It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #1

debbiejarrell HB User
Bad Weekend Headaches

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have had FMA for 20 years. I have not been active on the boards for sometime now because was feeling pretty great for awhile. My problem now is that I am having terrible headaches every weekend. This has been going on for about 8 months now. They feel like tension headaches. On Monday the headache is gone and my neck and shoulders are sore. I had to go to the hospital once because the pain was so bad and over the counter pain meds were not helping. My OB/GYN doctor prescribed 800 mg Ibuprophin for me and they help but I have to take one every Sat and Sund. Sometimes I have to take 2. I have these headaches sometimes through the week but not often. I had this problem for a few months in 2004 and had an MRI done. The results were fine.
I have been putting off going to my doctor about it because I know she will want me to have a bunch of tests done and I can't afford it I already owe enough medical bills! It is really affecting the quality of my life.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User
Re: Bad Weekend Headaches

I know what headaches are like. I have a headache that literally NEVER goes away. It is always there bugging me. Then it gets worse and worse, turns into a full blown migraine headache and eventually subsides to that little headache still bugging me.

I remember going through tons of tests to make sure nothing was wrong, like a tumor, but everything got ruled out. They said it was just headaches . . . severe . . . but headaches none the less.

I pretty much load up on ibuprofin or tylenol extra strength or advil or something and go to sleep when it gets bad, which is quite often. I would say I have a full blown migraine 3 or 4 days out of every week.

I'd say you should make sure everything is okay by getting tests done, but if you can't afford it, I don't know . . .

I wouldn't think anything is dangerously wrong though because if it's just on the weekends . . . that's weird.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Debbie,

It sure sounds like something environmental/controllable/traceable. Stuff like brain tumors that cause headaches aren't fussy about the day of the week. Ditto the hormonal/cyclical headaches which are common in women.

What happens when you have a whole week of vacation? Or if you say took Thurs. & Fri. off work? Careful observation may help you figure out what is triggering this nasty situation. Here's a checklist of ideas:

1) Ergonomics at work. If your chair or work stresses upper back & neck, that can result in a tension headache after many days. Ditto poor posture while working.

2) Any special work tasks that you do on Thurs. & Fri. that might contribute to muscle strain or exposure to cleaners/chemicals/environments that contain smelly or toxic stuff. Chemical sensitivities are not uncommon in fibro.

3) End-of-the-week celebrations -- alcoholic beverages, certain foods, even MSG in a celebration pizza can trigger cluster headaches in those who are sensitive. Fri. night dates that result in exposure to certain fragrances / chemicals/hairspray/spermicides can trigger headaches.

4) Stress of catching up on the home front -- this can be significant.

5) Ergonomics while catching up on the home front -- is there something you're doing to stress upper back/neck when doing catch-up.

6) Chemical exposures at home while doing catchup -- laundry & cleaning compounds. It's possible to have tolerated these in the past but to now be showing sensitivity via headache.

7) Something in your home that is triggering an allergic reaction. New furniture, carpet, or pets?

8) Variations in sleep --staying up late or sleeping in late have been known to trigger headache syndromes in some people.

9) Variations in caffeine intake -- some people guzzle high test at the office & nothing on the weekend & that will set up for nasty headaches.

10) Mold exposure anywhere -- at home or at work, can trigger both fibro-like symptoms as well as neurological symptoms like headache. It can happen in people who have allergies to common molds (see allergist), but there are also some specific types of mold that are just plain outright toxic.

Others may have ideas as well. Best wishes on your detective work.

Last edited by elmhar; 08-14-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #4

debbiejarrell HB User

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I agree that it has to be something environmental. I have been unable to pinpoint it yet but I hate feeling bad every weekend! I think that something is making my muscles tense in my head and neck and FMA it is making it worse. Like I said I have been feeling really great for months. No stiffness and pain in the morning, after having it for 18 years.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

debbie have you tried taking a Fri. off work and perhaps going away for the weekend to see if the headache shows up. That way you can determine if it is environmental in your home or perhaps behavorial somehow. Good Luck.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glojer
debbie have you tried taking a Fri. off work and perhaps going away for the weekend to see if the headache shows up. That way you can determine if it is environmental in your home or perhaps behavorial somehow. Good Luck.
Yeah, take a mini vacation and enjoy it! while you figure it out . . .

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 08-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #7

debbiejarrell HB User

Yes I have tried that. I did not have a headache of Friday. I have not tried drinking a cup of coffee, which I do every day at work, and working out on the weekends. I really do believe is behavorial but I wonder if FMA is contributing to the problem somehow. Since I was diagnosed with FMA years ago I have always had episodes of pain in a specific area for weeks/months then it moves to somewhere else on my body.

Closed Thread