It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

CrazyDogLady HB User
Newbie with questions

Is this a condition that gets progressively worse?
Does anyone else have what feels like hot needles being jammed into your feet (it's only lasts about 30 seconds, but it's very challenging when I'm driving!)
I'm waiting for an appt. with a rheum, but it'll be a couple of months - the pain and the fatigue are really starting to wear me down. I eat very well and I try to get enough sleep. I'm afraid to start exercising... Any suggestions?! Please?!

Old 08-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Newbie with questions

Hi CDL,

I don't think there is a totally typical course for fibro, so I'm not sure how accurate any predictions will be. Some people start w/occasional flares interspersed w/normal times & progress to more continous pain w/fewer intermissions.

Fibro is painful, but as long as you are able to keep moving, it need not be totally debilitating. The people I worry most about are the ones who retreat to bedrest w/narcotics for the indefinite future. That sort of plan may be comforting in the short term but in the long term can lead to debilitation due to lack of muscle use.

As far as exercising, it's impt to start off very slowly & gently with plans to increase distance & intensity very gradually.

Sorry I haven't had the hot needles in the feet pain. The closest I've come is Achilles Heel tendonitis, which I haven't had since I started on thyroid meds.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
(female)

CrazyDogLady HB User

Thank you for the reply. I am scared to death to be the person you described. I work with people with chronic pain, and I've seen way too many people turned into addicts and are vegetables. They never seem to feel any better...
I just had my husband get me a key to the gym at his work... should I expect to feel worse at first? (that's why I haven't started yet)
Does yoga or anything like that seem to help?

Old 08-06-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
(female)

April414 HB User

I agree that fibro can be very confusing, especially if you have other health chronic health problems, which as far as I can tell, is most if not all of us.
My dr. tells me that yes exercise can help, I asked him about yoga and he says that tai chi is easier on the body than yoga and can be very helpful.
I have days I think yhe fibro is getting worse, then I'll have a couple days that I have less pain or stiffness or am not quite as exhausted. The only way I can tell it may get progressively worse is this...we take whatever we each take for pain, whether it be over the counter or prescribed, after a while our bodies get used to that med. and that dose so then we either need a new med. or a higher dose. This does not mean we are, or are getting addicted, it just means that over time our bodies have gotten used to 1 pain med at 1 dose and now it thinks this is normal and the med. no longer effects the pain like it once did. For some people this happens quicker, for some it takes longer.
Now, about the the painful foot tingling, you don't say what other meds. you take, if any, or list any other health problems but I can tell you that for quite some time, alomost 2 years I think I took Topomax to prevent migraines, it worked wonderful up until the last 4 months ot so, it still prevented the migraines great, but first my feet, then hands and eventually ankles and a little past them, wrists and a little past them and then finally my head, I had the painful tingling as time went on each time it did it in any place, the tingling lasted longer and longer. Once it got started on my head it went from tingling to extreme itching, when I started waking myself up scratching my head I knew I'd had enough. I was weaned off of Topomax, had 3 migraines bad enough to go to the er and then I went on Gabitril. The tingling in the extremities is called neuropathy-I think I spelled it right, it normally goes with have diabetes or some sort of nerve damage as far as I was able to learn from reading about, but there may be other causes too, I guess.
Never worry about asking any questions, of any of us or any of your drs. And look stuff up on the internt, you may not always get the exact right answer but usually when you tell your dr. your symtoms and other things you have learned he/she should be able to figure it out or send you to someone who can.
April

Old 08-07-2006, 03:12 AM   #5
(female)

CrazyDogLady HB User

Thank you elmhar & April. I think I am going to try tai chi. I've been looking to send my daughter to some kind of martial arts, so we'll both go.
elmhar, you're right - I am on 10 different medications for various health problems (and I'm only 38) Is that something that's common for fibro people? Does anyone know why? To the best of my knowledge, none of them will cause the hot needles in the feet. I was on topamax, so I know what you mean... I couldn't deal with that stuff! I only lasted on it for about 6 months and had to go off. (works for migraines, though) I'm wondering if the needles has something to do with the knots in my low back - maybe it's aggravating something else? I'm going to look throught the previous posts to see if anyone lists all their other health problems..... that sounds interesting! Now you've got me curious! Thank you much for your feedback!!!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

CDL,

Many, many meds mess with thyroid function. It's only officially noted for a few, but many of them do, nature of chemicals that either interfere with iodine uptake by the body, or chemicals that mess with thyroid enzyme function.

Please make sure you get regular & complete thyroid testing. That means getting your free T3 & free T4 thyroid hormone levels done, and making sure they are at least at the midpoint of the ref. range. Most docs fuss at this request & want instead to run a cheap TSH, but that test (of levels of a pitutitary hormone) is unhelpful for fibro sufferers, who may have OK TSH & OK free T4, but poor conversion to active T3 thyroid hormone.

It helps to learn as much as you can about fibro, and to get copies of all labs run from your doctors' office.

Best wishes.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Just a quick suggestion here CDL, have you ever investigated whether the foot pain is related to plantar fasciitis. That happens in the arch of your foot closer to your heal, but shoots through the whole foot. You would know if it was PF cause it would be so painful to be on your feet or walk and the worse pain is when you get up in the morning or from a resting position.

Glojer

Old 10-28-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
(female)

ddboles HB User

I have the hot needles in the feet! Good description. I have said it feels like bees or stinging or ants are biting me in the feet. How did your DR visits turn out?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
(female)

ravdeb HB User

I have a question. I don't have fibro but a friend of mine does. She said she's had it for about 15 years ( I just met her a year ago..we both have breast cancer and this is how we met). She is not on pain pills and is most of the time in bed. I'm not all that sure if she's suffering from cancer mets or the fibro. She herself doesn't know. Her pains sound like sciatica which I am suffering from.

At any rate, my question is that I'm wondering how long you've been suffering from fribro. I'm afraid my friend has given up. She used to be active. Actually, last year she was doing a lot more than she is doing this year.

So..just wondered. Maybe it's just too much for her already. Maybe it's depression? I know that is part of fibro, too.

Closed Thread