It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

aleenia HB User
Question blood test results - need input

hi there,

i had some blood tests done the other week, to see if i have any rhumie issues. the nurse phoned back and said 'everything is fine'. however, yesterday i realised that i wanted the exact readings, and so i called back and got most of them. if someone can help interpret them, that'd be great:

TSH - 1.822
T3 - not done
T4 - not done
Free T4 - not done (she said the reason for it not being done is that my TSH wasn't high enough to warrant it)
Calcium - 9.3
CBC - 11.4 (elevated white blood cells, but only slightly)
Electrolytes & glucose - normal
ANA - negative
Sed rate - 22 (slightly elevated)

is there anything here of any concern and should i push for any other blood tests?

Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: blood test results - need input

Hi Aleenia,

Well, LOTS of good news there! It can be frustrating not to "get a hit" when you have testing done, but just think of all the bullets you've dodged with those nice test results.

What happened with your thyroid testing is typical. You can either go with your doctor's advice here, or research further & see if you want to pursue more testing.

It's possible, even with TSH in the normal range, for there to be thyroid malfunctions in fibro.

In my own case, my TSH at present is quite low (0.8) and my free T4 is normal. Actually, my TSH is somewhat suppressed from the standard thyroid meds I take to raise my T4. The vast majority of docs say that T4 meds are all you need.

However, my free T3, the active thyroid hormone, is waaaay down at the bottom of the normal range. I've needed a second thyroid med to improve the free T3 -- and that second med is the one that really helps the fibro symptoms. It appears that my body has difficulty converting the inactive thyroid hormone to the active form.

Some fibro experts think that many fibro sufferers have thyroid hormone resistance at the cellular level. Kind of like insulin resistance.

Standard TSH testing doesn't give you a clue about conversion or resistance issues. TSH is a pituitary hormone, so, assuming pituitary function is normal (never a given w/CFS or fibro), TSH may tell you something about how your pit communicates with your thyroid. A good score on the TSH is like your phone company telling you the line to your house works. Meanwhile, if the battery on your cordless is dead, the phone ain't gonna work.

Many MDs have a one-size-fits-all approach to dealing with both fibro & thyroid. If whatever your doctor suggests as treatment helps you & you like it, great. But if you're struggling & want to look further, you may have to find another doc. But, you might want to ask the one you're with to order the specific tests first, give him a chance. Assuming you're interested. The tests to ask for are free T3 & free T4 levels, and the 3 different thyroid antibodies -- TPO, thyroglobulin,and microsomal.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

aleenia HB User
Re: blood test results - need input

hi elmhar,

thank you for that - it really helps explain a lot. i think i will push for further testing as i do feel that there is something else happening. the fact that my blood count was a bit elevated makes me wonder - it's not abnormal, but it's obvious something's going on there.

i'm due to see an endocrynologist soon (for my pcos), so i will see if they can do all of those tests you've listed, and then take it from there.

thanks again for explaining!

:)

Closed Thread