It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
(female)

HollyInMissouri HB User
Question Cymbalta ???'s Please help...

I was perscribed Cymbalta for my Fibro pain in which is miserable..I feel like sometimes I am the only one who understands what I go thru..My gosh there are days I don't even want to get out of bed..I stay tired, semi depressed b/c of feeling like everyone thinks I am out of my mind..Well recently I went to a Dr. about it and he put me on Cymbalta for it and I took it for a few days, but it made me quite nausieated...I quit it pretty quickly b/c of that..But I hear so many rave reviews about it helping out for the pain that I can't help but think that maybe I should start up again!! Does it help like I hear?? And if so what can I do to help with the nausea?? I have what they call drug induced fibro as I took Amitryp for quite a while then just quit taking it one day as the side effects were terrible and it wasn't long after that I started experincing the pain of what was later diagnosed as Fibro!! So if anyone can help me out please do so???? Thank You..

Old 08-20-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User
Re: Cymbalta ???'s Please help...

All of us are different when it comes to Fibro. That includes pain, and meds. I have been on Cymbalta for over a year and a half, and I am doing great on it. Some people don.t. Quick questions?? What dosage did you start out on, and when do you take it??? I was VERY sick for 3 days when I started it, but then took it at bed time after that, and I have been fine. Dosage is key too, always starting out with low dose, and building up. Hope that you feel better soon.

Sid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
(female)

HollyInMissouri HB User

Thanks sid I was taking it during the day time and I don't even think I gave it time to work..I think I only took it for a couple of days..I might try it at night and see what it does for me...

Old 08-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Holly,

In some people the nausea passes with time, in others it doesn't. So maybe you want to give the Cymbalta another shot. Research shows that in a certain fraction of fibro sufferers, the SSNRIs are very helpful for pain-reduction as well as depression. In another fraction of fibro sufferers, the SSNRIs help with depression & low energy, but do little for pain.

I'm wondering, have you had any success with an ordinary SSRI? Like Prozac, or Zoloft, Paxil, Luvox? Some people have difficulty tolerating the norepi portion of Cymbalta. Even if an SSRI only improved depression & energy, it might be worth considering.

Best wishes.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
(female)

atrooterisu HB User

Call your doc and ask for some zofran or phenergan; they are an anti-emetics (reduces nausea). Cymbalta does cause nausea in some, but it shall pass in a few weeks. It really is a good drug and worth trying, so please call your doc! Good luck.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
(female)

spiritofsal HB User
Cool Re: Cymbalta ???'s Please help...

Hi Holly, I am on Cymbalta and it works okay for me. Thankfully, I have not experienced any side effects. I was on Prozac for so long that it was starting to lose its effectiveness, so that's when a friend suggested I try Cymbalta. Prozac, and now Cymbalta are the only depression medications that I have been able to take. From the others I always experienced too many side effects.

I believe Cymbalta is a medication that doctor's prescribe to help with depression. Supposedly, it also helps others with their pain as well. The pain that it may help in people may be the pain associated with depression. Who knows? Everyone is different.

For me, Cymbalta does not help with my pain, as mine is pretty severe. I also take pain medications in addition to Cymbalta. You may want to try what others suggested and try it at night and see how it works. If you are able to get through it then that would be great. I wish you the best of luck.

I think half the battle of fibromyalgia, etc... is finding the right combination of medications that work the best for you. GBU

Sally

Old 08-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
(female)

HollyInMissouri HB User

Thanks everyone..You have been so helpful I am glad to have health boards they are a blessing...Holly

Old 08-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Holly, just a quick suggestion about the nausea meds suggested. Be sure to ask your pharmacist first about the cost of zofran if you decide to ask your doc for it. It is a very expensive drug (over $400.00 for 12 pills) of course what you pay depends on your insurance. It is a wonderful drug for nausea though, my husband used it during chemo and swears by it for nausea.

Closed Thread