It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User
Has anyone used gen. Darvocet?

Hi there,

I haVe recently been dxes with FM/CMPS even though I have had it for MANY years. I was goiven gen. Flexeril and Klonopin to take before bedtime which has helped alot with that issue. I am also taking some PT which has been somewhat helpful but it is not the cheapest to go constantly, even with insurance.

I just had my cervical x-rays read which showd some arthritis in that area ( no big surprise there shall we say). I aksed the doc about another possible pain killer that I might take if needed and she suggested Darvocet.

The more I read the more I think I will not taking it to often but haven't tried it yet. I just got the prescription today . Has it been helpful to anyone on the list for any of these tyoes of pain? I know all are very different and what may help you may not help me but want to ask you all anyway.

It is 2x a day - as needed. I am pretty sure I won't do that and will be very careful on my first few doses and will not be driving or going anyplace for sure. I think the dosage is 100-650 TA.

More later on !

Blessings and WARM Hugs,

Granniluvs8

Old 07-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User
Re: Has anyone used gen. Darvocet?

Hi Granniluvs8! Everyone is different I want to say that first off. I personally don't prefer Darvocet b/c it seems to make my heart race. Especailly at bedtime which I already have a hard time with sleep. However, I do pretty good on Ultram or Tramodol and many people do not like this.
I would def give it a try. And like you said don't drive the first few times. I always wait to take my neds until I am done driving the kids around for the day. Or believe it or not a block away from home!
I do hope it works well for you!
Deena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User

Hi MOMOFBOYZ,

Thanks for your reply. The doc told me to to take it as needed but I hate to take it twice a day like they say I can do. Also, they say not to drink with it and we usually ( if I am home and not going anywhere) will have a a glass or two of wine before dinner. Now I am afraid that might do something to my liver. I know also that tylenol has the same warning on it so usually used ibuprphen instead. However, I found with my fibro most nsaids don't do much of anything for my pain anyhow. I have been taking flexseril and Klonopin at night and am sleeping pretty well now but have not been taking anything else lately for pain - yet !!

Does Ultram have the same warning on it? A friend of mine also has FM and she takes Ultram with some tylenol during the day and likes it. How many Ultrams do you take a day, does it vary deppending on your pain?

Thanks again !

Blessings,

Granniluvs8

Old 07-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
(female)

Jennio HB User

I take Darvocet for pain. (I get the generic form). I have been on it for years. I have had no problem with it, and it does help relieve my pain. I started with just taking one pill, but I have been on Darvocet long enough that I now have to take two pills to get pain relief.

As for not mixing Darvocet and alcohol: Darvocet is a narcotic, so taking it with alcohol will enhance its effect. Also, Darvocet contains acetomenophen (Tylenol), which, when combined with alcohol, can stress the liver. If you drink, I would talk to your doctor about whether it is safe to take Darvocet. You may be fine, or she may suggest another pain medication.

Hope this helps. Take care!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User

Jennio and all,

I would not take the Darvocet WITH alcohol it would most likely be hours afterwards or before. I also got the generic form but couldn't remember how to spell it at the time. Tylenol also now has a warning on the bottle telling you not to take it if you drink alcohol but I forget how much alcohol they are talking about. We don't have our wine every day but may have a couple glasses a few times during the week if staying home at night. Both of us are still busy but right now I have a break. I sing in 3 groups and my husband is busy with the Knights of Columbus. So, it seems to be one thing or another.

I am going to try it one of these days when I am home and not flitting around and see how I feel, first of all. Then I will go from there. So far have had no problems with the generic Flexeril and Klonopin at bedtime and it really does help me sleep. The gen. Flexeril by itself did not help that much. I have to go back to see her again i 3 months or if I have a question about the med I can call and maybe ask her to change it.

While I was there I should have asked her abaoaut Ultram. A friend I know takes it along wit tylenol and it seems to help her but her problems are also a little different I think.

Thanks for answering.

Soft hugs,

Marilyn (that granni)

Old 07-18-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User

Hi again Granniluvs,
I do like the Tramadol which is generis for ultram. At first I noticed a slight buzz from it. By I swear by day 2 hardly at all. I read on another board that someone takes up to 200 mgs a day. Mine are only 50 mg tabs. And I TRY to stick to every 6 hours. But it is getting harder and harder. Especially if I cook a big meal.
No bad side effects. In fact sometimes it gives me a boost to clean a closet or something.
I personally lie it. May need something stronger soon. It is better than Tylenol or Tylenol /codeine but NOT much,
Hope this answers your ????
What is the flexeril and klonopin for , pain?
ALways looking for the magic cure.
Love ya
Deena

Old 07-19-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User

Hi Deena,

Gen. Klononpin I believe is an antiseizure, possibly spasmotic, and poss.some antidepression drug. However, I understand that it does something to the nerves so you don't feel the pain so much or something. I only take a low dosage at night with gen Flexeril with is a muscle relaxant. They both help me to sleep. I used to get up a bunch of times to go to the bathroom. My bladdar is small any way and I have that problem day or night esp with my b/p meds which make me go anyway ( esp in the am). I gave up long ago with trying to take ibuprophen or tylenol. That was useless. So far everything else I take is vitmins, etc. Oh, I just starated taking malic acid and magnesium to see if that will help some.

Another friend of mine takes Tramadol (Ultram) with tylenol through the day I guess..

I don't know why I did not ask for it. I may do so later on. Thanks for posting.

Blessings and soft hugs,

Marilyn

Closed Thread