It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Question Massage that REALLY hurt

Hello all, it has been a while since posting. I have a question for everyone: Has anyone had a massage and then been in terrible pain for days after? I had one after having my doc prescribe them, but my physical therapist barely massaged. I then went on vacation and had a massage after explaining I had fibromyalgia and myofascial pain. She really massaged out 16 large knots from my neck to tail bone and I told her it hurt but she said that was the knots releasing. I felt pretty good for about an hour, then for the next 3 days I could not stand to feel any pressure on ANY place on my back! It has been a week now, and I am still sore but can now lay on my back and drive again. Is this typical? I had it done on a cruise so I can't ask the massage therapist. I was told by a friend that if I have it done weekly it would improve. I just don't think I can stand that much pain again! Anyway, thanks for any comments or suggestions. Sure wish I had had some of those pain patches I read about on here!
~ Mim

Old 07-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Massage that REALLY hurt

I know there are different philosophies on massage, but one of the biggest benefits for fibro sufferers is that a pleasant massage can release endorphins in the brain, shortcircuiting pain sometimes for days.

Doesn't sound like you had one of those ... perhaps this massage therapist didn't understand much about fibro? Perhaps had minimal understanding of trigger point release?

Here's what my retired PT neighbor told me the other day about trigger point release: 1) That you can learn to do TPR on yourself, or have a spouse do it for you. 2)That w/fibro often desensitization must be used along with trigger point release. 3) That you should be able to "feel it," but never should TPR be done in a way that is excruciating. 4) That when done properly, there is immediate benefit, reduced pain, sometimes for quite a long time. 5) That it does take some skill to never exceed 20 lbs of pressure, but that it is a skill that can be learned by pressing on a bathroom scale. 6) That TPR is most useful where there is muscle tension accompanied by pain. 7) That effective TPR will ease pain not just "on the spot," but for the whole area that the is innervated by the trigger point -- often a fairly large area of muscle.

Desensitization is making light circles over the trigger point, then progressively increasing the pressure while making the circles over the trigger point, to tolerance. For some people desensitization will take a number of sessions, until it is possible to apply enough pressure, at tolerance to release the trigger point.

Personally I would be slow to sign up for a repeat of a massage technique that ate up a week of my life. Maybe do some networking to find a massage therapist with a little more skill???

Best wishes.

Last edited by elmhar; 07-10-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
(female)

Michelle4 HB User

I have started to get a massage every 2 weeks. The first 2 times I was really sore,but only the day after. I dont know if he understands fibro, but I told him I had it. He says if anything hurts to let him know and he will stop. with each sesion his is able to work me a little more, so I agree with elmhar, you may want to find someone else. Where I live there are some places that advertise that they are experienced in fibro and other conditions. But I like the person I have now and wouldnt switch.

Sorry I dont any other advice, just wanted to let you know my experience.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
(female)

Mora HB User

I once got a massage that was way too deep! I could not sleep prone for a week and anything that touched my back set my pain level throught the roof! I would not use that therapist ever again, she/he obviously does not like to apply what she learned in school to her clients.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Mim, I have had several massages and only had soreness the next day and never enough to cause 'pain' just some soreness. Don't give up on massage, if you have the right therapist it can be wonderful.

I have also used the Migun massage bed and I really like it, it does make you sore after the first use but I did it the required seven days in a row and I was feeling better. They have one at the place I workout and I will difinitly be buying a pkg. and using it again. Check your local phone book or the internet, if they have a store near you it is my understanding that you can try them for free for something like 60days, at the store of course. They do not replace a good massage therapist it is a completely different feeling.

Glojer

Old 07-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

yes try another massage therapist, but did you also know that after a massage youre suppose to drink plenty of water to clear out all those toxins released by the massage? cause if you dont, then theyll just resettle and will make you very sore and untouchable for a few days afterwards. try a different one, and drink plenty of water that day and see if you dont see a difference hon, wish you well.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
(female)

la_in_fla HB User

About a year ago, a friend massaged my back and shoulders for me. It hurt a lot while he was massaging, but I gritted my teeth and continued, thinking it would help in the end. I felt better for a couple hours, and then for three or four days I could barely move, and even my clothes touching my skin was painful. Since then I have resisted any type of massage, for fear of that happening again, but after reading these postings I feel a lot more hopeful about that.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
(female)

CanyonsEcho HB User

It was too rough for you. Massage can be good. also, make sure your back is in line with a visit to a chiropractor, that can make a difference too. Use Ice packs on the sore spots it will help with the pain.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:08 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

aleenia HB User

wow, you sound like me! i posted last week about my massage. i'd been suffering from back pain constantly for 2 weeks, and thought i'd have a nice massage to help it. it was my first one ever!

unfortunately, it seems that she gave me a shiatsu massage (even though i didn't ask for one) and it's been over a week and my neck is STILL very sore. the rest of my back, where the pain originally was, isn't too bad, but i feel like she's damaged me.

should i complain? i wan't given the choice of massage i was having - but i thought it would be the soothing gentle one.

never again will i have such a deep, probing massage

Old 07-19-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Hey there, from what I am gathering on here and from my sister that is a massage therapist you need to be really specific on any "problem" areas you have and speak up if it is uncomfortable. I guess I probably should have told her to quit after she continued to work out my knots. I did know about flushing out the system with water and cranberry juice but it was so sore I am not sure how much it helped. Scarey to think it might have hurt worse. I think it is best to start off with mild massage and build up as the body adjusts. The problem for me with that is I can only afford one once ina blue moon, like for my birthday once a year!!! Truthfully, the best massage is really just a nice back rub from my son, but he poops out too soon (ha, or so he says....lol) and I need one at least twice a day to help. Good luck and take it easy!
Mim

Closed Thread