It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

canadianmom HB User
Fibro and peri meno...anyone else?

Hi everyone. I posted this in the menopause forum and haven't received any replies so I thought I would try here. I was dx with fibromyalgia in my mid 30's. I am now 46 and in peri. For the last month I have been in the worst muscle pain and stiffness I have ever felt! Its my entire body but the worst is my back and my abdominal muscles. I wake up in the night(if I'm lucky enough to sleep) barely being able to move. Muscles at times spasm so bad all I can do is lay with hot water bottle and cry. Anyone else going through the same thing? Is peri making my fibro worse? Any suggestions that you might have to cope with this all would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

aleenia HB User
Re: Fibro and peri meno...anyone else?

hi there,

i just posted in another thread about the relationship of FM to hormones. i don't have any proof and i've not done enough reading, but i'm sure that there are hormones that can make it flare up.

i suffer from pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which means my hormone are completely up the creek. lately they've been going haywire and my monthly cycle is just crazy. around the same time that my cycle started going weird (i.e. weirder than usual - i've never, ever been a regular person), i got these FM pains.

i also remember that my mother, around the time of her menopause, suffered with cronic fatigue syndrome. she was also under a LOT of stress as her mother had died not long before, from a long battle with alzheimers.

hormones, stress... i think they have a huge impact.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
(female)

canadianmom HB User

Thanks aleenia your your reply. My 16 year old daughter has PCOS so I certainly know what your going through. Stress certainly makes fibro worse and I guess when our hormones are crazy we are stressed both physically and mentally. I hope your mother has gotten through menopause and is feeling much better. Good luck to you both!

Old 09-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi CM,

Yes, it's entirely possible that some hormone or another is causing your fibro to flare. BUT, most MDs prefer to treat symptoms rather than to look at causes. If you're interested in hormonal eval for fibro (estro, progesterone, testosterone, thyroid & adrenal), I'd recommend a naturopath. An OBGYN might do some limited testing.

Hormonal issues have played a big role in my fibro pain, even more so as I became post-menopausal mama.

Have you done any research on magnesium? It can help relax muscle spasms & alleviate pain. Many fibro sufferers swear by it.

Best wishes.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
(female)

canadianmom HB User

Thanks Elmhar for your thoughts. I have found magnesium helps with the muscle pain but flares up the IBS so I have to be careful on how much I take. Thanks again

Closed Thread