It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Input needed

Has anyone taken Accutane? Besides Fibro I will be tested for other things.

I told my sister tonight that I had taken accutane and she went OFF, she said do you know how bad that drug is? I was like No, I took it in my late teens for acne, and it was new. They told me not to get pregnant and they kept an eye on my liver.

Well I did some research online, the long term affect of this drug isnt good. I read you can develop:

Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) -Bowel inflammation and pain, stomach and intestinal discomfort, urinary discomfort
Crohn's Disease
Ulcerative Colitis
Kidney Damage
Liver Damage
Hepatitis
Hepatotoxicity
Musculoskeletal Disorders
Multiple Sclerosis
Diabetes

Did anyone know this???

Hope

Old 09-07-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Input needed

hi hope,
yes i did. i considered taking it a couple of years ago. i am allergic to my own hair. i shave my head bald. i was told the accutane would clear it up but was told to really think on the side affects. i decided to stay bald till they come up with another idea that has less side affects.
sorry sis went off, however she is worried about her sis, you. why were you put on it this time if i may ask? and by the way, did it clear up your skin when you were a teen? curious.
good to see you little sister.
peace and love,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2006, 06:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelakelady
hi hope,
yes i did. i considered taking it a couple of years ago. i am allergic to my own hair. i shave my head bald. i was told the accutane would clear it up but was told to really think on the side affects. i decided to stay bald till they come up with another idea that has less side affects.
sorry sis went off, however she is worried about her sis, you. why were you put on it this time if i may ask? and by the way, did it clear up your skin when you were a teen? curious.
good to see you little sister.
peace and love,
bluelakelady
Hi Bluekakelady,

I was on it around 15-16yrs of age...Im 38 now. It was new and I had very bad acne. We tried everything even weekly trips to the dermatologist. Nothing worked. A friend of my mothers son was on it and his face was totally cleared up by this med. It was NEW and my dr ran blood tests on me once a week to make sure my liver was ok. Back then they didn't know all these side effects. I saw the new release form you have to signe before they will give you the med. My mother would have NEVER have signed that thing. She doesn't like side effects of headache meds!!!

With all my symptoms (one being the palms of my hands being real red and in the summer time they get redder w/humidity and they burn and hurt), my sister asked me have you been checked for Lupus!

I never told any of my Drs that I was on this med, didn't ever really think of it, now my sis told me that I need to tell them, she also found out that because Ive been on this medicine that I cannot give blood!!!!!

I read that you can have long term problems, but this all started 10yrs after taken the meds.

I'm happy to hear you decided against it, you were well informed unlike my mother.

Hope

Old 09-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi hope,
sis has valid points. even if her delivery was maybe not as gentle as you would have appreciated.
the lupus i have is sun related only. it is always a good idea to check it out. it's only a bit of blood and alot of peace of mind.
let me know what your doc says about the accutane and for sure ask for the blood work to be done. check liver, kidney functions, heck check it all. just tell your doc you want answers and peace of mind. time to weed out what you don't have so you can focus on the goodies you do have.
i don't pop any pill in my mouth till i read up on it.
years ago moms were only told what to give their kids. for me it was a drug for hyperactive children i gave my son. he has his health issues too. we moms try. thankfully doctors are asking more than they are telling now.
let me know what the doc says please.
love and peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Bluelakelady,

A few years ago I was tested for RA and lupus, my tests were fine. I also know that you can have negative tests and still have lupus. Makes you wonder why go to the Dr...lol

I don't know why my hands are like this but its at the top of my list to talk to the Dr about, then my wonderful HIPS

Thanks for your advice

Hope

Old 09-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

hi hope,
anytime. let me know what your doc says, please.
time for my nap.
love and peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread