It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #1
(female)

Jennio HB User
Question Guiefenesin diet

Has anyone tried the guiefenesin diet? My doctor suggested it and said it is helpful for fibro when strictly followed. From what I have read, the diet seems so strict. You have to avoid so many things in addition to taking the supplements! So, naturally, I am worried about being able to adhere to it. And I am wondering if it will even be worth the effort. Does the diet work? Does it bring pain relief?

I would love to hear about your experiences or any information you have to share. Thank you!

Old 07-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
Re: Guiefenesin diet

There was a report on one of the Fibro sites that a study was done and it had little effect on relieving Fibro symptons. Though some people claim it works. So who knows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Jennio,

I've read studies that cast doubt on the guiafenesin protocol, but have also read many testimonials from people who have been helped by it. One thing that troubles me about the testimonials is that while a few people seem to be helped immediately by guai, most stay on it for years, having ups & downs (like the rest of us?). So, it's hard to tell what effect is due to the guai, and how different it is from a flare/remit fibro pattern.

Guaifenesin, all by itself, was an ethnic medicine used in times past for rheumatism -- muscle & joint pain -- as well as for coughs. Guai does have some natural pain-relieving potential, even without the salicylate-avoidance diet.

There are people who are sensitive to salicylates, don't process them well. Not all have fibro, but, IMO, some who are salicylate-sensitive w/fibro, may improve on that particular diet. The guai may provide a little pain relief as well.

There's no one treatment that works for everyone with fibro, because it's a diagnosis of a symptom cluster that can have many different causes. If your cause turns out to be salicylate-sensitivity, then the fibro certainly may respond to reducing that trigger.

For me, fluoride & chlorine are potent triggers for fibro flares. Some exposure I can control, and it's been a blessing to me to figure that one out.

If you want to try the guai protocol, give it a whirl. It's not that expensive. But you may want to decide at what point to bail, to move on to something else, if it doesn't bring relief.

Best wishes.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

I'm not sure what the doctor has told you about the guafenesin diet. There are actually two different protocols that patients go through when they are on Guafenesin. The guafenesin helps your body to eliminate metabolic sloughing that takes place in fibro patients. Then there is a diet that some patients are put on when they also have hypoglycemia. Many fibro sufferers suffer from hypoglycemia. This diet is low-carb/no sugar. If you have hypoglycemia, the low-carb diet helps tremendously with your fatigue and will improve your overall stamina a great deal. I am on this diet, and the results were incredible. Within 6 weeks, I had more energy.

For me, taking guafenesin and taking the steps to eat low-carb has been a life-saver. The diet is hard at first, but then it becomes second nature. You also learn what lines you can cross in your eating so the diet does not become so restrictive. Some hypoglycemic patients are very sensitive to the carbs, and some are not.

Just an explanation as to what happens when you have hypoglycemia. When you eat something high-carb/sugar, it spikes your blood sugar very high, then it comes down very fast. Your body responds to the plunge by sending in adreneline. The adreneline makes you shaky, gives you headaches, you feel fearful and edgy. Your body also responds to the crash with extreme fatigue. So if you are eating all day in an appropriate manner, you will always fell tired. I'm talking bone-weary, flat on your back exhaustion (I always felt like the walking dead). Advanced cases of this will also cause IBS symptoms.

If your doctor has recommended the diet, along with the guafenesin, it would be good to try it. He has your best interests at heart.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Closed Thread