It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
(female)

cloudydaze22 HB User
Could it be Fibromyalgia?

Hi I'm new here and was wondering about some symptoms i've been having.

I have a lot of aches and pains - usually not excruciating, unless I exercise. A few years ago, I started having foot and leg pain in addition to the usual aches and pains. I thought it was just because I was out of shape and a bit overweight, but i'm not so sure now.

First let me tell you that I have bipolar disorder (characterized by depressive episodes and very stressed out/anxious/paranoid manic episodes) - I might have a seperate anxiety disorder too, but not sure. I've also had sleep problems for about 8-10 years now. I may have multiple sleep disorders including sleep apnea, Restless leg syndrome, Narcolepsy, and insomnia (i have symptoms of all of them, and i'm having a sleep study done later this month).

I don't know if my chronic fatigue and aches are caused by a sleep disorder or something else. I've read some of the symptoms of fibro, and it sounds like that could be a possibility. I also have chronic stomach pain and digestive probs (one day i'll be constipated and the next i'll have diarrhea)...I've also thought that I might have irritable bowel syndrome. I also have very painful stomach cramps during menstration...so bad that i've stayed home from class because i had cramps!

Like I mentioned before, my general aches are not usually severe unless i move around a lot. Usually I am too tired to move around though, so i ended up gaining a lot of weight (with the help of bipolar meds). Recently I've been exercising and trying to lose weight, but when I go out for a walk, about 20 minutes into the workout, one of my legs starts to throb with pain. It's so excruciating i have to stop. It doesn't go away right away either. It takes time.

My doc seems to think i'm just out of shape...but i dunno. Some of my other symptoms are questionable. Maybe i'm just a hypochondriac?

***should maybe note that i just laid down on my back, and the pain in my middle upper back /neck got really bad...ow. kinda feels like an aching burning sensation - like my leg pain. It also hurts to get a massage in this area on my back. Pressure feels good in some places but not others.

Last edited by cloudydaze22; 08-07-2006 at 10:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
(female)

cloudydaze22 HB User
Re: Could it be Fibromyalgia?

please someone answer....i'd like to know whether i should even bother bringing this up to my doc.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #3
(female)

simplykel HB User

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 12 years ago and I had very many similar symptoms. It sure sounds like Fibromyalgia to me. Recently my doctor suggested I had hypothyroidism which according to David Brownstein who wrote a book on overcoming thyroid disorders says something along the lines that before Fibro was named, these conditions mirrored hypothyroidism. I recommend looking into his book. It has given me great insight and I wish I had learned of this info 12 years ago!

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
(female)

cloudydaze22 HB User

I know i don't have hypothyroidism because i've been tested. I thought I had it, because I have most of the symptoms! But, my thyroid levels are normal.

I just need to see if my doctor will listen to me when I tell him i think i have fibromyalgia....he'll probably blow me off though. He told me i didn't have a thyroid problem, but i wanted a blood test anyway - he probably thinks i'm crazy....

Old 08-11-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi cloudy,
it does not matter what the doctor thinks. it matters what you think. doctors can be replaced. there are lots of them.
even tho it hurts, if you have fibromyalgia exercise is vital. starting is not easy. it is worth it tho. i have spent the past year losing 50 pounds and getting my muscle tone back. still have a ways to go. had a stroke last march and that factors in. yesterday i ran, yes ran, for 2 minutes on the treadmill at physical therapy. i am still ringing with delight. now i am past 50 so this really is a big deal to me. who would have thought that a decade ago when i was in a wheelchair that i would be able to run again. not me. had knee surgery in may so running is a gift. just knowing i can feels so good.
there is a list from tkgoodspirit at the top of the front page. print it out and fill it out and take it to your doctor. remember, how you present yourself means alot. stand tall, be strong and know what you want. go prepared with your list in hand. write your questions down so you don't lose track and get confused.
my son is bipolar. it is a hard road, little sister. i am proud of you for taking the meds. wish my son would. remember, no matter what life hands you, you are a goddess and you can do it! we women are resiliant and powerful beings.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
(female)

cloudydaze22 HB User

Thanks for your kind words

I quit taking meds (for bipolar) about a year ago, but now i'm ready to start fresh. My psychiatrist was not a very good doctor, so i'm finding a new one. I know I need to be on meds, but all the meds my old doc put me on had awful side effects - and not one of them worked for me. Probably because I need to be on a mood stabalizer and not just antidepressants. I've taken 3 psychology classes, and I think I know more than my old doc did!

Old 08-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
(female)

Rintention HB User

Hi There-

You sound so much like me!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

JudyL HB User

Cloudy if your doctor says its all in your head,
then its time to move on.!!!!

there is no need for you to have to be in pain and endure other symptoms from problems that you have.

You need a doctor who believes you and is willing to make you as comfortable as possible.

Unfortunelty..there are still thick headed doctors out there that will have the nerve to say that it is all in your head. Is your doctor an older person.

Your symtoms do sound like fms..but remember not two people have the exact symptoms but we do have many things in common.

juju

Closed Thread