HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   "Motion is the Lotion" (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/407931-motion-lotion.html)

elmhar 07-07-2006 07:58 PM

"Motion is the Lotion"

I had a delightful experience this afternoon. On my walk became more acquainted with someone in my neighborhood who is a retired physio -- formerly worked at a pain clinic, helped people with chronic pain issues, including fibro, for years.

I probably got at least $100 value info while we talked; learned about a number of things. But I thought the above quote was precious. From a PT point of view, regular exercise is critical to being able to cope with chronic pain. It shouldn't be exercise beyond tolerance, but it should be regular & if at all possible, continuing to push the envelope just slightly, a little more added each week.

My new friend also mentioned that ICE is the most helpful non-med for severe, acute musculoskeletal pain ... slows down, even stops the nerves from firing. I'm chicken, actually a heat-for-fibro gal. Anybody tried ice?

Best wishes.

ashraven828 07-08-2006 12:06 AM

Re: "Motion is the Lotion"

I've tried ice and although it does help get rid of the pain, I absolutely HATE the beginning when you first put it on. The cold is so painful! Of course, after it goes numb it doesn't hurt anymore...lol.

cjsmommy 07-09-2006 12:11 AM

I'm a walking example of "motion is the lotion" (I love that saying!) is the way to go. Its hard but since I started excersing regularly I've felt tons better. I still have fatigue issues in general but the pain is much less most days. I wish I had a cure for the fatigue...it sure would be nice.

stick2013 07-10-2006 02:52 AM

I too, will agree with "Motion is the Lotion" I have been working out since Jan. and since then I have stopped taking all pain meds, and muscle relaxers. The only thing I take is Cymbalta. I mostly do walking on the treadmill, or walking tapes ( Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds) but I do manage to get in small hand weights, crunches, and pushups a few times a week. Feel sssssooooooooo much better, and I have more energy. Sleep is still an issue, but I manage.

I know it's hard to start a program, and even harder to stick to it, but it helps, and so I keep at it everyday. In the last 3 weeks I have had some problems, so working out wasn't possible. Diverticulitis, vertigo, and I fell down a flight of stairs and sprained my foot real bad. After the first week NOT working out, I could hardly get out of bed in the morning, I ached all over, stiff, and hurt everywhere.

On Friday I started working out again....Yes I had pain, and hurt evem more on Sat. But today is Monday, and I just finished 1 1/2 miles on the treadmill, I feel great again.....

Have a pain free day:wave:

Glojer 07-10-2006 02:52 PM

Love that saying, it is so true. I do regular exercise classes and the circuit at my work out place and use my treadmill at home as often as possible. I am sure that is why I keep so much pain away and lately my flares haven't been lasting as long. Anyway I hope so cause I can't give it up I feel like it helps so much.

batar 11-15-2006 05:35 AM

Hi El!

[SIZE="3"]I can relate to the cold thing for fibro. When we open our pool in may, the water is just 72-76*. That is when I enjoy my pool the most because all back pain and fibro pain gone for a few hours and sometimes for re st of day. The cold water takes all the inflamation from your body, it really does work! It is really the initial effect of getting in water, but once your in, ahhhhhhh! I lay on my foam raft which is old, but keeps my body half in cold water. Try laying in a cool bath, same thing. Let me know, Tammy ^j^[/SIZE]

builder 11-24-2006 07:10 PM

Sorry, I have to disagree. Anytime I try to do a little bit of exersise, I feel so much worse and it gets worse until I stop exersising. For example, I went to visit a relative for a few weeks. I stayed in a guest bedroom on the second floor. Just the act of going up and down the stairs countless times a day made my legs hurt something terrible. I thought I'd get use to it after a few days. It just got worse. It took about three days of doing nothing to feel better. Maybe my case is worse than others since I ahve to take some kind of pain med every day. I wish lite exersise would work for me. I try anything to make me feel better.