It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
(female)

Heather_Brennan HB User
another diagnosis

I have been diagnosed with fibro for about a year now. I recently switched doctors because the dr I was seeing wasn't helping me and she just kept prescribing me high levels of antidepressants which made me think that she just thought I was crazy. My new doctor immediately ordered testing including a full blood work up and an MRI scan of my brain. That was a few days ago. So far they have found out that my thyroid levels are really low and that i am really anemic. She started me on a synthetic hormone for the thyroid and an iron supplement. I am already taking ultram and 800 mg iproprion for pain. In addition to all of this she prescribed me elavil to help me sleep at night. The elavil works wonderfully. The ultram and iproprion dont seem to do too much. I wish there was something stronger I could get for the pain. My mornings have been awful. I liteally feel paralyzed from the waist down in the morning. I cant sit up or even turn over for almost 2 hours. My arms are so heavy that I cant lift them. Each day its getting scarier because I keep thinking that something is going to happen and I wont be able to get up at all. Then I start worrying that maybe there is something else wrong. I have read up alot on fibro and I havent read much about morning stiffness lasting 2 hours or many of my other symptoms. Does anyone else have this problem in the morning? I have been in pain like this since october. The only time I felt well enough to do anything was when the dr prescribed me vicodin. She only gave me 20, but those 20 days I felt well enough to lead a normal life.I really can't live like this anymore, but what am I going to do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: another diagnosis

My a.m. stiffness doesn't last long. Have you tried a pain management clinic? I receive myofascial release through injections and physical therapy. I also am prescribed percocet and neurontin. The neurontin is for burning sensations I get on my skin. The percocet helps a lot. It is easier to get pain meds from pain mgmt drs. Most other doctors are paranoid about giving them out. You also have to be careful because you can build up a tolerance to them and become dependent on them.

You sound like you need pain meds to me. A lot of people on this board are against them and some are for them so you just have to weigh the pros and cons. I became addicted and had to deal with all that, but if i had to do it over i would have still taken them. i was just in too much pain.

Ihope you feel better soon.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

Heather_Brennan HB User

I wish they would give me pain killers. I did go to a pain clinic ( I wrote about it in another topic where someone was asking about pain clinics recently). They wouldnt give me pain medicine because of my age (I am 23), and they think I would end up being addicted. At this point I dont care if I can become addicted, I am in so much pain. My new dr gave me ultram and iproprion and it doesnt do much at all, and I called in last week to ask about getting something stronger and they wouldnt. I dont know what to do to convince them.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Heather,

Low thyroid can be responsible for much of the pain that is experienced in fibro. It takes about 6 weeks for the meds to kick in fully; you have to be patient. Then do get your labs redone regularly. Often the initial dose prescribed is not the long-term dose.

There are a couple of us on this board who have hypoT with fibro. When my free hormone levels (free T3, free T4) are low, my pain is greatly increased. Finding a doc who will do the free hormone tests, rather than just relying on the standard TSH test is important for fibro sufferers. TSH is a messenger hormone from the pituitary, and it's not uncommon for people w/fibro to have glitched pituitaries. The free hormones are the ones that "do the business," so keeping them optimized is where it's at for pain relief. Thyroid hormone suppresses Substance P, a chemical in our bodies that amplifies pain signals.

I've found that exposure to chemicals that inhibit thyroid function, like fluoride & chlorine, brings on very painful flares for me within an hour. If you are able to observe & find triggers for your fibro (not everyone has triggers) it is a blessing, because it is something you can control.

I'm not saying you won't ever need a pain clinic, or narcotic meds, but I do hope you will give the thyroid meds a chance.

I'm sure your doc told you this, but iron supplements need to be taken 4 hrs. apart from your T meds.

Best wishes.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

man heather that sucks that you can't get anything stronger for pain. i am 30 and was 24 when all this started happening and i have been able to get the pain meds i need. i think its all about finding the right doctor. alot of us have been through so many before we found one that understands what we are going through. i have gone to 2 different pain mangnmt docs before i found one that understands the pain i am in and does not hassle me, thank goodness.
i am sorry you have to go through this because i know how you feel.
take care,
robin

Old 06-22-2006, 04:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Try another pain clinic.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
(female)

Heather_Brennan HB User

The closest pain clinic to me is 2 hours away, other than that I am looking at a 3 hr drive there and 3 hour drive back which is impossible for me to do. My new family doctor is doing wonderful things for me. In one month of seeing her she has found that i am hypothyroidic and i have a huge polyp in my sinuses. I still have some test to come back and an MRI scan of my brain to come back. I'm still hurting but at least I know that I am not crazy now!

Closed Thread