It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
What can I do for the knots in my back and shoulders???

What can I do for the knots in my back and shoulders??? I have tried a TENS unit, botox injections, PT, myofacial release, acupuncture (which kind of helps), massage ( I literally need it daily), I am currently on a heating pad, I use tennis balls in bed to push on the knots (and man that is sore-sends pain up my neck, into my head and into my chest), I tried Relafen but didn't like having to take it daily and not feeling different, Ultram works okay, vicodin sometimes, but I don't use that often, tylenol and motrin are useless.I did ESI but since then the drs say the herniation in my neck isn't a big deal and shouldn't be an issue. Traction even-I wake up sore, have to take xanaflex to fall alseep. My feet hurt daily bc of the plantar faciitis, my knees and joints when sitting in one position for even ten minutes. I am tired all the time, which could be from the meds, but man. My mil has fibro so she understands, and I am lucky to have that. She sends me money monthly to get weekly massages, but I haven't been able to get in for over a week and I am DYING. I am thinking of seeing a new chiro, get their point of view and looking into TRIGGER POINT inj. anyone have relief from those???? Please let me know if you have. I am avoiding asking my doc for a new MRI of my entire spine, since it has been two years since my last Cspine and I have never had a Tspine one done. I don't know if I want to know if there is something worse, especially since I am two years out from my two level lumbar fusion. I have tension there too, since i can't stretch that area of my spine anymore. Sheesh. Would LOVE some feedback.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-07-2006 at 08:01 PM. Reason: to change the title - please post about your personal issue rather than phrasing posts as polls or surveys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: What can I do for the knots in my back and shoulders???

reading some of your posts, I still wonder if I really have fibro. See, my labs were fine, and I don't have many of the same issues. I did have pretty much all the tender points, but the Rheum/Fibro doc I saw said she thought my issue was more skeletal. Then, my newer doc who is a Doctor of Osteopathy, suggested Fibro. Since, I hurt most of the time and am tired. it is easy to say fibro over chronic pain and chronic fatigue but jeeze, I just don't know. Should I see what the chiro thinks about that???

Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
(female)

Fibrodoxical HB User

My primary care doc referred me to a Pain Clinic and they gave me trigger point injections in my trapezius, along with nerve blocks in the back of my neck and an epidural nerve block in my lumbar area. Worked wonderfully well! I was in Horrible shape before I had them! Was almost bedridden. I had severe migraines several times a week from all the knots in my traps and the stiffness in my lumbar area. No matter what I did the knots would not go away. Once the pain cycle was broken up with the different injections then the meds worked much better. Now I'm able to stay on top of things with meds, exercise, and stretching. best wishes.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thank you and so happy they helped you! I am def. going to take a look into that sometime soon. I'll be getting new ins that is better than hubby's in August so I'll wait-sure they will cover more than his. Thank you for sharing your experience with those. How much did it hurt? I hate needles and the botox inj hurt quite a bit. I could ask for a sedative if needed, or do the muscles need to be tight for the inj? I know I can get these answers from my doc, but if you know that would be great until I see him.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
(female)

bccled HB User

I find when I have flare ups of back spasms/pain it helps tremendously to take a muscle relaxer at bedtime. I also have discovered Lidocaine patches to be a godsend!!

Old 07-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
(female)

3leafclover HB User

I have had the trigger point injections. They are not pleasant, but not as bad as I thought during the actual procedure. My doctor is very kind and gentle. I have had them in the hips and neck shoulder area. The hip area wasn't that bad and in a few days felt much relief and slept much better. The neck area was VERY PAINFUL for about 5 days (needed vicoden and valium and rest and heat pad). After the first week I find MUCH relief. So, if you can deal with the heal time, they are worth it in my opinion. I could finally move the neck around and didn't have the soreness and knots. I have an appt. this friday and am going to get them due to my husband and I celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary at Water World and I really want to be able to enjoy it without all the pain. My neck and shoulder areas cause me the WORST of it. Good luck and I hope whatever direction you choose it works. As with anything, don't be afraid to try different things, as some work better than others for different people.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
(female)

meeeeelee HB User

I make my husband massage me many times a day...the poor guy. lOL But I need it. My spasms are high, in the neck and shoulders, upper back. Sometimes I have him rubbing so hard he says he's afraid he will hurt me. And it does hurt, but it releives the spasms, I think...

Old 07-25-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

it hurts but feels SOOOOO GOOD!!!!!! My husband will massage my shoulders too, and it is just never enough. I am def going for the injections next Friday. I work that weekend, do you think it will be bad?? I was okay after my botox and those were in the spots I am sure these will be in. I can deal with the pain, even if I have to cry. Can they go down from head to toe though?? that is how I feel I need them. Neck, traps, shoulder blade areas, ribs, the muslce in low back that helps hold us up (I should know that one), my piriformus (butt), calves and arches/heels. I am shuffling around in the am like a little old lady.
I appreciate everyone's input too. I'll def tell you how it went!

Old 07-26-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
(female)

meeeeelee HB User
Arrow Re: What can I do for the knots in my back and shoulders???

OMG Ain't it like heaven? LOL We are lucky to have live in massueses. ..The only injections I have had have been some thing like novacaine, just numbed me up for a day. I've also had some cortisone inj which hurt terribly. The trigger points inj have been mentioned, but I don't know if I have the guts. Really. It sounds painful. Let us know something.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I sure will. My mil has fibro as well and she is interested in seeing if the inj work for me as well, if they do then she'll see about getting them too. I wish I could have them NOW. My rib cage is killing me and my sacrum is out. Jeeze. Just waiting for my tylenol to kick in and the Zanaflex to work.

Closed Thread