It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

june789 HB User
fibromyalgia without sleeping problem?

Hello~
I'm just wondering if you can have fibromyalgia without sleep problem?
I understand that major symptom with fibromyalgia is sleep disorder, and if you can sleep well, pain can be reduced.

I'm diagnosed with a variant of fibromyalgia, and I don't have any sleeping problem. I can sleep good 7 hours without any problem, but that doesn't help with may of body aches.
I'm curious to know if one can have fibromyalgia without sleeping problem.

june

Old 06-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Re: fibromyalgia without sleeping problem?

hi hon, sorry to hear youre having problems with pain. trust me , we understand thoroughly how that can upset ones life.
i really dont know if you can have fibro without sleep problems. Im not sure if ive read anything about that, but it is a symptom and i know that different people with fibromyagia suffer from different but not necessarily every symptom, tho not everyone is that lucky. I know that IBS is a symptom of fibro but i dont usually have problems in that area, but oh wow, do i suffer great pain and other symptoms horribly. so i dont see why someone with fibro couldnt still have fibro just because they dont suffer from sleep problems, tho that is a major major symptom of it.
maybe someone else will have the answer to this, and again im so sorry youre suffering, ive had fibro since my late teens and im going to be 52 in july. tho it wasnt diagnosed AS fibro till about 7 yrs ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
(female)

june789 HB User

thank you for the reply and kind heart
I was told at the pain clinic that they may able to tell me exactly what I have in 10 years or so after they categorize the fibromyalgia.
but i haven't mat anyone with fibromyalgia without out any sort of sleeping problem, so I got curious if one can be properly dioagnosed to fibro without sleeping problem.

^^

Old 07-04-2006, 07:02 AM   #4
(female)

Emmabean HB User

I had all the symptoms but I didn't recognize any sleeping problems for about three years of having fibromyalgia. I slept just fine. Sleeping made me feel better! I had sooo much more energy and just had awful pain, muscle knots, etc. Looking back, though, there could have been something going on with my restorative stage of sleep, and since I didn't treat it, my condition got worse. You may just not realize what's going on in your sleep cycle!

Old 07-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
(female)

june789 HB User

Dear emmabean

thanks for the reply~
after reading your reply, I got few questions.
did you eventually figure out what was wrong with your sleep cycle after three years?
I assume that you were sleeping fine, but somehow your sleep cycle wasn't fine. how did you figure out what was wrong?

I don't want my pain to get worst and I am trying to find and understand what I have better.

thank you

Old 07-06-2006, 08:19 PM   #6
(female)

Emmabean HB User

June,
Although I didn't know I was experiencing a problem with sleep for those three years, I may actually have been. When diagnosed, I had widespread pain, pain in trigger points, but not as much achiness or fatigue. I had been recovering from a spinal surgery and was in tons of pain, but slept just fine. As time passed, the pain, achiness, and fatigue became worse throughout the day. At night, it took a little bit longer to relax just because my muscles were so tense.
After reading more about fibromyalgia, I learned about the stages of sleep. I realized that my muscles were tired and in pain, yet I must not have been reaching the deepest stage of sleep, which is the restorative stage. That stage is the one that allows our body and brain to heal and restore itself to a refreshed state. Little by little, I began to wake up just as tired as I was when I went to bed. Now, even though I fall asleep fine and I don't have a problem staying asleep, I realize that somehow my brain is not entering into that deep sleep.
Currently I can not take much medication due to the fact that I'm breastfeeding my baby. However, previously I took a muscle relaxer at bedtime (Cyclobenzaprine, generic for Flexeril). I woke up feeling much more refreshed. It might be possible that I needed that med to help my body enter that stage of sleep- not sure. Some people take other sleep aids.

Now I am trying to do what I can to get the best rest possible. We have a new mattress, a memory foam pillow, aromatic lotion for bedtime, a dark room, a bath before bed, etc. Even though I seem to sleep fine, I'm trying to allow my brain to fix my body while I'm sleeping! (It's not working, though, because I have a hungry little 8 month old!)
Does that make sense, June? Let me know!

