It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

june789 HB User
Has anybody experienced aggravated pain level?

another question

Like everybody else, my major symptoms are the flue like body ache, stiffness in the morning, muscle knots, sensitivity to pressure and noise, and burning and nerve pain on the area originally I injured myself.

However, beside having these kinds of symptoms, I have noticed my body registering pain at higher amplitude more than it should be.

Has anybody experienced aggravated pain level?

For example, pain from any skin cut or splint is more than it used to feel like before the fibro and the pains lasts for few weeks.
Also back in december, I began having root canal for one of my tooth, and I had hard time getting rid of the pain and had local anesthetic for 4 time over the period of 3 months. on the last visit finishing up the root canal, I had same anesthetic sensation on the same area when anesthetic wasn't done. my dentist didn't understand what was going on. It eventally went away, but it was something that wasn't supposed to happen and somehow my body was reacting to external pressure.

It feels as all the pain recepters and sensory receptors are hypersensitive and reacting abnormally beside having background pain level.
I was wondering if this is a common symptom.

thank you for reading~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User
Re: Has anybody experienced aggravated pain level?

Ohhhh, yes. Completely. Things that used to not hurt me very bad hurt me to the point of tears anymore. Paper cuts make my eyes well with tears and bruises hurt worse and longer. Little scrapes burn for ages. When I get hit or run into stuff (I am dizzy a lot and run into things a lot), the pain lasts so long. When a finger gets bent back or a toe gets stubbed, it feels like it's broken. (I've had broken fingers, I know how bad it is) I definitely notice a huge difference over the past few years . . .

And I've read quite a bit of research over the stuff too. Researchers think that our body makes too much of the chemical that regulates pain and therefore, our pain is amplified. It's just research though. Sounds good however.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Oh my goodness...I am not alone? I run into the edge of a wall with the snap of a two fingers. On vacation my brother who lives a distance away had not seen my bouts with fibro, witnessed the clumsy stumbling, running into something, etc.... Explain, explain, explain...doesn't that drive you crazy? I hit my ankle into the edge of a bed and thought that I had bruised my ankle much worse then it was. The pain took forever to go away. I came up with blister like areas in my mouth, but when I got home...they went away. Not sure what that was. Gum problems, yup, teeth even sometimes hurt. Migraines...now, not before.

Ooppppppps getting carried away. You are not alone. I wish someone would come up with something that were not alone with sharing the good news ( ; Have a great weekend and wishing for a pain free one.
Annie

Old 07-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
(female)

Chef Elizabeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishn
Oh my goodness...I am not alone? I run into the edge of a wall with the snap of a two fingers. On vacation my brother who lives a distance away had not seen my bouts with fibro, witnessed the clumsy stumbling, running into something, etc.... Explain, explain, explain...doesn't that drive you crazy? I hit my ankle into the edge of a bed and thought that I had bruised my ankle much worse then it was. The pain took forever to go away. I came up with blister like areas in my mouth, but when I got home...they went away. Not sure what that was. Gum problems, yup, teeth even sometimes hurt. Migraines...now, not before.

Ooppppppps getting carried away. You are not alone. I wish someone would come up with something that were not alone with sharing the good news ( ; Have a great weekend and wishing for a pain free one.
Annie
Being clumsy and running into to stuff or falling is a symptom of FM? I do that all the time and it is becoming more and more pronounced. Yes my pain feels worse when I bruise, get papercuts or scrapes, also burns (I'm a chef).

Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
(female)

Chef Elizabeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsGirl4ever06
Ohhhh, yes. Completely. Things that used to not hurt me very bad hurt me to the point of tears anymore. Paper cuts make my eyes well with tears and bruises hurt worse and longer. Little scrapes burn for ages. When I get hit or run into stuff (I am dizzy a lot and run into things a lot), the pain lasts so long. When a finger gets bent back or a toe gets stubbed, it feels like it's broken. (I've had broken fingers, I know how bad it is) I definitely notice a huge difference over the past few years . . .

And I've read quite a bit of research over the stuff too. Researchers think that our body makes too much of the chemical that regulates pain and therefore, our pain is amplified. It's just research though. Sounds good however.
What is the chemical? Can we decrease it with something?

Old 07-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

The chemicals are cytokines. I don't know much about it all. I just read a bit about it.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis

Old 07-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

There's been a lot of research on Substance P & fibro. Substance P is a particular type of cytokine, technically a tachykinin (subset of cytokine family), widely distributed throughout the body, particularly in the brain, the gut, and the synovium of joints. Substance P, in one study, was found to be significantly elevated in 80% of people with fibro symptoms. It thus gets very intriguing for us.

SP functions as a neurotransmitter in the sensory neurons of the spinal cord. It amplifies pain signals. The more SP ya have, the more pain ya feel.

SP stimulates mast cell degranulation and histamine release. This is a link to allergies, and may be why, some people with fibro who get on top of food & other allergies, find some relief of symptoms.

SP stimulates proliferation and differentiation of lymphocytes and induces immunoglobulin synthesis. This may be a link to the infection-hypothesis for fibro. Is excess SP a result of a low-grade infection (lyme disease/borrellia, or a stealth virus), the body's way of trying to beat out the bug? Perhaps this is why a certain segment of the formerly-fibro population claims that their lyme or whatever treatment eliminated their fibro symptoms?

