It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

aleenia HB User
Red face blood tests and fibromyalgia - please help

hi all,

i went in for a second round of blood tests today as my first ones came back with my white blood cells slightly increased, as was my sed rate (the nurse who called me back with the first results told me it was nothing to worry about, but the doctor i saw today seemed to think differently. we're talking an increase of about one point on both results - sed rate 22 and cbc 11.4).

my question (which i forgot to ask the doctor) is, is this normal/usual with fibromyalgia?

i have had terrible back pain for the last two months - in the middle of my back, which is getting worse. i have aches in my shoulders and shoulder blades, and my buttocks. i am having flu like symptoms but never have a high temperature. my hands ache badly too.

he is leaning towards fibromyalgia, but wants to do further blood tests. i am just freaking out here thinking i have a tumor on my spine! i am in so much pain and NOTHING helps get rid of it... except a couple of strong drinks. i cannot go down that road though - i don't want to become dependent on something like alcohol.

the pain i feel in my back, is upper and central and it feels like a constant burning or pinching feeling. does anyone else have this with fibro?

please do give me your feedback - i am getting absolutely desparate and i'm SO scared

Last edited by aleenia; 08-21-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

HollyInMissouri HB User
Re: blood tests and fibromyalgia - please help

I am going thru that as we speak..I had increased white blood cells, a sed rate of like 38 and at one point 60 somehing..It freaked me out...So I went to a rhuematologist and he told me that I def had fibromyalgia..And gave me Mag-ox 400, calcium citrate, flexril, cymbalta, and I also was on heart meds.( Not to scare you but I started having palpations about the same time I first started having probs with my fibro..Now me being the hard headed dork I am I am not on anything trying to tough it out myself..Well much to my dismay I have ran into a severe flare up...The tops of my shoulders are very bad, going up the sides of my neck and parallel to my spine..I have many many active trigger points in those areas..I can't turn my head to the left or the right and it is hard to look up and down...I am in misery..Went back to Dr. today and all he would do for me is pop my neck and back..He refused to give me any meds as he said it was cause I needed aligned..So now I am stuck between a rock and a hard spot..I am getting ready to buy stock in Ben Gay LOL...Anyways I hope that helps ya out some..Holly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

aleenia HB User

holly, yes that really does help. just to know that having elevated white blood cells and ESR aren't necessarily anything to worry about is good, because i've been worrying myself silly.

i have another question for you though. i have found some rather sore pressure points - one being on my shoulders/top of my arms. is this a usual place? the skin feels raw to the touch, and then if i poke my finger on the spot, it feels like the bone is tender.

i have just read that fibromyalgia is muscle and not bone related, but it really feels like the bones are tender sometimes. is this normal?

i have been having terrible pains in my buttocks, hips, shoulders and cental back over the past few days.

edit: i just read your post again and forgot to mention that i too have palpatations. i also have a very fast heartrate - around 95-100+. the palpatations i get are normally at night, in bed.

Last edited by aleenia; 08-22-2006 at 08:24 AM.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
(female)

HollyInMissouri HB User

I do sometimes feel the bone pain as well..My heart rate varys from about 95-100...I hurt in some of the wierdest places..Like today I am having a good day..And I am going to knock on wood as I don't want to jinx myself into a bad day..LOL..But it also costed me almost $600.00 to have this good day as yesterday I went and bought a new matress, pillows, and muscle rub...LOL..Anyways I hope that helps some..TTYL..Holly.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

aleenia HB User

yesterday i had a good day, hardly without pain (maybe the odd twinge or skin rawness), but today i have my back pain again. our bed is awful - we have one of those dial-up air mattress thingies, but it doesn't work properly. it's a queen size for starters, and my husband and i aren't exactly small, so we don't have much room. then when one person gets out of bed, the otherside deflates. it's a nightmare to turn over in. i'm wondering if that's part of the reason my back is hurting.

however, today i have pain where my gallbladder use to be (it was removed about 10 years ago) - it's very tender to the touch. i'm wondering if my liver is ok.

going back to beds though - i think we might invest in a good kingsize bed. i need space to completely stretch out. with me, the husband and the cat (who insists on sleeping inbetween us) it's just tooooo much.

hope you're enjoying your new bed :)

Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 PM   #6
(female)

Izzybella HB User

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

aleenia HB User

thank you izzy, that does help a lot.

i had a call early this morning about my repeat blood test and the nurse said that my CBC was within normal range, but my Sed Rate was up to 24 now. they want to do a repeat in 4 weeks. i feel better just knowing that my CBC is lower - that was the one that was freaking me out a bit.

thanks for the hug :) *sends one back*

Closed Thread