Old 07-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #7
(female)

Sue2 HB User

i received a head injury which brought on fibromyalgia and nerve damage.
i suffer intense burning throughout my body and muscle spasms around the
clock, my doctor doesnt want to know me and i see a physchiatrist who
is much the same. i dont know what to do and am suicidal. its been 10 months and i am no further ahead. i take 2mg of valium at night for the
muscle spasms is there anyone who can relate to these problems or has
advice on medications.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Sue,

So sorry to hear about all you are going through. Have you been tried on any of the antidepressant meds? A certain proportion of fibro sufferers have substantial, or significant relief from tricyclics or SSNRIs.

Benzodiazapines like Valium help some of us with muscle spasms, but many do better with muscle relaxants. That's another med category to try.

But I am wondering, with the sudden onset post-trauma -- have you been referred to a neurologist? Neurologists have their own tests, and their own battery of meds for dealing with pain, things that general practitioners & psychiatrists don't regularly prescribe. Neurologists can help sort out what is peripheral pain, what is central, and that can make a difference in finding treatments that work.

Best wishes to you, and please let us know what happens.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #9
(female)

Sue2 HB User

thanks for replying. i am unfortunately not computer litterate. i have had
the neurology tests which showed nothing but was told the burning is
nerve ends. i am seeing the phychiatrist this weekend and will try to get him to commit. i thought i should try zoloft as i am not on any antidepressant.
thankyou for replying i have very limited contact these days.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #10
(female)

june789 HB User

Dear sue

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through such a hard time.
one thing I want to ask you is that if your doctor look into if you could have RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy ) instead of having fibromylagia.
it seems like some symptoms like burning pain and spasms overlap between two diseases, yet with RSD, it seems like one requires more intese physical therapy and other injection therapies.
My symptoms also began with really bad burning pains and first my doctor told me I might have RSD, but later as symtoms changed, they say I have fibromylagia. The burning pains is less now or learned to tolerate more, but I can tell you that whenever I get burning pain, I try to apply different sensory imput, somthing like ice, or rubbing with hair brush on the skin or anything else you can think of that may distract you from burning pain.

I hope you get better soon

june

Last edited by june789; 07-17-2006 at 12:53 PM.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:00 AM   #11
(female)

Sue2 HB User

to June,
thanks for reply, I will ask my doc about RSD. Iwill also look it up on the
net. I see my doc next week.which he will just love im sure. He hates the
site of me. are you on any meds?thanks, sue2

Old 07-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #12
(female)

june789 HB User

Hi~ sue

as for RSD, although you have pretty bad burning pain if you don't have pain upon touch or light breeze over the skin, it may not likely to be RSD. but it doesn't hurt to ask and all the info you need.

If you are not happy with your dr. I suggest that you change your doctor, I changed dr. three times and went to a pain clinic.

I take tramadol for pain, I tried different kinds, gabapentin, effexor,elavil etc, but only thing that works is tramadol, even this doesn't completely get rid of pain and only works for couple hours or so, but helps me a lot.

take care~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue2
to June,
thanks for reply, I will ask my doc about RSD. Iwill also look it up on the
net. I see my doc next week.which he will just love im sure. He hates the
site of me. are you on any meds?thanks, sue2

Old 07-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Sue, ask your doctor if lyrica would be of use to you. its an antiseizure medication, but is being used for many other types of pain. its also used for fibromyalgia and for people who have nerve damage, burning. i have alot of burning due to the fibro and the lyrica seems to be helping with that.
Jen

Old 07-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #14
(female)

Sue2 HB User

dear June, thanks for reply,
I am Lyrica which helps during the day from a pain clinic. my thighs feel
like they have been hit by a sledge hammer which makes sleep impossible
but feel better being a part of a support group. Went shopping leaning on
the trolley all the way. Iwill look about changing doc, but over here no
one knows about this and you are treated as mad. oh well.

regards sue2.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #15
(female)

Sue2 HB User

To Janetti,
Thanks for your reply, I am on 75mg of Lyrica and it definaltey helps
except I need a bigger dosage and over here in Perth Australia no one
knows anything about these type symptoms I am generally treated as
being mad. Can a normal gp prescribe?
regards sue2

Closed Thread