB User

Hi,
I have been taking Soma (a muscle relaxer)for a few years now. I don't know how I'd get thru a day without it right now. I have pretty bad pain and have to do a pretty physical job (I'm a single, stay at home mom of 3 ages 9, 7 and 4). Sometimes I think the Soma works better then the pain meds. The only side effect is drowsiness. I'm supposed to take 4 a day, but I only take half a pill in the morning. Otherwise, I don't find the drowsiness a problem. Doing research on a med before taking it is always a good idea, but don't ever be afraid to ask your doc for something you think will help. The worst that can happen is they will say no . Also, talk to your pharmacist about any meds you want info on. They seem to be a much more forthcoming and knowledgeable base of info!
Maria

Old 06-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Take care with driving, etc. if the muscle relaxers give you a hangover ... that's a big prob for me.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Soma here too, works wonderfully for me. ive tried other muscle relaxers and phftt, it was like taking candy. soma plus lortab is the right combination for me, i take both of them together and it works wonders , now it doesnt make me pain free, but does take the "edge" off, otherwise im afraid painwise, id be sitting in a dark room crying my eyes out if i didnt have the soma.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

soma............for years. I too have a physical job so by the time I get home I am so happy I have it to relax me. not everyday, that sounded bad! But they can cause that "morning" after affect, elmhar is right there. and remember that all meds affect all of us differently! Definatly do some reading and make sure what ever you get wont interfere with what ever you already take!

Last edited by dlh; 06-15-2006 at 03:17 PM.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
(female)

kaydee55 HB User
Unhappy Re: Muscle Relaxers?

Hi everyone...
I am going through a confusing time. My regular doc sent me to a phasiatrist(?). He said that there was no such thing as Fibro and all the other things I have. He said I have bursitis in the hips and I am going through PT. As of right now I have missed 6 days of work due to my muscles in my thigh and my knee(right) is all screwed up! I am in so much pain that sometimes it is hard to work. I work in a mill with alot of standing and climbing ladders. Now my HR lady is saying I will lose my job because of my restrictions. I was doing okay till I went to this doc and PT. I am so confused as I have had this job for 33 years. I only need 4 more years before I can retire at 55. I even printed out a list with all the symptoms and he didn't want any part in it! Help!!! I even was on muscle relaxers and they did not work!
Karen

Last edited by kaydee55; 06-15-2006 at 08:55 PM.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

im so sorry youre hurting so much hon, and to have someone who is suppose to help you deny that is sometimes worse than the physical pain. id like to tell you what BLUELAKELADY tells us, FIRE THAT DOCTOR, and look for another one. this one doesnt know a thing about fibro, that is quite obvious and you will not change his mind if he is so set against it. Fibro is real, very real and many many doctors are finally realizing that. Your pain is real, your problems are real, theyre not in your mind, that makes me so frikin angry that he would say that and then send you to a psychiatrist. Hes an idiot, find yourself another doctor quickly. Interview HIM/HER , ask if he treats fibro , if you dont want to have to see and pay someone, call his office and ask the head nurse if the doctor treats patients with fibro. If they say no, cross him out and go on to the next. Find out if there is a fibro clinic (now sprouting up in places), and go there. Find out if there are support groups, call the hospitals, sometimes there are groups for people with arthritis, diabeties,, find out if they have one for fibro.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

i take soma too. man does it make me feel good. also at night somtimes i take Zanaflex. it really puts you to sleep let me tell you.
i think that muscle relaxers are good for us.
you should ask for something.
robin

Old 06-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

i take soma too. man does it make me feel good. also at night somtimes i take Zanaflex. it really puts you to sleep let me tell you.
i think that muscle relaxers are good for us.
you should ask for something.
robin

Old 06-17-2006, 04:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

It may help to see a psychiatrist. If you have depression/anxiety. I have one and also a counselor that helped me work through the loss of my health as i once knew it and i still see her once a week. Also, if you plan to file for ssd, having a psych diagnosis and dr. notes will help you get it. It is very difficult to get it for fibromyalgia. I got it on the first try.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #13
(female)

meeeeelee HB User
Smile Re: Muscle Relaxers?

My doctor gives me Zanaflex, it makes me sleep a few hours undisturbed. I dont take them during the day tho. I need a good one I can take and still work with.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #14

Nightmyst HB User

I got my disability 10 years ago with a DX. of fibromyalgia. (I'm 53 now) The doctor who told you it wasn't real needs to do some more researce and updates, and you need to get another doctor! Good luck to you...

Old 07-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

As far as muscle relaxers go, I take baclofen 10mgs in the morning and 10mgs at night. I like it and have no problems with it like I did tizanidine which effected my liver after a few years.

Kaydee55. Check with an attorney and then tell that HR person that you are being discriminated against because of age and disability. That should get them to back off. It is called.......Oh poop, I'm having a brain fog moment......someone help me out here!!!!! The law where you can't be dicriminated against because of age or disability it even protects pregnant women so they can't be fired because they get pregnant or they can't take their job away from them while they are on maternity leave. All I can think of is the ADA (americans with disabilites act).

Anyway Kaydee it helped me when my old job tried to get rid of me and brother when I said that they started singing a new tune. I left that job on my terms not theirs. I think the age thing will help you most, I was probably 54 or 55 when I had the problem. Also FIRE THAT DOC, truly there are better docs out there who can treat you properly and will help you with the proper documentation or paperwork necessary to keep your job. There really is a disease called fibromyalgia and it is not in our heads.

Closed Thread