HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   A long time away from Board (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/413241-long-time-away-board.html)

brend 07-26-2006 07:31 AM

A long time away from Board

Hi all,
It is a long time sinse I last checked into board. My life has been busy and I just got out of the habit of checking in.
My mother died at the beginning of the year after a long illness. We ( the family) sat in the hospital for 18 days waiting for the good Lord to take her after the docs had said she has only hours to go. Sinse then my sister had a heart attack and had to have heart surgery. She is doing fine. This all took a lot out of me and when I should have gone to the board for support, I just bottled up. I was in control and did not need any help. Or so I thought. I crashed and everyone close to me saw it coming except me. Will I ever learn?
Anyway, I feel guilty about coming back after all this time and looking for information, but i am asking anyway.
I have been diagnosed with yet another illness and I feel that it has to be fibro related although my GP says there is no connection. The fancy name for this illness is "Dupuytren's Contracture". The synptoms are lumps of hard tissue on my hands. Both hands below the little fingers and ring fingers. The lumps are sore but not painful if that makes any sense. I thought it was arthritis and was with my GP and casually asked him about the lumps. He made the diagnosis and says I will require surger and he has referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon. I did some research on the net and it appears that this is a congenital illness where fibrous tissues in the tendons and these lumps are formed which constrict the movement of the fingers. The GP says a lot of old people say they have arthritis in there hands have in fact got this illness.
This to me is too much of a coincidence. I have had Fibromyalgia for many years and now I am diagnosed with this illnes which is to me the same family.

Has anyone else had any experience of this or any thoughts on the subject.
Again please forgive my long absence.

Brend

bilij 07-26-2006 08:14 AM

Re: A long time away from Board

Hello Brend, and welcome back! I'm sorry to hear about your
mother's death. She is at peace now, no more pain or heartaches.
My prayers are with you and your family.
I haven't posted for several months either, I've had lots of company and
somehow just got out of the habit of sitting down at the computer.
There are quite a few new folks posting lately and I haven't even answered
their posts.
Brend, I have Dupuytren's contractures really bad in my right hand and
just now starting in my left hand. This is an inherited disorder but it can
skip generations. My dad had the contractures and I'm the only offspring
that has them. Mine started about 10 years ago when I was 65. My hand
looks really ugly, but has not hindered me very much. (my right thumb is not
involved), but on my left hand it's going to get the thumb. If I had been
younger, I would have had surgery, I guess....I'm sure you have researched
about the surgery and the results .
It was several years after the beginning of the contractures that fibromyalgia
began after an injury to my knee. I had never connected the two disorders,
but it makes sense there is a connection.
I'm sorry this is long and rambling, I'm really out of practice with my typing
and spelling. It's so hot here in Alabama, it's keeping me indoors too much
and the air conditioning makes the fibro pain much worse. May God bless
you, my Island friend.
Bilij

goldenwings 07-26-2006 09:18 AM

Hello there Brend,

Welcome back. Just to offer you my heartfelt support on the loss of your Mum, I do hope that with time you will be able to find a little peace.

With regard to the heart surgery your sister has gone through, if I can be of any help in any way, please let me know. As you know I am an old hand at the heart attack, surgery and heart problems side of things. I will try to be of assistance if it is something I am familiar with.

I haven't any help or advice on the DC diagnosis you have had. Our woderful bilij has once again stepped in to help you, bless her. Welcome back too bilij my friend.

Come back when you can, I know things are difficult for you at the moment with everything that is happening but just talking to each other here is just so therapeutic I believe. In the last 3 or 4 weeks I honestly don't know how I would have coped with my own health news had it not been for this wonderful family here.

Take care.

goldenwings :angel:

bluelakelady 07-26-2006 02:29 PM

dear brend,
welcome back. it's okay to think you have it under control only to find you have fooled yourself most of all. i find it is a very normal aspect of surviving the death of someone we love. now that you are home with us, it may be a good time to let some of it rip on out.
bilij is a wealth of information, and today exactly the sort you need to hear. sorry you have this, both of you.
welcome home kiddo.
love,
blue

brend 07-27-2006 10:48 AM

Thank you Goldenwings, Blue and Bilig for the welcome back. It means a lot to know there is support within the fibro family.
Bilig. I have been doing some research on the net and with family. There is no history of this DC illness in the family that I can find. I am a moderate, very moderate drinker. I dont smoke. I cannot figure where this came from. It is not very painful. more of an inconvenience, but my GP says that surgery is the only solution as my fingures will continue to turn in and eventually look like a claw. Not a nice thought.
I still suspect a direct connection between fibro and DC. Have you had any success with a "cure" for DC?

On a much brighter note. My eldest daughter is getting married on Thursday of next week. Proud moment.

Goldenwings. My sister had a stent (spelling??) inserted on Tuesday. She is in a lot of pain but the docs are happy with progress.

Thats my update.
brend

Glojer 07-28-2006 07:35 AM

brend so happy to have you back. I am sorry to hear about your mom and I will say a few prayers for your sisters recovery. With time and faith God heals all.

I have some personal experience with that thinking you are in control business and then crashing. I could not have and still couldn't make it through bravemans (blue gave my hubby that name) illness without the generosity of friendship on this board. I haven't had the chance to check in for almost a week.

The crashes will come, just give yourself permission to rest and feel better.

Don't know much about your hand problem, but I remember reading a post long time ago about the claw hand effect. Sounds to me that there could be a slight fibro connection, but so glad surgery can be a help to you.

Congratulations on your daughters wedding, have a wonderful time. By the way, I saw a special on t.v. about Ireland the other day and I thought of you and wondered how you were doing.

Glojer

bluelakelady 07-30-2006 06:54 PM

dear brend,
may your daughters day be memorable, fun and filled with the laughter of fellow celebrators. it is a proud moment.
may she come on angel wings to kiss the brow of your daughter on this most special day in any womans life. a womans love transcends all.
peace and love, dance and laughter,
bluelakelady

goldenwings 07-31-2006 04:26 AM

Dear Brend :wave:

I do so hope your daughter's wedding day is filled with love and joy. I know it will be. Not too hot weather, it has been so hot and humid here in the UK so I hope in Ireland it willbe a bit cooler for you all.

Big hugs to you and to her.

Take care

goldenwings :angel:

brend 07-31-2006 09:21 AM

Thank you all for the support and good wishes for my daughter. I have been very busy the past few days practicing the "father of the bride" speech. I have taken the week off work to allow myself some rest before the wedding and it was the best decision I could have made. I seem to have the strenght to continue working, but as soon as I stop I collapse in a heap. It is as if I have told my body that is is now ok to crash. I have until Thursday to get myself together.
I will get back to you after that.

Brend

bilij 07-31-2006 04:34 PM

Hello Brend, best wishes for your daughter and I hope your "father of the bride" speech goes smoothly. What a happy time for your family!!! As for crashing after a stressful time, I think we all experience the same thing. I just thank God for seeing me through some of the tough times.
Brend, there is no "cure" for DC, only surgery. There is so much
on the internet about DC, even pictures of the surgery. Are both
your hands involved?
Have a great week, my prayers are with you.
Bilij