Immunoglobulin induction by SP may relate to the relatively high rate of autoimmune disease in fibro sufferers. Furthermore, SP induces synthesis of IL-1alpha, IL-1 beta, and SCF by bone marrow stromal cells, IL-1, IL-6, TNF-alpha, IFN-gamma by monocytes and IL-1 from astrocytes. Some of these chemical messengers, induced by SP, can also contribute to an autoimmune disease pattern, if they overwhelm the balance with other chemical messengers.

But what is chicken, what is egg? Are we looking at a cause or an effect with elevated SP levels?

It should be noted that SP interacts with the endocrine system. Inadequate thyroid hormone is a relatively "simple" thing that causes SP overexpression. Restoring adequate levels of free thyroid hormone, particularly the active free T3 hormone, quiets SP.

It is also interesting to note that SP interacts with other neurotransmitters. It is possible that those who are helped by antidepressant meds are also experiencing an SP effect.

On the horizon, we have selective SP antagonists upcoming (drugs) that may hold some potential for fibro pain. However -- IMO I would want to ensure there is not a treatable infection or endocrine cause before signing up to dampen SP.

To return to the original question -- about generally overall increased pain. It's been shown that in chronic pain sufferers, regardless of the source (ie whether it's fibro pain, or cancer, or arthritis, or diabetic neuropathy) -- the more pain one experiences over time, the more area of the brain can be given over to processing it, the more sensitive the brain becomes.

Pain is a sensory input. Like sound, visual stimulation, tactile input. If you study art, music, or gymnastics, you become better at it over time. Some of that is your muscles being trained, but much of it is your BRAIN being trained.

So, if your brain gets lots of pain input, it's gonna get devote more effort to processing pain. This "centralization" phenomenon of chronic pain processing has been studied. It's a particularly important reason to ensure that fibro, and all chronic pain sufferers, keep as active as possible. The more sensory stimulation one gets other than pain, the fewer resources are committed to building the pain center in the brain.

So folks! Turn on those radios! Read, enjoy art, take up a new hobby! Get exercise in whatever form you can tolerate it. Interact with others. Get those massages, even if you can't get a professional level one all the time. The more stimulation you get, the better you're gonna feel. It's not a total cure, but it's certainly one way to fight fibro, and there are concrete reasons for doing so, for not just curling up in bed & pulling the covers over one's head.

Best wishes to you all.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
(female)

meeeeelee HB User

I am the same way..........seems like everything hurts more than it should, but I believe that its just part of fibromyalgia.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

Thank you, elmhar, for expanding!

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis

Old 07-09-2006, 01:20 AM   #10
(female)

cjsmommy HB User

Wonderful post Elmhar. Thank you for the info. I did not know that at all. My pain is helped by Nortriptylene and I am thankful for that. Its definitely makes a noticeable difference in my ability to function.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

My son actually summed it up for me recently when I stubbed my toe which made me fall to the floor hugging my foot. He said it seems like since the fibro I have all my nerves outside of my skin instead of in my skin. He said it makes him literally think of me as a ball of nerves, physical and mental. I used to be able to handle severe pain well, walked around with broken bones, deep cuts, pulled tendons etc..... now the slightest injury is agony. I had a stressful, noisy, demanding job and now cannot stand any of that. It is like I have gone from one extreme to another. I also have noticed the more I try to be careful the clumsier I seem to get....go figure!
~Mim

Old 07-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #12
(female)

june789 HB User

thank you~ Elmhar for such an insightful reply~

Old 07-21-2006, 04:48 AM   #13
(male)

Joe Canning HB User

The worst part of Fibro for me is the chronic pain. I have been high doses of morphine since 1996 when I was first diagnosed. Fortunately I found a doctor who specializes in Fibro and chronic pain and he was able to bring me back to life. I spent a year where the pain was so severe that I literatly could not walk or talk. My body completely shut down. My wife was sure that I had Altheimers because I didn't recognize her or anyone at all. I was in a wheelchair and unable to communicate with anyone. The only conclusion the doctors could come up with was that the pain through out my body had caused my mind to disassociate and I just shut down. Once they started me on the heavy duty painkillers I slowly started to get better. I have absolutely no memory of that year and I refer to it as the year I lost.

Joe

Old 07-22-2006, 09:32 AM   #14
(female)

tina_49 HB User
Red face Re: Has anybody experienced aggravated pain level?

oooooooooh, I wondered what that was my kids think I'm crazy when I stub my toe on something I scream as though someone is killing me I mean I scream bloody murder than I cry for like 10 minutes I was wondering why I would react this ways didn't before Fibro. thanx sorry Tina

Old 07-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Elmhar that was a wonderful post, thank you.

Joe Canning that sounds like an awful year I am glad you are back with this world.

As to the original post, yes I am more sensitive to pain. I use to have a VERY high tolerence to pain and now it seems as though everything hurts more than it should. I didn't realize this until I had a procedure done at the docs office that would have been nothing for me in the past, especially with a few shots of novacaine or whatever she used to numb the skin, but I could not stand the pain and I think my confusion of why it hurt so much when it didn't in the past only added to it. Of course I figured out it was the constant pain of the fibro but learning about the substance P was quite interesting.

Glojer

Closed Thread