It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
(female)

jhazzie HB User
Question fibro plus adhd

hello!
i''m new to this board and live in the uk where fibromyalgia and adhd are much underdiagnosed and recognised.
i have both - late diagnosis 49 and 50 years of age.
i read on another site that ther is a link between fibro and adhd now being put forward and i would be interested to know if any others have both conditions?
many thanks,
jhazzie

Old 08-11-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: fibro plus adhd

welcome jhazzie,
i would like to welcome you here. you will find information and support with us. i do not have adhd. i have not heard anything, but then my days of trying to find any connection are over. i am also over 50 and have been doing this health thing for over a decade.
how i got it became unimportant as i realized my energy was better spent adapting and getting as healthy as i can, given my body and of course the delights of aging!
again i welcome you.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
(female)

tweiler HB User

I grew up ADHD. I had testing done when I was 3 and my brain doesn't function normally but in a good way. My parents were told, after months of testing, that my body doesn't produce some required "chemicals" at all for some and at levels that are too low for others. So maybe that does have something to do with all my other problems. Growing up I always was the one to develop allergies just like my parents had. I have never been "normal" but I have learned to live with it.

Old 08-12-2006, 04:17 AM   #4
(female)

jhazzie HB User

thank you for taking time to reply! i completetely understand about exhausting yourself trying to find connetions but that's the way my brain works unfortunately as i like to make sense of things. i am sure i will gain valluable insight from people here and i hope i can contribute also!
take care,
jhazzie

Old 08-12-2006, 05:33 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi jhazzi,
my brain used to work that way too. still does in many arenas, just not fibro. there is no rhyme or reason. after more than a decade know what i figured out? it is what it is. so i chose to focus on "is" instead of "why". so much more peaceful. once i focused on my "is" i found 'why' no longer mattered to me. i asked myself, will having a "why" really make a change in how i feel? the answer was no. how i got it is not as important to me as how i live with it.
i also spent several years in therapy. graduated with honors. i am at peace with my body, my reality and my life. this gifts me with more healing than any pill, herb or potion. thru all this i realized what a gift fibromyalgia is for me. i would not trade it away. it serves me well. keeps me focused on the things that really matter in life. like friendship, love, good food, pretty flowers and blue skies.
i am off to play on my mountain this weekend and dance for us all. for our healing of spirit, strength of mind, openness of heart.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-12-2006, 05:43 AM   #6
(female)

jhazzie HB User

completely agree bluelakelady. i manage with minimum medication and use hypnotherapy and john levine's wonderful alpha music which also has an incredilble effect on the blood glucose levels of my 3 diabetic cats. highly recommend it!
take care,
jhazzie

ps wish i had a montain to play on - cambridge is flat as pancake - i am originally from edinburgh so used to hills!

Old 08-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

hi jhazzi,
well, you simply must use your imagination on the days when you are in pain and come to my mountain. it overlooks a huge lake and on the other side is a volcano. at night the lights across the lake glisten like the stars above me. it is so quiet you hear the owls conversing and crickets sing.
from sunrise to sunset it is lovely there. quiet, serene. so you come with all the others and play with me. mostly we bake goodies and have tea and coffee and chat. glojer, bilij, goldenwings, jen, and i know i am missing some. i always do.
your imagination is your most powerful asset. especially on tough days. take yourself somewhere within that you find peace and pleasure in. i have many places. it is the mountain i share because it is real.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
(female)

jhazzie HB User

snap bluelakeladay - but instead of a mountain i have a garden. i put my music on and i drift off there and tend my tomato plants and sit in my swing and plan food for friends sho are going to come and share and i watch my beautiful cats enjjoy the open spaces, the long grasses to hide in and the pond which one of them likes to fish in. i go there to pace myself and to rest and to write the next chapter of my book. it is a healing place.
everyone should have one.
take care,
jhazzie

Old 08-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
(female)

rog123 HB User
Thumbs up Re: fibro plus adhd

That is a wonderful way to think bluelakelady. Fibro does not have to be a limiting condition. I have had it for about 7 years. I have been through a divorce, I am raising a 5 year old, I am a single Mom and work full time while trying to manage my fibro and life. I can definilty say that I am a stronger person for all of this. It has taught me to not focus on the things we can not change but to look ahead and pray that someday they may know why we get it and how to fix it. Right now I take it one day at a time and try things to see if they help me through the day. Prayer and God has been the best thing. I will keep all of you in my prayers....

Have a great day and be thankful for TODAY.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:58 AM   #10

debbiejarrell HB User

I was diagnosed with FMA about 20 years ago. I suspect that I also have ADHD but have decided it is not life-threatening and I can't afford to spend more money on medical bills to find out if I have it.

I have a terrible time focusing on a project for any amount of time. I also think I have to have something to occupy my mind constantly and I think this contributes to the frequent headaches that I have. Does this soud like you Jhazzie? Sometimes the dumbest things come out of my mouth because my brain is going 90 miles per hour and I say things before I think about them.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
(female)

Kaetea1 HB User

I have found that there is a relationship between fibromyalgia (fms) and many other ailments we all seem to have. I have low blood sugar, an underactive thyroid, ADD, IBS, migraines (mostly complex migraines), peridontal disease, GURD, SAD, vertigo, asthma, allergies, memory loss, brain fog, and the list goes on. The docs all try to say that none of these are related. Yet my research indicates just the opposite. Many FMers have a lot of the same symptoms. When this is brought up to the MDs however, they all treat you like a hypochondric. My hypoglycemia was diagnosed after a 5 hour glucose tolerance test, my under active thyroid after the lack of thyroid hormone nearly killed me. I had a severe allergic reaction to something, never found out what, but everything swelled up except thank goodness my throat. A shot of epinephrine brought down the swelling but triggered a complex migraine. Allergy tests showed some fairly minor allergies but nothing that would start an anaphalctic reaction. I have to have the scar tissue broken up in my esouphegus about every 2 years due to acid damage from GURD. So it's not all in my head. It not unusual for me to have several muscle spasms going on in my back from my lower left side, up next to my spine and across my shoulders. My daughter, a masseuse, found over 5 spasms in my left leg from my hip down to my ankle. This, for me, is life. I adjust the best I can, focus on those things I can still do, and ignore the pain as best I can. Most drugs don't work for me. I've tried several of the anti depressants but the side effects aren't worth what ever pain killing ability they have. As I already fight chronic fatigue, I don't need more drugs to put me into a stupor. What good does it do to be relatively pain free if I can't get myself out of bed and enjoy life. I'm trying to watch my nutrition and try to keep myh treatment as natural as possible.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 AM   #12
(female)

amcd92958 HB User

have both-

also noticed since menopause that my adhd has gotten much worse (of course) and fibro about the same.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User

I have both too; Fibro was diagnosed less than 3 years ago, ADHD 2 months ago.

I'm 58, and post-menopausal, and have lots and lots of other things wrong too. Kind of like a sign of the times, eh?

Closed Thread