It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

windymoon HB User
Hot Tubs Making The Pain Worse?

Been struggle for about 5 years now and I just get worse. I feel my peri-menopause is the factor. Anyway I have been to many doctors and tried all kinds of treatments. Saw a new Neurologist a few months ago and he has ran all kinds of tests, mri's-nerve-muscle testing. Right now I'm having a lot of neck and left shoulder-arm pain, I get a big muscle knot plus the pain runs into my chest. It's even hard to breathe, I saw a cardialogist to rule out heart problems, went through a 3 hour stress test.
Very sensitive to medication, in April I ended up in the hospital with a side effect from a new drug... Even seeing a counselor to deal with all this!

My husband would do anything to help me and recently he bought a hot tub, but the pounding of the water from the jets seems to make me sorer. Has anyone experience this? Only been in it a dozen or so times, maybe I need to give it more time? For awhile will just set in the warm water and not turn on the jets.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Hot Tubs Making The Pain Worse?

I can't use most hot tubs or pools without pain flares as I am sensitive to the chlorine & bromine chemicals used for sanitation. We've even put a chlorine filter on our shower, & I swear by it.

FWIW I am also very sensitive to meds, metabolize differently from most folks.

A subset of those with fibro & CFS have chemical sensitivities. Beyond that, halogenated compounds (like chlorinated & brominated cps) can bind to iodine receptors throughout the body & wreak metabolic havoc ... it's worse if you have undiagnosed or undertreated thyroid problems, which is not too uncommon in fibro.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

windymoon HB User

I would had thought of a chlorine connection. I have well water so I don't have to worry about drinking or bathing in chlorine.

I have a history of thyroid problems starting with thyroid cancer, I'm sure it compounds the problem!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User

Windymoon,

I just love my hot tub. It is not an outside jacuzzi. It is just plain old bath water with no chemicals. I don't do it every day though. You might want to try it alternating with showers and sometimes also just sitting or lying in the warm water. To me, the hotter the better but then we are all different.

You probably would do best in warm water and maybe just do the jets once in awhile for a short time and if you get used to that then try them for a longer period. I guess it depends alot of which of your tender points are the worst and where they located in relation to where the jets are. Maybe you can also try moving your body away from the sorest area of you body, at least in the beginning. As I have said, mine is an older jacuzzi and may not have as many jets as yours. There are quite a few spaces in between in mine, Hope I have made some sense of what I am trying to tell yo. (-: !!!!

Bye for now.

That granni (Marilyn)

Actually mine is an older tub and I don't think there are as many jets as in the newer ones. To bad you cannot regulat it ( the intensity of the jets). Also I had a man come in to fix my tub opnce and he said that you can regulate or turn the little jets in whatever direction yhou want to. If so maybe you can turn them away from your sorest areas ( if that is possible with your hot tub). Look and see if you can turn yours. You just stick your finger (while the tub is not on) inside of the jet and see if you can turn it towards another direction. That is just another idea.

However, you can just try different things and alternate with the jets, just the warm/hot water and some showers perhaps. Let me know if you get to figuring it out and what will work for you. I hope you find the solution.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User

Hi Windymoon!
My husband bought me a hot tub last year. Part for the kids to play in and part for my "arthritis". Didn't know I had Hashi's and fibro then.
Used to go in it every night. Helped.
Now though I go in as often as I want but CANNOT use the jets. Almost at all.
I do sit in the warm water. Especially if the kids are in there. But unfortunately the jets pressure is just too hard for my muscles ect.
What a pity and a shame!!!!!
Won't really tell hubby though as he bought it to make me better not worse!
Deena

Old 07-18-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
(female)

CanyonsEcho HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymoon
Been struggle for about 5 years now and I just get worse. I feel my peri-menopause is the factor. Anyway I have been to many doctors and tried all kinds of treatments. Saw a new Neurologist a few months ago and he has ran all kinds of tests, mri's-nerve-muscle testing. Right now I'm having a lot of neck and left shoulder-arm pain, I get a big muscle knot plus the pain runs into my chest. It's even hard to breathe, I saw a cardialogist to rule out heart problems, went through a 3 hour stress test.
Very sensitive to medication, in April I ended up in the hospital with a side effect from a new drug... Even seeing a counselor to deal with all this!

My husband would do anything to help me and recently he bought a hot tub, but the pounding of the water from the jets seems to make me sorer. Has anyone experience this? Only been in it a dozen or so times, maybe I need to give it more time? For awhile will just set in the warm water and not turn on the jets.
If the jets are really strong, I think it could hurt your tender spots. Try cold compresses on the tender points to relieve pain, then warm to relax. I know if I overdo my stretching excercises, I will be more painful too. I go to a chiropractor also for my neck and left shoulder/arm pain (sends tinling down to my wrist) and tender points! Ben Gay also helps

Closed Thread