It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

dridlen HB User
Question Pain Meds or lack thereof

Hi all,

First off let my say that I have learned so much from this board and others like it. Thank God you all are here, cause there sometimes isn't a lot of info or sympathy from Dr's, nor a lot of help. I try everything they tell me but would just as soon stay away from high powered pain meds for as long as I can.

With that said, what are some of the methods of pain control that I can implement to keep mobile and stay comfortable. I take Aleve and Ibupofen and they help most times. I use a heating pad and use a massager on my upper back and shoulders. I have a lot of trouble with headaches that I assume are caused my the muscles in my back and shoulders. I also have a terrible time with the muscles in my upper back, mostly on the right side, but radiating to the left also.

I also have a terrible time with my left arm/wrist, which I am thinking is caused by carpel tunnel, but am not sure.

Thanks so much for the wealth of information that is found here.

Dottie

Old 07-29-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
(female)

bilij HB User
Re: Pain Meds or lack thereof

Hello Dottie, I haven't been on the board very much lately
and if you are new to the fibro board, I welcome you and I
hope you keep posting.
If I had 2 suggestions for anyone with fibromyalgia, it would
be to see the right doctors to rule out other things that are
similar to fibro. (A good rheumatoligist, neurologist and even an
endocrinologist.) After everything else is ruled out, find a doctor
you have rapport with and stick to ONE doctor; trust him/her to
find what works best for you. Lots of people on the board use
pain management clinics and are pleased with their care. After I
had all the test and was finally convinced I had fibro, my family
doctor has helped me control the pain for 6 years. I stay active
and do all my housework, some yard work and I eat a regular diet.
I take Norco 5mg twice daily for pain and AmbienCR for sleep.
If you look back on this board, you will find many diets, suplements,
physical therapy, massage therapy and a long list of medications.
We are all so different that our treatment has to be almost coustom made.
May God bless you as you seek the very best for YOU.
Bilij

Last edited by bilij; 07-29-2006 at 09:11 AM. Reason: words left out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Welcome dridlin, bilij is right what works for one does not always work for another. I use vitamins and ambien for sleep and muscle relaxers and I take prednisone for my joint inflammation which is separate from the fibro. I am also an advocate of exercise, at least what you can do. Like bilij does her own housework, some people take small walks everyday and others do stretches.

It will take time for you to find what works best for you but don't ever give up.

Glojer

Old 07-31-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
(female)

FibroFogger HB User

This is my 1st time on a blog. Been searching for an FM support type blog.
I agree with Biliji, Dottie & sorry - forgot ! - the person to whom I hit the reply. the most important items I've learned with over ten yrs of this:
Rule Out all other disease, conditions
Find a doctor that understands & TRIES to help (not hand you a bunch of meds & send you on your way)
Exercise when you can - if your hips hurt, do your hands; if your arms are the main source of pain, swing your legs....some parts need to be active - but DO NOT over do it, or you will pay later
& isn't it an interesting thing, this FM? What works for some, does not work for others. I have a fellow FMer that swears by accupressure; I prefer massage therapy & a hot bath. However....sometimes after a massage, we become totally immobile.
One thing I really feel helps, & have not seen mentioned:
Humor. I'm not kidding! But would like to be, ha ha.
As in stand up comedy, a joke book. Or something that gives you a good feeling, or peacefulness....photos of scenery or favorite places; a box full of blessings, i.e., when something good happens, put it on a note, put the note in the box. No matter how trivial the 'blessing" or good thing may be...a beautiful sunset; a sale on something you wanted but couldn't afford...the box will start filling up.
Then, when you are depressed or sore or in the Fibro Fog, you pull out your Blessing Box, & remember the good things that have happened...& keep reading till your mind is off the negative & on to the positive.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
(female)

bilij HB User

A warm welcome to you, fibrofogger, what a wonderful suggestion about the "blessing box". I have a book I write in quite often,
but I write about both good days and bad days. I like your idea
much better.
We have a lady on this board that really speaks positive to all
of us. You may have read some of her posts; her name is Bluelake-
lady. The first time I posted, I was so depressed about this
"strange" disease and really thought no one believed I was really
hurting. We have so many friends on this board, you begin to feel like you know them personally.
Write us more about yourself. You sound like someone I'd like to
invite over for coffee. Again I say welcome.
Bilij

Old 07-31-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

welcome fibrofogger,
humor is here in some old posts. i laugh at least 100 times a day. honest. it is so healing. with fibro i constantly give myself plenty to laugh about.
as for what helps with pain, big question. i dance, exercise, swim, kayak, paint, carve, garden, hike and bake. along with all those giggles it keeps my mind off my body and yet still gifts her with healthy use. i found it is my mind that matters most in pain managment. i do not take any pills specifically for fibro pain. never found one that worked that did not leave me in a fog. got enough of that, giggle! attitude is everything for me. what i think has the deepest affect on my pain level and how i percieve it.
my imagination is also a grand friend on those days when nothing works and a day in bed is called for. i travel in my mind to magical places where there are creatures to visit and lush tropical forests to run thru. deep pools of warm water to float in and waterfalls to dance under. i go there often. sometimes i dance on top of a mountain. the mountain is real as is the dancing. but when i cannot be there i dance in my mind there.
surround yourself with upbeat loving friends who delight in laughter and know compassion.
come here and play with us. lean on us. we are strong. some of us old timers like bilij and glojer are rocks. strong rocks with places to grab hold and hang on when life seems so much bigger than you are.
peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread