It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
(male)

withheavyheart HB User
New to boards and looking for support and help with questions

Hello
This is my first time posting on this sight and I was looking for some support and/or some help with some questions. My girlfriend is 29 years old and has been suffering from fibromyalgia for some time now. She has been in so much pain that she has had to check herself into the “hospital” for the last two weeks to try to get her medications straightened out. The fibromyalgia has led to her falling into a deep depression that despite my best efforts has not been able to help break. She is currently on a large array of medications and is struggling with some of the side-effects. Her doctors won’t listen to her much less give her the time of day right now. She is suffering from hallucinations, dizziness, numbness in the side of her head when stress occurs, total mood swings (which is totally out of character for her and very frightening), and is starting to hear voices and music while meditating and/or praying. She is also having a hard time reading and writing in her journals as she is starting to get double vision at times.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this type of medication combination and/or has suffered some of these effects. We are trying to limit some of these one by one but the doctors are not cooperating with us and will not listen to our pleas. Now at the same time she has been without the fibro pain for about 6 days while in the hospital and is really just suffering from the depression and/or chemical side-effects

Here is what she is currently being prescribed while in the hospital…

Carisoprodol 350mg (soma) x2 per day
Clonazepam 2mg x1per day
Lamotrigine 37.5mg(lamictal) x1 perday
Lithium carb cr tab 450 mg x1per day
Lithium carb er tab 300mg x1per day
Quetaipine (seroquel)150mg x1perday
Tramadol 100mg (ultram) x2perday
Zipprasidone100mg (geodone) x1 perday
Adderall 10mg x2 perday
Clonazepam 1mg (klonopin) x1perday

We are very concerned about the geodone and also the seroquel and what effects they are having. Has anyone ever seen this type of combination??…….Any help at all would be much appriciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: New to boards and looking for support and help with questions

welcome heart,
the last i saw a med list like that was a close girlfriend. may i suggest you shop around for new doctors? it is a hassle but well worth it when you find the right one.
sometimes the med mix can cause worsening of depression. sounds to me like she is not on the right mix. the side affects you describe are not to be ignored. be tough with the doctor. refuse to leave without your answers. have you researched the meds and cross referenced the side effects? some meds alone are good, but when mixed with others alter in their side effects.
you give that lovely lady of yours a big hug for me and tell her she is not alone. she now has all of us for her new family and we totally understand.
you hang in there. it is a rocky road this thing called life. know that you are both cradled in the arms of all of us here.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps my friend who was on all the meds also had horrid mood swings. she could be an angel one moment and a total B the next. drove away alot of people who loved her. me, i stayed till the end.

Last edited by bluelakelady; 09-01-2006 at 05:28 AM.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User

Blue is right..... I saw that list of drugs and wondered why your friend is still alive.. My suggestion is to get her to a REALLY good Rhuemy that understands Fibro and will treat her without overdosing her. My goodness no wonder she hears and sees things. You are an for sticking by her.... I do hope that she gets some help soon, and some relief....

Old 09-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
(female)

cosmo HB User

I almost wonder if she should be weaned off everything, while in the hospital so she is in a safe environment, to see what happens. If her fibro pain comes back, then they can give her something for that. But Blue is probably right - the combination of these medications may make her worse! Best of luck!

Old 09-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

oh my gosh, that is quite a combination, i agree with the others, shop around for a new doctor or get mighty tough with this one you have now. Your girlfriend cant fight for herself right now, so you have to do it for her. dont give up until you get the answers you need and that satisfy you.
It could very well be that she could do without the combination of drugs shes on right now, it might be as simple as that, but with your doctor not listening to your concerns or is concerned what your girlfriend is going thru, its a mess. will be saying prayers for you and your gf and for the doc to wake up and smell the coffee, theres a young lady that is hurting and going thru a rough time, and he took an oath to ease his patients pain, whether physical or emotional, or both.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:42 AM   #6
(female)

kidd123 HB User

Too many drugs! My mom is a severe bi-polar patient, and she has never been on that many potent drugs at one time before. She has had awful reactions to both geodon and seroquel. Not saying that it is that way for all people, but since you asked I had to share our experience with those 2 drugs.
In fact, my mother is doing very well now on Neurontin and a high dose of Omega-3 capsules (which are noted for being a great non-med treatment for depression). I agree with the opinion that your girlfriend needs a new Dr.
My dad has gone through many Dr's before he found the latest one that listens to both my mom & my dad when prescribing treatment.
It is difficult, but you need to do this for your girlfriend. Thank you for being such an upstanding guy!

Last edited by kidd123; 09-02-2006 at 06:45 AM.

Closed Thread